Saints to cut Darren Sproles

Fixxxer

This kind of move is exactly what I've been talking about for a while now. Good teams lose their FAs on occasion. It happens. It's the NFL and it's the nature of the business. I bet the Saints fans are doing the very same thing us Bills fans do to OJ their message boards. Jumping off bridges and doom and gloom is most likely happening right this minute down in the bayou.

The only difference here is that Saints fans can believe that this move is happening to try and save money for Jimmy Graham. Which IMO, they'll never be able to cut enough to sign him. But well have to wait and see on that.

It's funny because there is a lot of doom and gloom here. I actually think that it was time for them to move on from Moore, Sproles, etc... They need some fresh guys and perhaps a little more athleticism. That core wasn't getting any younger and there is a gap between them and the top teams in the NFC that they need to try to close (and quickly).

I have actually heard some harsh words directed towards Brees for his contract structure and massive cap hit. It goes up like another $6M next year. The Saints had a bunch of other guys restructure last year (Bunkley, Grubbs and Lofton I believe to name a few) so they really cant go back to that well. The Who Dats are a little frustrated and they are in a tough spot cap wise.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got that right Kirby. They are in cap hell right next to Lucifer himself wearing a Brees jersey. No player in this league should be making that much when iteans you have to cut other players to make room. I get that the Saints are all Brees but they are going to suffer from it. That team is on a downward spiral because of him and his ridiculous contract. If they do manage to cut enough to sign Graham, they will be no where within a few years with 2 extremely overpaid players trying to do everything.

Edited by mrags

This kind of move is exactly what I've been talking about for a while now. Good teams lose their FAs on occasion. It happens. It's the NFL and it's the nature of the business. I bet the Saints fans are doing the very same thing us Bills fans do to OJ their message boards. Jumping off bridges and doom and gloom is most likely happening right this minute down in the bayou.

The only difference here is that Saints fans can believe that this move is happening to try and save money for Jimmy Graham. Which IMO, they'll never be able to cut enough to sign him. But well have to wait and see on that.

They already have enough to sign him. And most fans are accepting it as the patriot way, despite frustration. Sproles will be 31 this offseason. As will Moore. They are good role players but you have to cycle role players to keep key guys. Hence teams like the pats end up with 45+ out if 53 guys cycling through the roster every couple years.

Edited by NoSaint

They already have enough to sign him. And most fans are accepting it as the patriot way. Sproles will be 31 this offseason. As will Moore. They are good role players but you have to cycle role players to keep key guys. Hence teams like the pats end up with 45+ out if 53 guys cycling through the roster every couple years.

dont disagree. and usually the fans in their fan sights flip out and want to jump off bridges because of it.

They're not cutting to sign Graham. They need to cut 11 mill to sign rookies.

The Saints went all in for another Super Bowl. They lost and now it's time to pay the piper.

Graham is a pipe dream until they get their cap in order.

The fans can be made for the FO for getting jammed up against the camp but at least their FO took a shot.

Got that right Kirby. They are in cap hell right next to Lucifer himself wearing a Brees jersey. No player in this league should be making that much when iteans you have to cut other players to make room. I get that the Saints are all Brees but they are going to suffer from it. That team is on a downward spiral because of him and his ridiculous contract. If they do manage to cut enough to sign Graham, they will be no where within a few years with 2 extremely overpaid players trying to do everything.

I think they've cleared Graham's dollars sufficiently, honestly. Next year colston will go and that'll be the last piece. I also think they add a WR early in the draft this year (allegedly love the kid from Oregon st). The hard ball right now, especially squeezing graham, will translate to cam Jordan's deal I think.

It's funny because there is a lot of doom and gloom here. I actually think that it was time for them to move on from Moore, Sproles, etc... They need some fresh guys and perhaps a little more athleticism. That core wasn't getting any younger and there is a gap between them and the top teams in the NFC that they need to try to close (and quickly).

I have actually heard some harsh words directed towards Brees for his contract structure and massive cap hit. It goes up like another $6M next year. The Saints had a bunch of other guys restructure last year (Bunkley, Grubbs and Lofton I believe to name a few) so they really cant go back to that well. The Who Dats are a little frustrated and they are in a tough spot cap wise.

Evans and Lewis are likely restructures- colston would be but he will be cut next year, in my opinion. If they don't approach colston, you can bank on him being gone by this time next year.

I think they've cleared Graham's dollars sufficiently, honestly. Next year colston will go and that'll be the last piece. I also think they add a WR early in the draft this year (allegedly love the kid from Oregon st). The hard ball right now, especially squeezing graham, will translate to cam Jordan's deal I think.

