I need help!

jshockeyguy7

driving home from college today.....wasnt really paying attention and got pulled over for doing 85 in the 55 mph zone of le salle expressway..... at least thats what the cop said.... im about to turn 18....have had my license for over a year....and have never had a ticket before.... court date is 09/14 and im scared....what should i expect and whats the worst im facing? thanks for all your help in advance....jokes and flamers dont need to be contributed....i know i messed up

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't get it thrown out, you need to go to traffic school to get the points taken off your license. Otherwise, your insurance will be very high. It'll be high anyway sincew you are young. This will be an expensive ticket. Maybe the officer won't show up.

Look at it this way, at least you weren't drunk. A ticket isn't the worst thing.

Go Bills

It depends on the law of the state, but you are probably looking at a reckless driving ticket. You will pay court fees, the ticket (which will probably be quite a bit for 30mph), and your insurance will skyrocket.

Pretty much screwed.

The only thing that will get you out of the ticket is if the cop doesn't show and you contest it. I had it happen once when I was about 16...the cop showed. I know a lot of people who say they have gone to court and the cop didn't show. It's a toss up.

One thing you can do (again it depends on state) is go to a driver school. I did that when I got my ticket. Takes points off your license and some courts will even waive some of the court fees or ticket fee. This could be a pain for you though, depending on where you are going to school/where you will be when the class happens/what county the ticket was given.

Good luck.

Do you HAVE to go to court, or can you just pay the ticket? If you have to go to court, I'm guessing the cop probably will show. Be polite, wear a suit and maybe the judge will be kind. If you're lucky, he may charge you the same amount but make it a non-moving violation. That's a REALLY good thing, as it doesn't show on your driving record..

Good luck.

CW

Do you HAVE to go to court, or can you just pay the ticket?  If you have to go to court, I'm guessing the cop probably will show.  Be polite, wear a suit and maybe the judge will be kind.  If you're lucky, he may charge you the same amount but make it a non-moving violation.  That's a REALLY good thing, as it doesn't show on your driving record..

Good luck.

CW

16432[/snapback]

nice thought, but no way in hell that happens for a ticket like that. when you go beyond 15 MPH over the speed limit, you have to appear in court (at least in NC you do). he's facing loss of license unless he gets an atty who can talk to the DA and get the charge reduced. going it alone is just asking to be slammed.

You gotta fight it. 84 in a 55 is too much to pay. I've used the following defense 3 times (twice for myself, once for my father-in-law). It worked twice, for myself & father-in-law. You have to look and act professional (suit, shave etc.). It does work and is based in sound legal theory. The trick is to attack not only the radar gun, but the tuning forks that calibrate the radar gun. It is all explained in the book. I paid the 30 bucks and it has been worth it.

http://www.beatmyspeedingticket.com/no-fine.html

i have the option to go to court or to send my ticket with either a plea of guilty or non-guilty.... i was pulled over by a NYS police officer....and my dad works for the Niagara County Jail here... unfortunately the court is in Niagara Falls....has anyone ever been there? is the judge decent? im a college student....didnt realize i was even close to that speed...and have never done this before...i have no money due to high tuition and cost of books at NU... and i commute every day.... im just looking for some relief....but i guess i will have to wait until court.... i cannot afford a big fine and i def cannot afford a raise in my insurance costs as i am on my parents insurance...and im lead to believe it will affect their costs too...in which case i wont have a car on their insurance anymore to say the least..... this sucks

I haven't lived in NY for a while, but when I did I worked in the law enforcment community....

20 miles over the limit in the early 90's was a 10 point offense.

11 points then was a suspension.

My guess is the rules are more strict and the fines higher, so in a nut shell, you're going to lose that license.

Best strategy is show up and plead your case to the officer and DA before you go to a hearing/trial. They may feel sorry for you and reduce it to a lesser offense. No way your getting it thrown out.

Oh yeah, 85 in a 55 is way to fast, slow down!

30 mph and over, well, that's a bunch...don't do that! As far as the court and Judge, say you are sorry, I don't think I was going quite that fast but I was speeding and was certainly in the wrong. Which you were.

You hold no cards in this. Be humble (which you should - what in the world made you go that fast?).

Dress well - a proper going-to-church outfit, please. The judge will be much more disposed to give you a break - as in convicting you for a lesser MPH violation. A 30 mph+ ticket will be very costly re insurance coverage.

