Reading McNabb story, I forgot that Couch

1billsfan

The problem with Couch is and always was a total and complete lack of confidence in himself. You know, people rag on Losman because some call him "cocky", but if Couch had even half of Losman's confidence in his abilities, Couch would be a Pro Bowler right now and the Browns would not be a cellar dweller.

I remember one Browns game where Couch threw an INT and then had this "oh well, its going to be another one of those days" look of frustration on his face. Good QBs get pissed when they throw INTs and want to get back in the game to correct their mistakes. Couch just gave up. A very sad story for him, that kid had no self-esteem at any point in his career.

I still put Leaf way ahead of anyone else. At least Couch showed even some shred of talent. Leaf was just a complete joke from day 1.

213766[/snapback]

I agree...Leaf was just an ass, who never showed ANY talent in the NFL. At least Couch flashed some potential from time to time. Leaf just managed to piss off everyone he came into contact with.

Couch was destined for failure.  The Browns never put any talent around him on offense.  The line, WRs, and RBs were all mediocre and the constant pounding took a huge toll on him both physically and mentally.

213847[/snapback]

Leaf?? Couch?? The bigger bust was Akili Smith. Wasn't he picked 3rd behind McNabb and Couch?

Leaf?? Couch?? The bigger bust was Akili Smith. Wasn't he picked 3rd behind McNabb and Couch?

213850[/snapback]

Makes you wonder about this past year's draft, doesn't it? 5 QBs in the first round in 1999, 2 of whom are still in the league (and are stars). 4 QBs in the first round in 2004. I guess we'll have to evaluate in a few years.

It seems like, even in the first round, there's about a 50/50 chance of QBs of turning out good-great...

If we look at recent drafts when more than 1 QB was picked in Round 1:

2003:

Carson Palmer - so far, decent

Byron Leftwich - should be good, at least

Kyle Boller - not shown much

Rex Grossman - who knows

2002:

David Carr - Could be good

Joey Harrington - Incomplete

Patrick Ramsey - Ok.

1999:

Tim Couch - Out Of Football

Donovan McNabb - Great

Akili Smith - OOF

Daunte Culpepper - Great

Cade McNown - OOF

1995:

Steve McNair - Great

Kerry Collins - Good

Even back to 1983:

John Elway - Great

Todd Blackledge - Bust

Jim Kelly - Great

Tony Eason - Decent

Ken O'Brien - Decent

Dan Marino - Great

You may quibble with some of my individual assessments, but the fact remains...

it's a bit of a crapshoot...

Put in "why I will never be a GM" class, I would have drafted Leaf over Manning.

213781[/snapback]

And you would have won just as many Super Bowls either way...