Concerts

Gugny

I have really pondered these questions...I can think of few artists that I haven't seen (during my time) that I wanted to see...I have always been one to go the extra mile (or 100, 200, 300) to see live music. Getting out of work tonight, heading straight to Dallas (3.5 hours) to see one of my favorite bands at a club, and driving right back... I have gone to some rediculous lengths to see bands/artists that I really dig.

After thinking about it hard:

#1- Townes Van Zandt. I was lucky enough to see his final performance in the US, almost 3 months to the day before he died. I probably saw him about 20 times over the years, his music has always been important to me...I feel kind of blessed to have been one of the 75 or so people at that show.

#2- Bo Diddley- I have pretty much seen all the early rock-n'rollers that were still living past 1980 or so..but I never saw Bo. I would also say, never saw the "real" Led Zeppelin. I still remember the day that their show was announced for the Aud in Buffalo...you had to mail your name in, to be put in a lottery to win the priveledge to get tickets. My best friend and I did our due dilligence to mail our names off....and not a day later (or was it two?) Jon Bonham died. No Bonham, not Zeppelin! Funny thing is, I think I like them more now, than I did then. At that age, I just wanted to see any band that played at the Aud... the bigger the better!

I have really pondered these questions...I can think of few artists that I haven't seen (during my time) that I wanted to see...I have always been one to go the extra mile (or 100, 200, 300) to see live music. Getting out of work tonight, heading straight to Dallas (3.5 hours) to see one of my favorite bands at a club, and driving right back... I have gone to some rediculous lengths to see bands/artists that I really dig.

After thinking about it hard:

#1- Townes Van Zandt. I was lucky enough to see his final performance in the US, almost 3 months to the day before he died. I probably saw him about 20 times over the years, his music has always been important to me...I feel kind of blessed to have been one of the 75 or so people at that show.

#2- Bo Diddley- I have pretty much seen all the early rock-n'rollers that were still living past 1980 or so..but I never saw Bo. I would also say, never saw the "real" Led Zeppelin. I still remember the day that their show was announced for the Aud in Buffalo...you had to mail your name in, to be put in a lottery to win the priveledge to get tickets. My best friend and I did our due dilligence to mail our names off....and not a day later (or was it two?) Jon Bonham died. No Bonham, not Zeppelin! Funny thing is, I think I like them more now, than I did then. At that age, I just wanted to see any band that played at the Aud... the bigger the better!

nice post. forgot about Zepplin. i too have gained far more appreciation for Zep now than i did way back when. and i had the same experience regarding their canceled tour.

me and my buddies just got our tickets in hand through a similar lottery for their show at Cobo Hall in Detroit. and then Bonham dies.

and then i compounded the situation. idiot of a 16-or-so-year-old that i was at the time, i frickin sent the ticket back for a full refund.

what i'd give today to have that ticket, still. it would most certainly be framed on my wall.

jw