Evans and Lewis are likely restructures- colston would be but he will be cut next year, in my opinion. If they don't approach colston, you can bank on him being gone by this time next year.

Before cutting Moore and Sproles they needed to clear 11 mill just to sign rookies. That's not to sign Graham.

They're no where near done when it comes to clearing space. Next you'll see a whole bunch of restructures.

It's going to get worse for the Saints before it gets better.

I see the Ravens with the same problem the Saints are having and I think it's worse given that Flacco is no Brees.

The fans can be made for the FO for getting jammed up against the camp but at least their FO took a shot.

you say that like this FO has never taken a shot. What about Walker, Dockery, Owens, Spiller, Stevie, Mario, and Mark Anderson.

Why is it so different than what the saints have done? Oh, because we suck and have for years and the Saints are good and have been for years.

This reminds me of:

"Why are all your moves so noble and I'm the idiot piece of s#%t?"

-Edward Norton

Before cutting Moore and Sproles they needed to clear 11 mill just to sign rookies. That's not to sign Graham.

They're no where near done when it comes to clearing space. Next you'll see a whole bunch of restructures.

It's going to get worse for the Saints before it gets better.

Even with Graham's 7m tag included they have 3m in space. You can sign graham long term without grossly expanding that number. If you add cutting Thomas, and the two restructures I mentioned they have plenty to sign rookies and potentially add a few role players. Might even see bunkley as a June 1 cut.

Next year 12m+ in dead money comes off, colstons a cut and you see cam jordan get paid.

We have this thread about them nearly every year.

Edited by NoSaint

Its Graham and Brees actually who combined will take up about 25% of their cap

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Sproles resign with them though. They could afford to cut Moore bc they have that rookie who played pretty well last year

Except after years and years of flat cap, the cap is (supposedly) going to jump to 145 mil and then 160 the year after...

I see the Ravens with the same problem the Saints are having and I think it's worse given that Flacco is no Brees.

yup. The Seahawks won't be far behind with Wilson, Sherman and Chancellor coming up as well. 2 of the 3 will get paid enough to make them the highest paid at their positions in thenfl when the time is up and Wilson will demand a lot. Maybe not Brees, Flacco money but I'd say top 10 in the league.

49ers won't be far behind either.

Its Graham and Brees actually who combined will take up about 25% of their cap

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Sproles resign with them though. They could afford to cut Moore bc they have that rookie who played pretty well last year

Is that true? 2 players taking 1/4 of the cap? That's phucked no matter how you look at it. I can't believe that's true. How can a team mis-manage the cap to that extent?

GO BILLS!!!

Even with Graham's 7m tag included they have 3m in space. You can sign graham long term without grossly expanding that number. If you add cutting Thomas, and the two restructures I mentioned they have plenty to sign rookies and potentially add a few role players. Might even see bunkley as a June 1 cut.

Next year 12m+ in dead money comes off, colstons a cut and you see cam jordan get paid.

We have this thread about them nearly every year.

It's kind of funny because I do not think that the Saints have cut or not resigned one player whose production that they cannot replace. The only guys that the cannot replace IMO are Brees, Graham, Galette, and Jordan. They have some other good players but those are the guys that I think that they have to have.

Is that true? 2 players taking 1/4 of the cap? That's phucked no matter how you look at it. I can't believe that's true. How can a team mis-manage the cap to that extent?

GO BILLS!!!

Not that strange on established teams. Brady and gronk? Manning and whoever their #2 contract is...every franchise qb plus the #2 contract... heck stafford, suh, and johnson are all huge.

Mario and Stevie even combine for 20%+

Edited by NoSaint

Not that strange on established teams. Brady and gronk? Manning and whoever their #2 contract is...heck stafford, suh, and johnson are all huge.

Mario and Stevie even combine for 20%+

I was being rhetorical.

GO BILLS!!!

I still think this move hurts. I have watched the other rb's especially stone hands Ingram drop easy screens with blockers and daylight on 3rd and long a ton.

I like Pierre Thomas's well rounded game but they sub him out and he gets nicked up a lil iirc.

I still think this move hurts. I have watched the other rb's especially stone hands Ingram drop easy screens with blockers and daylight on 3rd and long a ton.

I like Pierre Thomas's well rounded game but they sub him out and he gets nicked up a lil iirc.

Robinsons the guy your sleeping on.

And don't be shocked if it's as much about getting younger (ie add a guy like mccluster for the screen game) as saving money.