And have a Parent, Uncle, Aunt , or some other adult accompany you into the Courtroom, who will stand up (literally, as in off the seat and standing erect) when your case is called. A long-time friend of mine is a Juvenile Court Judge. Her decisions are far more lenient when she sees there is someone of responsibility involved in her cases. I'm not at all saying you are an irresponsible person, jshock, I just tell you this as something that lets a judge make a lenient decision with some ease and confidence that there will not be a repeat.

Good luck - I'm pretty sure things will work out ok. Despite what some may say, the Courts and the Law really aren't in the business of frying 18-year old folks because of 1 mistake.

driving home from college today.....wasnt really paying attention and got pulled over for doing 85 in the 55 mph zone of le salle expressway..... at least thats what the cop said.... im about to turn 18....have had my license for over a year....and have never had a ticket before.... court date is 09/14 and im scared....what should i expect and whats the worst im facing? thanks for all your help in advance....jokes and flamers dont need to be contributed....i know i messed up

16402[/snapback]

\

Well you could take your lumps. You didnt say wether it was radar or his judgement with the speedodmeter. You could challenge the calibration of the radar or the speedodmeter of his car.If you want to spend a couple of bucks hire a lawyer up front it might cost you but could save you money in the long run.

16402[/snapback]

I got a similar ticket a few years ago. What happened is I went to court, was incredibly apologetic, and agreed to go to traffic school (basically an 8 hour one-day class of garbage). The ticket gets reduced in $$$ and in points on your license.

It'll be tedious but basically all you're looking at is a lot of money to pay and losing a day of your life at traffic school. With the state's point system, though, you're going to want to stay out of trouble for 12 months. After that, a reduced violation and points on your license should go away. At least, that's how it was for me.

And for the love of God, SLOW DOWN! (j/k)

30 mph and over, well, that's a bunch...don't do that!  As far as the court and Judge, say you are sorry, I don't think I was going quite that fast but I was speeding and was certainly in the wrong. Which you were.

You hold no cards in this. Be humble (which you should - what in the world made you go that fast?).

Dress well - a proper going-to-church outfit, please. The judge will be much more disposed to give you a break - as in convicting you for a lesser MPH violation.  A 30 mph+ ticket will be very costly re insurance coverage.

And have a Parent, Uncle, Aunt , or some other adult accompany you into the Courtroom, who will  stand up when your case is called.  A long-time friend of mine is a Juvenile Court Judge. Her decsions are far more lenient when she sees there is someone of responsibility involved in her cases. I'm not at all saying you are an irresponsible person, jshock, I just tell you this as something that lets a judge make a lenient deciscion with some ease and confidence that there will not be a repeat.

Good luck - I'm pretty sure things will work out ok.

16450[/snapback]

Listen to Cincy. This is exactly the stuff you should know about for when you go to court.

thanks for your help everyone.... its on the ticket as 84 in the 55....but i swear i had no idea i was even close to that fast....but i wasnt paying close attention and i wasnt going that much faster in comparison to other cars....says on my ticket.... charge based on officers direct observation....and my speed is verified by radar....stalker dual model if that helps :(

thanks for your help everyone.... its on the ticket as 84 in the 55....but i swear i had no idea i was even close to that fast....but i wasnt paying close attention and i wasnt going that much faster in comparison to other cars....says on my ticket.... charge based on officers direct observation....and my speed is verified by radar....stalker dual model if that helps  :(

16456[/snapback]

OK, reaching back in the memory now, but I think the officer put 84 on there to make sure you're in the 20-30 mph range above the speed limit. 85+ is a more serious violation.

He probably kept you in that range so that you were eligible for traffic school and reduced punishment and all that. Assuming you are, that's your best bet.

You'll probably be fine.

thanks for your help everyone.... its on the ticket as 84 in the 55....but i swear i had no idea i was even close to that fast....but i wasnt paying close attention and i wasnt going that much faster in comparison to other cars....says on my ticket.... charge based on officers direct observation....and my speed is verified by radar....stalker dual model if that helps  :(

16456[/snapback]

Stalker? Gotta love it.

Try to get your court date changed. Traffic cops schedule days to be in court. The chances are better that the officer won't make a changed date. Marginal, but better. Only thing I can add to the advice above.