Reed F: Time to say goodbye to this

San-O

Had a sack on the first drive of the Steelers game when they were deep in our territory.

Caught Johnson from behind on 3rd down in the Niners game, forcing a punt.  Game was scoreless at the time.  Niners were near midfield.

On the drive Peters blocked the punt in the Cincinnati game, Denney tipped the first down pass.

On the play before Nate Clements' INT in the Brown's game, Denney sniffed out a screen, tackling the receiver for a 3 yard gain.  That made it 3rd and 15.

In the Seattle game, he sacked Hassleback and forced a fumble that PW recovered at the Hawks 15 yard line.  Willis Mac scored 5 plays later.

Recoved a fumble at our 27 yard line in the Cardinals game.  The play was nullified by a penalty.  The Cardinals scored a TD on the drive.

That says nothing of the number of times he did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do, allowing TKO and Fletch to make a spectacular play.

Rant on.

214000[/snapback]

Oh, please. Niners, Cincy, Browns, Seattle, Arizona. WHen he does that against good teams, I'll start counting them. But you're SUPPOSED to play like that against crappy teams. If you can't do that against crappy teams, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs...and only good teams do good stuff but bad teams do...ummm....bad stuff...against teams that aren't...y'know...good. Or bad. Or either. :lol::lol:;)

I think you get my point. :devil:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, please. Niners, Cincy, Browns, Seattle, Arizona. WHen he does that against good teams, I'll start counting them. But you're SUPPOSED to play like that against crappy teams. If you can't do that against crappy teams, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs...and only good teams do good stuff but bad teams do...ummm....bad stuff...against teams that aren't...y'know...good. Or bad. Or either. :lol:  :lol:  ;)

I think you get my point. :devil:

214021[/snapback]

Exactly and most of the plays mentioned were smoke and mirrors and in know way reflect Denney's play. :w00t:

How in the world can you remember all that?

214009[/snapback]

I can't. I have the play by play in writing from every game. It takes 30 seconds to do a search on the games I remembered him making plays in. He's not my favorite player and I didn't want him when he was drafted (Like Harv, I wanted Ben Lieber) but that doesn't change the fact that people are ripping a guy with little factual information to back up their claims.

I'm not his father.  I'm just not going to get caught up in the soundbyte generation of "this player sucks" because people:

A.  Don't know the scheme or the player's responsibility

B.  Pile on inexperienced players because of their draft position

Denney isn't a great 2nd round pick by any stretch but he's hardly the bust or terrible player that so many make him out to be.  He's made significant improvement and deserves credit for it.

214020[/snapback]

Hey, tell TD. If Denney is such a find in the second round, why is he not starting

and why did TD draft ANOTHER LDE in a subsequent draft?

Just the facts.

Sounds like we have some Denney fans on board!

213950[/snapback]

I wouldn't call myself a Denney "fan". I'm not going to run out and get a jersey.

But considering some of the players we've seen roll through town and back out again taken at the same point in the draft or earlier, he's not that bad a player. Knowing what we do now about his play, would I trade up to get him and spend a second round pick? No I wouldn't.

But I would also say that a team can get a fair amount of use out of a guy like Ryan Denney. He's not a star, but he does his job competently. My only point is I don't understand the bashing he takes around here.

Hey, tell TD.  If Denney is such a find in the second round, why is he not starting

Just the facts.

214029[/snapback]

Are you reading the messages you're replying to? Just curious.

Hey, tell TD.  If Denney is such a find in the second round, why is he not starting

Just the facts.

214029[/snapback]

You can't have All Pros at every position. You do need some average to above average players, too.

Just the facts.

214029[/snapback]

He doesn't start? He plays pretty much half of the defensive plays and is in there in every short yardage situation. He also plays on punt and kickoff coverage and saw some time on offense at TE in the last couple of games.

No decent general manager ever drafts for need, unless the best player on the board happens to match. Also, no decent general manager passes on a trench player when available - especially if they happen to be the highest rated player on the board, which Kelsey likely was.

If the highest rated DE falls to our 2nd pick this season, the same thing will likely happen.

Donahoe's the same moron who picked WM when he had Pro Bowler Travis Henry. Thanks for proving your knowledge. Duh.

Are you reading the messages you're replying to?  Just curious.

214033[/snapback]

Yes I am.

The Alaska responder is implying I don't know what I am talking about

because I don't know the scheme or a player responsibility.

Does Denney? Rush the passer? Try him at TE to try and get something

out of him.

I know that Denney is a 2nd round pick that isn't starting and TD

drafted another LDE to replace him.

Yes I am.

The Alaska responder is implying I don't know what I am talking about

because I don't know the scheme or a player responsibility.

Does Denney?  Rush the passer?  Try him at TE to try and get something

out of him.

I know that Denney is a 2nd round pick that isn't starting and TD

drafted another LDE to replace him.

214045[/snapback]

Got it. So the DEs responsibility is to rush the passer. Don't worry about that RB running by you.

Just the facts.

214029[/snapback]

By the way, here's what Darin said in the message you were responding to:

"Denney isn't a great 2nd round pick by any stretch but he's hardly the bust or terrible player that so many make him out to be." Yeah, don't know why I would question your reading at all.

Got it.  So the DEs responsibility is to rush the passer.  Don't worry about that RB running by you.

214050[/snapback]

OK, fifteen tackles for the season?

Stats from NFL.COM

So he does start, can't rush the passer, and had 15 tackles?

"Denney isn't a great 2nd round pick by any stretch but he's hardly the bust or terrible player that so many make him out to be."  Yeah, don't know why I would question your reading at all.

214061[/snapback]

I like the fact that he can't rush the passer despite the fact that he's rarely on the field in those situations. That doesn't even consider that there are few natural pass rushers at the position and that they aren't often around when pick 61 comes up.

Denney is a good run defender and the fact that he doesn't have a tremendous first step actually helps in that facet of the game. We have bigger problems on our team than Ryan Denney and if he were a lower pick no one would be bitching about him at all.

"Denney isn't a great 2nd round pick by any stretch but he's hardly the bust or terrible player that so many make him out to be."  Yeah, don't know why I would question your reading at all.

214061[/snapback]

My point is that TD reached for him in that round, trading up to get him

thinking he was getting over on Pittsburg I believe.

After a 3-13 season and then drafted another LDE.

Guess we really showed them.

Do you think Denney would still be on the roster if Pittsburg did get him.

He was a bad selection that high. I don't blame him, not his fault.

TD selected him there.

Do you think Denney would still be on the roster if Pittsburg did get him.

214074[/snapback]

Yes, because teams rarely toss a high draft pick to the side after just 2 seasons. The Steelers are well known for letting players develop, especially in the trenches. That explains why 5/6ths of their OLine was drafted by TD.