FA - Brandon Spikes

Virgil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote this guy. The Bengals only tendered him at the lowest level, which is great because he was undrafted.

good call - I thought This guy had the best combination of talent and youth but then thought he was signed- what is the procedure do we get to make an offer which they have to decide to match to keep him?

good call - I thought This guy had the best combination of talent and youth but then thought he was signed- what is the procedure do we get to make an offer which they have to decide to match to keep him?

The agent shops around for deals, presents the best one to the Bengals, and they have the right to match it or not. And again if they don't, they get nothing.

I think this guy could be just what our D needs. Two times at the goal line a few years back, I recall him hitting both CJ and FJ so hard it knocked them senseless preventing TD's on both plays. Sign him up. 1 year deal and see how it goes.

I think this guy could be just what our D needs. Two times at the goal line a few years back, I recall him hitting both CJ and FJ so hard it knocked them senseless preventing TD's on both plays. Sign him up. 1 year deal and see how it goes.

No way he takes a 1 year deal, he will be in demand and IMO out of the bills price range for the two down rub stopper the defense needs

Am I the only one that is not all that excited about Spikes? I think that you can find cheaper 2 down LBs. I would not overpay for a plugger. I would rather Brinkley I think. In addition, I would try to grab someone in the mid rounds (Borland, Bullough, etc) to help play that role. The free agent dollars should be allocated to OL IMO. They should certainly sign their RT (Collins or Strief), an inexpensive LB, possibly a TE, S and/or OG.

Looks like Brinkley spent the better part of a day with the Bills. That's in addition to McClain, so clearly they're looking to add someone to play MLB such that they could move Alonzo to the outside. As far as I can tell though, it's been radio silence on Brandon Spikes. He doesn't even appear to be in the discussion.

No way he takes a 1 year deal, he will be in demand and IMO out of the bills price range for the two down rub stopper the defense needs

I was more worried about any attitude issues that may arise. We don't need any bad locker room personalities. I know he would perform on the field.

Looks like Brinkley spent the better part of a day with the Bills. That's in addition to McClain, so clearly they're looking to add someone to play MLB such that they could move Alonzo to the outside. As far as I can tell though, it's been radio silence on Brandon Spikes. He doesn't even appear to be in the discussion.

They can't speak to Spikes yet (but can in like an hour). That may be why we haven't heard his name. I am with you though in that I get the sense that they are not going to overspend for a part time LB. They are going to look to someone that can stop the run on a team friendly contract. I don't think that Spikes fits that mold but I could be wrong. He certainly can stop the run.

They can't speak to Spikes yet (but can in like an hour). That may be why we haven't heard his name. I am with you though in that I get the sense that they are not going to overspend for a part time LB. They are going to look to someone that can stop the run on a team friendly contract. I don't think that Spikes fits that mold but I could be wrong. He certainly can stop the run.

First sentence is what I came here to post. McClain and Brinkley were veterans who have been cut--they became free agents as soon as their contract was terminated. Guys whose contracts expired (Spikes, Chandler, etc.) cannot negotiate until 12:00 today. That's why there's already been 2 visits.

Makes me miss London Fletcher big time. Hard to believe that he's still playing (and at a high level) after the Bills parted ways with him 7 years ago!

How did I not know that Brandon was Takeo's brother? I saw that on his Wikipedia page and honestly never knew that. I don't think they look anything alike. Anyway, I would be fine if he was on the team as he is 26 and Pepper knows how to get the most out of him. I don't care whether BB let him go. However, if they chose not to or he didn't want to be here... also fine with me.

The Bills backfield did not get beat down by teams grinding the ball all game. They got beat on broken or high risk against the run play calling by players i didnt even know of . I could be wrong in remembering but its seems when the Bills focused to stop the run they did a decent job and most of the yardage was on a couple heart breaking plays

You are correct, sir.

Despite my personal feelings about Spikes, I would welcome him because he would indeed be a great fit.

I agree that they most likely won't overspend for a part time LB, however with the cap rising and the recent installation of a cap floor, the term "overspend" is becoming more and more relative. As is the phrase "team friendly."

Anyway, I'm not advocating that they should sign Spikes to a seemingly exorbitant contract, but the Bills may be on his short list considering Pepper Johnson's arrival and the opportunity to get after the Pats* twice a year. So I can envision him signing here for an amount that most of us would consider too high, while forgetting the oft made argument re: Byrd that in many cases today's contracts will look like bargains in the near future.

Obviously with the cap and revenues rising, player salaries will as well. I just picture much more of a variety among compensations for positions traditionally considered on the lower tier- 2 down LB, TE, S, and G, for example. Teams have to spend their money *somewhere*, so I won't be surprised when the Bills spend "too much" on a two down LB or any other position deemed as a need - especially considering how much space the Bills currently have at their disposal.