High school football coach fired after going 12-0 and winning state ti

Dr. Fong

Where the !@#$ did you go to High School? There wasn't anywhere in the world we went where alcohol wasn't available. Especially since we always brought some.

Kids are always going to be kids. They're going to smoke weed, drink, and fornicate whenever and wherever they can. You can pass all the laws and incarcerate everyone and it's not going to stop it. That coach did the only thing he could and the idiots who suspended him from coaching don't have the stones to be in charge of anything because they responded with "mob rule" mentality instead of actual leadership.

I went to !@#$ing high school right here in upstate New York and I drank and smoked weed all the time.

Know what I never did ... ever ... ?? Go to a party at a teacher or coach's house.

Even if it's not the coach's fault that the kids got schitfaced at his house ... it was the coach's fault that the kids were even welcomed there.

He screwed up.

Holy state the obvious Batman! They fired him, of course they want him gone. Opinions differ on 'why.' I don't see anything deeper than a coach was told to be cognizant of sportsmanship & not run up the score. By his own admission the coach ignored these warnings and was fired.

The drinking is just a back story IMO. As for whether it is a big deal...it is for Dr. Fong which is why he brought it to our attention. Just how big only he can tell you.

Over a 12-game season, they won by an average of 28 points/game. Their opponents scored an average of 21 points/game. Simply eye-balling the scores tells me that running scores up was clearly not an issue. I see three blowouts, possibly four. That's not a lot. His "admission" was likely part of the deal in which the school returned the favor by not pursuing the incident that was actually potentially illegal - endangering the welfare of children.

I went to !@#$ing high school right here in upstate New York and I drank and smoked weed all the time.

Know what I never did ... ever ... ?? Go to a party at a teacher or coach's house.

Even if it's not the coach's fault that the kids got schitfaced at his house ... it was the coach's fault that the kids were even welcomed there.

He screwed up.

Over a 12-game season, they won by an average of 28 points/game. Their opponents scored an average of 21 points/game. Simply eye-balling the scores tells me that running scores up was clearly not an issue. I see three blowouts, possibly four. That's not a lot. His "admission" was likely part of the deal in which the school returned the favor by not pursuing the incident that was actually potentially illegal - endangering the welfare of children.

Holy leap to conclusions Batman! :o

I work with Carl. The firing has been quite the story at work. I would just say I don't think he should have gotten fired but it makes me chuckle that he did. I have heard a few times at work that karma is a B word. He can be a real pain to work with as he is very hard headed and can try to intimidate people.

In his defense though, he had a few studs on his team. One played in the All-American game in San Antonio that was aired on NBC recently. I'm sure it stroked his ego that he was getting calls from top college programs and coaches about some of his players. His son was on the team so that is why there was a post game party at his house. I don't know what else he could have done to prevent kids from bringing alcohol to his house. Maybe he should have had some TSA agents search the kids.

High school football is big in the Tidewater area so this is a big story. Especially when you throw in the undefeated and State Championship angle. I'm sure there is more to the firing than both sides are saying but Carl's Real Man line was classic.

I work with Carl. The firing has been quite the story at work. I would just say I don't think he should have gotten fired but it makes me chuckle that he did. I have heard a few times at work that karma is a B word. He can be a real pain to work with as he is very hard headed and can try to intimidate people.

In his defense though, he had a few studs on his team. One played in the All-American game in San Antonio that was aired on NBC recently. I'm sure it stroked his ego that he was getting calls from top college programs and coaches about some of his players. His son was on the team so that is why there was a post game party at his house. I don't know what else he could have done to prevent kids from bringing alcohol to his house. Maybe he should have had some TSA agents search the kids.

High school football is big in the Tidewater area so this is a big story. Especially when you throw in the undefeated and State Championship angle. I'm sure there is more to the firing than both sides are saying but Carl's Real Man line was classic.

Don't have a party @ your house. Why the need for that type of fraternization? So, if he sounds like a bully to work with, sometimes it is better for the program to be dismantled especially @ the high school level. I kinda commend the district for taking the high ground.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Granted it was a different time. But in the late 70's we'd have parties(mostly cast parties) at teachers houses. There were times we had teachers vouch for us to get into local watering holes. But drinking age was 18 and like I said....a WHOLE different time!

Granted it was a different time. But in the late 70's we'd have parties(mostly cast parties) at teachers houses. There were times we had teachers vouch for us to get into local watering holes. But drinking age was 18 and like I said....a WHOLE different time!

What was the change? When crap started happening (not that it always didn't) and more lawyers getting involved? Is that what made it a whole different time?

You'd think this type of fraternization would have always been frowned upon.

That 3 year bump in the drinking age...16-17 year olds drinking then wasn't as huge of a perceived issue as it is if the drinking age is 21. Plus 24 hour news access. Stricter drinking and driving laws(a good thing). All that contributed. Mind you I personally knew of 2 student/teacher relationships... They just weren't plastered in every paper and I think they were dealt with 'internally'

What was the change? When crap started happening (not that it always didn't) and more lawyers getting involved? Is that what made it a whole different time?

You'd think this type of fraternization would have always been frowned upon.