Guards guards guards.

dailar

If we hopefully decide that we are going to address the o-line this year who do you see being available at guard in each round. It doesn't look like a year where you have guards meeting the value of a first rounder but who should we be looking at in the second, third..... etc. I must admit ignorance where guards are concerned.

Lots of good college tackles get moved to G and excell. Levitre for one, Carl Nicks for another, Jahri Evans for a third. I could go on.

I want to try that with an NFL T who may not be dominant at T, but still good. Why couldn't a guy like that move inside and be much better? They do it from College to the NFL, why not NFL to NFL.

If we hopefully decide that we are going to address the o-line this year who do you see being available at guard in each round. It doesn't look like a year where you have guards meeting the value of a first rounder but who should we be looking at in the second, third..... etc. I must admit ignorance where guards are concerned.

I highly doubt any guard will be taken in the first round unless a team at the end of round 1 decides a guy like Yankey is worth a shot. There may be a team that drafts Notre Dame's Zack Martin in the 1st with the intention of trying him out a tackle and moving him to guard if it doesn't work out.

The most likely candidates to be the first college guard chosen are probably:

David Yankey from Stanford (early 2nd)

Gabe Jackson from Miss St. (3rd)

Then there are the college OTs that will likely move to guard:

Cyril Richardson from Baylor (early-mid 2nd)

Xavier Su-a-Filo from UCLA (2nd-3rd)

Joel Bitonio from Nevada (3rd-4th)

Jack Mewhort from Ohio State (3rd-4th)

Lots of good college tackles get moved to G and excell. Levitre for one, Carl Nicks for another, Jahri Evans for a third. I could go on.

I want to try that with an NFL T who may not be dominant at T, but still good. Why couldn't a guy like that move inside and be much better? They do it from College to the NFL, why not NFL to NFL.

I have wondered this ever since Nix made some comment about drafting tackles and if they don't pan out moving them in.

Hairston and Pears for example...

What you will see is that so many teams need interior line help this year, that many OG's will slip into the latter part of the first round.

OG David Yankey currently grades at #26

OG -OT Zack Martin currently grades at #36

OG Xavier Su'a-Filo currently grades at #46

OG Cyril Richardson currently grades at #66

OG Gabe Jackson currently grades at # 82

These grades will change I'm sure after the combine this week, starting Sat Feb 22nd thu Feb 25th

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2014.asp

Converting OT to G is always a possibility. In addition to the others mentioned these are players I have for value picks in the later rounds if they should last longer than expected.

1.) If trade down, late 1st Taylor Lewan (LG)

2 Cyril Richardson (LG),

3.) Morgan Moses, OT

4.) Dakota Dozier (LG) Anthony Steen (LG)

5.) Brandon Thomas (LG),

6.) Chris Watt (LG)

haha not a problem at all.

I thought you were caught up in Olympic Curling fever.

I have always thought that the Oline is as strong as its weakest link and have seen running backs put up huge numbers behind pro bowl guards. It seems everyone is stuck on the left tackle position, it is important but so is the rest of the line.

Last years Bills line just wasn't up to a playoff team's standard so they do need some upgrades.