Who remembers the blizzard of '77 ?

billsfan_34

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wasn't born yet so I do not remember. However in the mid eighties growing up I remember playing "The Blizzard of 77" board game.

Had to be an awesome storm to have a game built around it.

The Blizzard of '77 was in part responsible for the creation of FEMA.

And that wasn't a bad board game, as things go. I ought to create an online version.

The Blizzard of '77 was in part responsible for the creation of FEMA.

Interesting, what a legacy... (if you want to call it that @ times) ;-)

Some people that I have talked to in both Rock Island & Chicago USACE districts said they remember helping out w/personnel and equipment to clean up in BFLO. I know in past disasters our district here handles certain aspects. That has to all come under FEMA now. ??

People who working govt jobs in 1977 are still working?

What is everybody a wise guy? Do the math. :nana:

This was in the early 1990's. My comp year is 1991. I started w/BFLO district, went to Rock Island and the here to Chicago. Where I am @ now, they were Chicago District until around 1982 and then switched over to Rock Island District when USACE-RI took over the whole Illinois Waterway (4 locks here @ one time were in Chicago District, 3 went to Rock Island and The Chicago Harbor Lock stayed in Chicago District... That lock @ Chicago Harbor has been under contract personnel since theearly 1970's.)

So... That was only 14 years away from The Blizzard. I am 45 and will have 23 years in this year. Like I said, when I hit the Quad Cities in the early 1990's, a guy wanted me to bring back Genny Cream for him when I went back to BFLO. Also, my first supervisor was from IA. His first words to me were: "He lost the Rose Bowl for us too!" Referring to Ronnie Harmon's dropped pass against Cleveland.

Anyway, we in the gov't have to work till we die, especially my generation. No out in your late 50's. There are a few that are still under the old CSRS (pre-1984, they don't kick into Social Security) retirement system though.