I'm sure that jboyst62 will love this

Hilarious. But its been a few years running. The FDA is trying very hard. They'll ultimately lose most of the battle and if you think there will be a war it will be a draw. Ag is too powerful to let some pencil neck geek in Washington enforce stupidity. Local gov and state gov will ultimately back the farmer, as well.

Hilarious. But its been a few years running. The FDA is trying very hard. They'll ultimately lose most of the battle and if you think there will be a war it will be a draw. Ag is too powerful to let some pencil neck geek in Washington enforce stupidity. Local gov and state gov will ultimately back the farmer, as well.

What about state DOT?

Really... Food safety is enforcing stupidity? I understand where you are coming from, but change isn't always bad or stupid. This isn't change just for the sake of change. What next when people keep getting sick? Making blanket statements like this is arrogant & scary. "Ag is too powerful..." You might be right, but that is also a problem.

I mean, farmers can be closed minded and resistant to change... But come on... There is more to the bottom line, especially with stuff like this.

Really... Food safety is enforcing stupidity? I understand where you are coming from, but change isn't always bad or stupid. This isn't change just for the sake of change. What next when people keep getting sick? Making blanket statements like this is arrogant & scary. "Ag is too powerful..." You might be right, but that is also a problem.

I mean, farmers can be closed minded and resistant to change... But come on... There is more to the bottom line, especially with stuff like this.

what they are trying to do is too broad and I'll thought out. Using organic fertilizers is bad? I don't get it. If you don't compost properly then yes it could be bad if you went and spread manure on your plants. But you don't do this post planting. You do this before.

There are a number of issues to take with this. The FDA being involved with the land is ****. The USDA needs handle the Ag stuff.

A case in point in over regulation is CA. They have farmlands being dried up like a desert. And no one is going to like them opening up streams and creeks to let the water go to the farms. Instead they want to pollute the ocean with it and waste it. They think it will be safer to just let all the run off hit the ocean vs natural leaching and purification that come with creeking it and then using it for Ag.

Instead. Mr big gov Obama wants to just send CA buckets of money. Buckets of money that won't grow or provide anything to the world but more debt

what they are trying to do is too broad and I'll thought out. Using organic fertilizers is bad? I don't get it. If you don't compost properly then yes it could be bad if you went and spread manure on your plants. But you don't do this post planting. You do this before.

There are a number of issues to take with this. The FDA being involved with the land is ****. The USDA needs handle the Ag stuff.

A case in point in over regulation is CA. They have farmlands being dried up like a desert. And no one is going to like them opening up streams and creeks to let the water go to the farms. Instead they want to pollute the ocean with it and waste it. They think it will be safer to just let all the run off hit the ocean vs natural leaching and purification that come with creeking it and then using it for Ag.

Instead. Mr big gov Obama wants to just send CA buckets of money. Buckets of money that won't grow or provide anything to the world but more debt

Interesting. Thanks for the input. I didn't even notice that it was the FDA, not the USDA.

Interesting. Thanks for the input. I didn't even notice that it was the FDA, not the USDA.

its OK. I accept your mistake. <insert OC smiley face>

But the FDA is just getting in bed with another issue to further their reach like every other gov group. They can work on the Ag stuff when it is actually fold service ready. At the restaurant or something when there is a real national issue and not something better handled on a state level.

Part of the problem is that in our rush to be sanitary and disease free we have become our own worst enemies. While I am not advocating rubbing dirt and germs all over people (kids especially) our natural immune systems depend on the ability to "learn" from exposure. The more we do to avoid common exposure the more we do to weaken natural immunity.

I grew up in the midst of farms and while my dad made his living otherwise we had some light farming occurring on my parents land. We had to clean out barns, we spread manure on fields and regularly worked in "dirty" conditions. We also grew our own vegetables where we used good old nature produced fertilizer (horse and cow crap) to fertilize it. Nobody in my family died and anecdotally we are all hard working healthy adults.

Part of the problem is that in our rush to be sanitary and disease free we have become our own worst enemies. While I am not advocating rubbing dirt and germs all over people (kids especially) our natural immune systems depend on the ability to "learn" from exposure. The more we do to avoid common exposure the more we do to weaken natural immunity.

I grew up in the midst of farms and while my dad made his living otherwise we had some light farming occurring on my parents land. We had to clean out barns, we spread manure on fields and regularly worked in "dirty" conditions. We also grew our own vegetables where we used good old nature produced fertilizer (horse and cow crap) to fertilize it. Nobody in my family died and anecdotally we are all hard working healthy adults.

I hear you! Yet, I contend we (okay many) have become more complacent in other things. Maybe people have always lived like slobs... Yet, is it more accepted now? Especially with two people working.

I have a question for Jboyst- it use to be that food poisoning was mainly a meat problem and could generally be avoided by proper kitchen preparation and cooking thoroughly, now it seems to be a growing problem with produce (people eating salads to lose weight may end up losing more weight than intended after going through a couple days of throwing up at one end and the ungodly at the other) so whats going on with our food?

I have a question for Jboyst- it use to be that food poisoning was mainly a meat problem and could generally be avoided by proper kitchen preparation and cooking thoroughly, now it seems to be a growing problem with produce (people eating salads to lose weight may end up losing more weight than intended after going through a couple days of throwing up at one end and the ungodly at the other) so whats going on with our food?

Good question. But, when you say "eating salads"... Are people making the salads themselves or are they already prepared? Seems like there is a lot more prepared food out there... Bagged lettuce, etc...

Ease of use may be the problem?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

like meat was the produce is improperly handled. The vegetables get tossed in by dirty handed day laborers then sit in a trailer with tons of other produce and the bacteria grows and exchanges.

Meat was never as bad as people say. Trichinosis hasn't been seen abundantly in pork in this country in ages. But many still fear.

Also with the produce is that we like every cut and fixed even more then we used to. More handling. More risk

Edited by jboyst62

like meat was the produce is improperly handled. The vegetables get tossed in by dirty handed day laborers then sit in a trailer with tons of other produce and the bacteria grows and exchanges.

Some imported fruits and vegetables come from places where fertilization with untreated human waste is the practice, which doesn't help either.

I don't even eat strawberries anymore. And I love strawberries. But too many of them are imported from countries with poor agricultural practices.

The markets just love to push everything year 'round. Watch out for Russian/Chinese pine nuts. Pine mouth:

Risks from eating pine nuts

Pine nuts can cause taste disturbances, lasting from a few days to a few weeks after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no known lasting effects, with the FDA reporting that there are "no apparent adverse clinical side effects." This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001. Publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine nut syndrome" or as "pine mouth". The Nestlé Research Centre has hypothesized that nuts from a particular species of pine occurring mostly in China, Pinus armandii, is the cause of the problem. The suspect species of pine nuts are smaller, duller, and more rounded than typical pine nuts. A 2011 study found results consistent with this hypothesis and also suggested that chemicals used in the shelling process might be responsible. Metallic taste disturbance, known as metallogeusia, is typically reported 1–3 days after ingestion, being worse on day 2 and lasting typically up to 2 weeks. Cases are self-limited and resolve without treatment. Möller has postulated a hypothesis that could explain why the bitter taste appears several days after ingestion and lasts for as long. A well known physiological process known as enterohepatic recirculation (EHR) could play a key role in the development of PNS.

The FDA is currently investigating "pine mouth".