Former Buffalonians or snow birds

billsfan_34

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for getting yourself out. Lol most people wuth suvs dont realize they can do that.... I always laugh on the inside when I see a perfectly capable 4wd suv just barely off the road and the driver sitting there not attempting to get out with a confused look.

But you have a jeep...so im sure you get it

I probably didn't get it... I shouldn't have dipped the wheel or braked without realizing it that much on the off ramp curve. I honesly don't know what I did wrong. I wasn't going that fast, maybe 10-15 There was about 3 inches of blown snow in spots, some spots where blown clear... I usually notice the black spots and stay the course, off the wheel and accelerator and brake softly (when needed). I almost wonder if being in 4 wheel (in limited slip mode) caused the spin more? That is wanting to track in the wrong direction. In two-wheel(really one drive wheel), it may have been a more controlle forward track/skid

I suppose, that is where most spin outs occur... On the on/off ramps. I remember years ago doing a full blown 360 on the ramp from Sheridan Drive to the 290! Stayed right in the middle of the ramp... LoL... Came out of the "donut" like noting ever happened going in the right direction... I think I even sceamed: "Ahhh!" for a second or two! LoL...

Yet the stangest thing I saw Sunday morning was a Ford Escape like vehicle literall lose it from the middle left lane all the way to the right through the right shoulder into the ditch... WTF happened there, I didn't see brake lights through the skid out. They were a good 1,000 feet ahead of me. One car did stop for them.

Oh well... Brilliantly sunny now and -4 actual temp... Looks pretty!

many years back when I had a Bronco FT 4WD and a winch, I'd drive around and charge the fools $20 to pull them out.

it was cheaper than a tow truck.

My brother drives a semi... One time he went off the road in a blinding blizzard, driving right into the teeth of it he said, couldn't stop, just had to keep going inching along...BOOM! Road is gone and he is off it! His boss almost had a coronary when the wrecker bill was 1600 bucks. My brother said, the wrecker got him out no problem! LoL... Betcha he made a mint that night!

My brother drives a semi... One time he went off the road in a blinding blizzard, driving right into the teeth of it he said, couldn't stop, just had to keep going inching along...BOOM! Road is gone and he is off it! His boss almost had a coronary when the wrecker bill was 1600 bucks. My brother said, the wrecker got him out no problem! LoL... Betcha he made a mint that night!

OUCH.

wasn't there a thread recently where a semi was pulled back onto the road by 4 horses?

I'm in Columbia, sc. I work in a school and last night they had already made the call to cancel today because of the threat of snow/sleet/freezing rain. So far it's about 35 degrees, windy and overcast but that's it. They're calling for about a quarter inch of freezing rain and 3 inches of snow though. If we get it it'll be the first "significant" winter event since I moved down from Rochester in august 2012, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

My daughter goes to school in Columbia at USC. She texted last night that classes were cancelled and it was still in the 60s. She has 4 wheel drive so should be able to get around, but she is laughing since she always prayed for snow days here in NY and had to get up early to find out if they were going to get one, here, she gets one while its 65 degrees a day before it even shows up (maybe).

My daughter goes to school in Columbia at USC. She texted last night that classes were cancelled and it was still in the 60s. She has 4 wheel drive so should be able to get around, but she is laughing since she always prayed for snow days here in NY and had to get up early to find out if they were going to get one, here, she gets one while its 65 degrees a day before it even shows up (maybe).

WOW... Simply WOW! To be fair, maybe they don't have heat... ;-) Then again, I set my furnace between 65 and 68! LoL Down that far south, they could just wait it out a day @ school and all will be fine! There were more cars on the expressway Sunday morning and more snow/cold than what they will get during the whole storm! LoL...

I could see if people had to get up 2-3 hours early to shovel themselves out... Being pooped and all, but 65 degrees. "The Western Desert lives and breathes @ 45 degrees!" First person who gets that reference gets an attboy/girl! ;-) I joked to my wife that: "The Calumet River lives and goes @ 25 below!" And... I am out there @ work chipping ice w/a long ice pick just to get my lock gates opened another inch or so! These people would give up w/the slightest hint of trouble weather! I understand, being proactive. Proactive is below 0 F and +6" of snow... AND then you still have to factor how many people the area is dealing with!

The time has come to save this fair land from its own stupity! Thank goodness my "Saturday and Sunday" or off days this week just so happened to be yesterday & today! ;-) ;-)

OUCH.

wasn't there a thread recently where a semi was pulled back onto the road by 4 horses?

Yep!

LoL... Try getting that farmer up @ 0200 in the morning! ;-) I here those draft horses need a lot of oats!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Read somewhere that there are only 3 inputs when driving a car / truck: accelerate, brake, turn. And you never mix any of the 3 when driving in snow.

Good call! My combo, was the turn and I may have slightly given it the gas. Giving it gas and brake seem like a no-brainer, you're supposed to drive w/one for (automatic)... I wonder how many people drive out there with two on an automatic?

Yeah, i was outside grilling in shorts yesterday an hour before i found out i didnt have work today. It just started to sprinkle a little. Temp is still above freezing. I think I might go for a run.

San Antonio, TX.

Tuesday

Overcast with ice pellets. High of 37F with a windchill as low as 25F. Breezy. Winds from the NNE at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 20% .

Waiting for the ice pellets...

No trauma from ice pellets...

San Antonio, tx.

Wednesday

6:00 AM

30 °F Partly Cloudy

Winds 5 mph North

10% chance of precip.

Overnight low 25℉.

We shall see.

It is -4 degrees F, actual temp. I am getting used to this... Starting to just go out w/a hoodie, hat, and gloves. Not even bothering to do the hat and gloves for stuff like taking the garbage our or touching up the shoveling on the driveway.

Gonna feel like spring when the temps hit the 20's again! This makes you tougher, work harder! Bud Grant is smiling somewhere!

EDIT: FWIW, Bud's not dead! He's 86.