Does One Decision Influence Another ?

T master

We all know that if Pettine leaves to go to the Browns as their HC that our D will more than likely suffer greatly & the loan bright spot from last year could become a lot dimmer .

But if Pettine does leave what does that do if any thing to the decision that J Byrd has to make ?

I along with you all have heard that Byrd really enjoyed playing in Pettines scheme along with the fact that he gets along great with his team mates, so much so that he was thinking about bringing some of them to the pro bowl with him ...

So do any of you think that if Pettine does get hired that it will have any thing to do with Byrds thought process of weather or not he (Byrd) wants to stay in B/Lo or if he decides to go to another team ??

I for one think that Byrd is hoping along with the rest of us that Pettine stays & think that there may be a good possibility that the Browns could even take Byrd with Pettine B/C i think their new FO has much more on the ball than the Bills FO .

Because their HC ing search has been exhaustive & they are leaving NO stone unturned & not jumping to hire simply because of time restraints they are willing to wait to talk to all they think can make the teams future better & don't have THAT guy seemingly already chosen & just going through the motions as other teams have done ...

I don't think Pettine leaving will have a huge impact on Byrd. Byrd also loves the other players (who are staying), and the secondary coach (who is likely staying, or could be the DC). Also, Marrone is likely to hire someone with a similar philosophy to Pettine. I don't think we will see G. Edwards/Wanny type D's anytime soon.

It is important to remember, that Bills defense could be better under another co-ordinator. Could go either way. But what scares me most about the prospect of Pettine leaving, is a change in defensive philosophy. We had a number of guys on defense this year, who had been disappointing, or underachieving to varying degrees for the last few years, who made huge leaps in their performance level.

The defense was far from perfect, but was dominating at times...to a man, whenever I heard any of the defensive guys interviewed after a good game, they commented on how much they loved playing in Pettines' defense, and how this was the "best defensive system I have played in" for me. Alan Branch, kind of a slightly above average journeymen to this point, had a great season in Buffalo, and didn't hestitate to re-sign in Buffalo, despite the "losing atmosphere". He could have likely singed elsewhere for the same money, or even more...but he cited the defensive system as being perfect for him. Dareus excelled, all the Williams, McKelvin...I just hope, whatever happens, we are running the same defense next year.

Byrd was a reluctant Bill in 2013, then seem to lose the bitterness that the season started with and also talked about loving the system in place...by the end of the season, however, he seemed back in his cautious stance...I didn't get a good feeling about him returning at the end of the season, no matter who he DC is. I just think, if they lose Pettine, to Byrd, it will just be a signal of "more of the same"...just the way most Bills fans are interpreing it. Of course, losing Pettine, will be of no fault of the Bills, but it will still be perceived by many as yet another failure on their part.

What I wish guys like Byrd would keep in mind, when you demand an exceptionally high salary, you will rarely get it, and will likely be a free-agent again, in 2 or 3 years....your salary demands often handcuff your team in other areas (thus extending the losing culture you are trying to break out of), and when the big payout comes, a team would just assume cut you (unlesss you are a QB) than pay you. Cracks me up that Drew Brees, after all his bellyaching about his contract last year, holding out when his team could have really used him, gets his big deal, and now, in 2013 is chirping that he is willing to re-structure, to take a paycut, to help keep his team together...where was that attitude in 2012?

Just wish these guys would look at the salary they are being offered (as opposed to what everyone else is making) and decide if it is a fair wage. The Bills may not be offering to make him one of the top three highest paid safeties in the NFL, but I bet they are making him a pretty nice offer.

Edited by Buftex