Sniff Sniff...14 years ago today

Thailog80

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note, that year there were two weeks between the AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl. Bob Costas noted in the post-game show that one week, instead of two, would have likely benefitted Buffalo. He's probably right. Ah well.

213008[/snapback]

Sorry, but Bob Costas was wrong.

The AFC Championship game was played on January 20th. The Superbowl was played on January 27th.

The following year, the AFC/NFC Championship was on January 12th, and the Superbowl was on January 26th.

The next year, AFC Championship on 1/17, Superbowl on 1/31

Our last Superbowl year, Championship game on 1/23, Superbowl on 1/30.

This information is on pp1781-1783 of the best football book ever, "Total Football II" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0062701746/qid=1106270664/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-8393042-2364805?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) This book has EVERY player who has EVER played in the NFL, the score of every game, leading receivers, rushers, interceptors, etc, even if they only had 1 carry. It's awesome. Unfortunately, it only goes through Superbowl XXXIII (Denver 34, Atlanta 19). Oh well, it's still worth it.

CW

Sorry, but Bob Costas was wrong.

The AFC Championship game was played on January 20th.  The Superbowl was played on January 27th.

213035[/snapback]

I think you're right...I went back to the video and he does say this, but it's not entirely clear if there is one or two weeks between the games. There goes that theory.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings..... :D

but they tore down the goalposts that first Super Bowl year AFTER the Bills-Dolphins late season / regular season game at Rich Stadium.

Frank Reich was the quarterback, and Thurman Thomas had lots of yardage. It clinched home field advantage and the goalposts were torn down.

No.  They had heavy security at that game (Gulf War just started).  Plus, it was the last game at Rich before the carpet was going to be replaced.

Thanks to Rubes, you can get the DVD and watch the game again.  Check out my sig.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=16425&st=0

CW

212795[/snapback]

Besides, they came down 4 weeks before when we beat Miami for the AFC East. I think OBD was getting sick of losing goalposts... :D

December 23, 1990 - Another game I won't soon forget...

I had my daughter on January 12, 1991, then the Gulf War started, and to top it off, the Bills made it to the Super Bowl. I was in a fog and felt like I was dreaming the whole month of January. It was so surreal that I had this little person to take care of and then to be home with her, watching all the war stuff on CNN, it seemed so strange. Then my beloved Bills go and play their hearts out to make it to the Super Bowl...Was it a dream? :D

Besides, they came down 4 weeks before when we beat Miami for the AFC East.  I think OBD was getting sick of losing goalposts... :D

213203[/snapback]

I was at all of those games and do not remeber the posts coming down at any of them, but that doesn't mean they did nont, only I do not remember it!.

I lived in DC at the time, and remeber that drive on Friday evening like it was yesterday. While my beloved Bills were playing in the AFC championship, my mind was elsewhere that night. It was the first night that Saddam had launched a scud missile attck agaisnt Isreal, and the talk on the radio all night was specualtion on if they carries chemical weapons or not.

Mom (bless her soul)not wanting my brother and I to go to the game, being the first event playing out on a national stage since the war began.Almost all the talk in the parking lot centered on the Gulf War. Flags everywhere. Crying at the National anthem and flyover. Raiders listening to the dolts on TV and calling a timeout on our first drive to break the momentum. Kelly fumbling, looking for the ball, finding it, picking it up, and firing a TD to Lofton . GAME OVER , cant stop the Bills was my thought 3 minutes in.

Realizing after the game they had actually won. Going to Wiechecks to watch who we were going to steamroll in the Bowl. Wanting SF so desperatley, as we would get more respect when we whipped their behinds the next week.

And finally, not being allowed back into my brothers house for about six mounths after the cab deposited us at 1.30 am.

AH what a day

Besides, they came down 4 weeks before when we beat Miami for the AFC East.  I think OBD was getting sick of losing goalposts... :D

213203[/snapback]

You are correct sir. Although I did not participate in tearing down the posts, I was on the field after that win! :P

I was at all of those games and do not remeber the posts coming down at any of them, but that doesn't mean they did nont, only I do not remember it!.

I lived in DC at the time, and remeber that drive on Friday evening like it was yesterday. While my beloved Bills were playing in the AFC championship, my mind was elsewhere that night. It was the first night that Saddam had launched a scud missile attck agaisnt Isreal, and the talk on the radio all night was specualtion on if they carries chemical weapons or not.

Mom (bless her soul)not wanting my brother and I to go to the game, being the first event playing out on a national stage since the war began.Almost all the talk in the parking lot centered on the Gulf War. Flags everywhere. Crying at the National anthem and flyover. Raiders listening to the dolts on TV and calling a timeout on our first drive to break the momentum. Kelly fumbling, looking for the ball, finding it, picking it up, and firing a TD to Lofton . GAME OVER , cant stop the Bills was my thought 3 minutes in.

Realizing after the game they had actually won. Going to Wiechecks to watch who we were going to steamroll in the Bowl. Wanting SF so desperatley, as we would get more respect when we whipped their behinds the next week.

And finally, not being allowed back into my brothers house for about six mounths after the cab deposited us at 1.30 am.

AH what a day

213328[/snapback]

The December 23, 1990 game was the only game I was at. I was 20, pennyless, and my mother took pity (I'd say she wimped out but she was at the Rockpile for the AFL championship game...) and gave her tickets to me.

I had also just adopted a rather unmanageable Golden Retriever who was getting some remedial obedience lessons with a guy who's main job was raising and training German Shepards and Rottweilers for the Erie County Sheriff. That game used mounted police to try to keep the crowd in the stands. It was a dismal failure and could have turned out pretty ugly if one of the horses had spooked when crowd swarmed the field. Anyway, the next game, the guy I with which I was training, was one of the security people, and all of the field security people had either a Rotty or GSD...

I think after the Raiders game there was speculation they were going to come down again, but, those dogs were a lot meaner looking than the horses...