[closed]Cap Numbers 2014 - Kevin Kolb

OnTheRocks

Based on the information below, what options do the Bills have with Kolb?

Can they restructure that $3.6M over three or four years and then release him and pay him 1 million per year until the obligation is complete? Or do the rules prohibit that? Or however they restructure, would they have to take the full cap hit at the time of a release?

http://espn.go.com/b...ighest-cap-hits

DE Mario Williams -- $18,400,000

WR Stevie Johnson -- $8,500,000

DT Marcell Dareus -- $6,493,232

DT Kyle Williams -- $5,800,000

C Eric Wood -- $5,300,000

RB C.J. Spiller -- $4,166,666

CB Leodis McKelvin -- $4,150,000

RB Fred Jackson -- $3,643,750

QB Kevin Kolb -- $3,600,000

OT Erik Pears -- $3,450,000

Where do the Bills rank against the NFL average?

Their top 10 cap hits total $63,503,648, which is 61.8 percent of their team cap hit. That is 5.6 percent less than the NFL average, meaning the Bills are less top-heavy than the norm.

Meanwhile, their top 25 cap hits total $89,487,978, which is 87.1 percent of their team cap hit. That is 2.6 percent less than the NFL average.

Of the most expensive players under contract for next season, the player that is least likely to play with that cap hit is Kolb. After suffering a season-ending concussion last August, Kolb's playing future was in jeopardy. With EJ Manuel already named the starter for next season, it's likely that the Bills will either restructure Kolb's contract or release him by March.

Based on the information below, what options do the Bills have with Kolb?

Can they restructure that $3.6M over three or four years and then release him and pay him 1 million per year until the obligation is complete? Or do the rules prohibit that? Or however they restructure, would they have to take the full cap hit at the time of a release?

http://espn.go.com/b...ighest-cap-hits

without looking, im guessing the actual hit of cutting him is much lower (ie half his signing bonus as he was a 2 year deal so it would be spread over 2 years for accounting purposes). the number you posted is the cost of carrying him.

without looking, im guessing the actual hit of cutting him is much lower (ie half his signing bonus as he was a 2 year deal so it would be spread over 2 years for accounting purposes). the number you posted is the cost of carrying him.

I don't think the Bills are sweating this one at all. He only had 1 mil guaranteed through a signing bonus. I don't think any of his 3.6 mil salary this year is guaranteed, so I think they can cut him without any reservations - the only hit is his 1 mil signing bonus spread over last year and this year.

I don't think the Bills are sweating this one at all. He only had 1 mil guaranteed through a signing bonus. I don't think any of his 3.6 mil salary this year is guaranteed, so I think they can cut him without any reservations - the only hit is his 1 mil signing bonus spread over last year and this year.

That is what I thought. Essentially big savings if he's cut.

A bat signal for wawrow- any chance we could get injury updates on him and Hairston sometime coming up? Not sure when you'd have a chance to ask and I know it's not as big on hits as other guys but I think many wonder what the story is on these two going into free agency and the draft.

Uh how about that 18.4 mill owed to Mario? No way in hell is he worth 18 mill in a season.

hed count 17.8m if you cut him, so i wouldnt hold my breath. the team committed to him on a deal averaging 16m per season and only took hits of 9m and 12m the first 2 years, so get used to some big numbers. my guess is with 2 years left he will be looked at (as the hit is 19.9m and the dead money would be only 7m) but the next two years he will be a bill at a large cap hit.

I think we will be saving Kolb and Pears money...then (hopefully), spending a boatload of it on Byrd...Didn't realize Stevie was so high...might well be a cap casualty if they draft a receiver high.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Stevie cut. He hasn't really impressed me the last two seasons.

I'm not terribly interested in spending big money in FA on a proven veteran WR, but I think they could do better than SJ.