Jahi McMath

boyst

It's sad, but this girl is brain dead. Keeping her alive is only for selfish reasons and won't bring her back.

Doc, that may be true, but you guys need to know that your proclamations that there is still hope make a ton of us think that there is still hope. I think I'd rather have a definitive answer right away.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Brain dead means no hope.

When a doctor tells you there is hope for several days and then abruptly tells you there is no hope it tends to make a person question the prognosis, at least for awhile. Thanks for you explanation anyway, I'd always wondered about that.

When a doctor tells you there is hope for several days and then abruptly tells you there is no hope it tends to make a person question the prognosis, at least for awhile. Thanks for you explanation anyway, I'd always wondered about that.

Brain death is irreversible, unlike coma. And there are certain criteria that need to be met to be declared brain dead (basically in absence of hypothermia or drugs, not breathing on your own, flat EEG, and absence of cerebral circulation). I'm assuming she met these, since they're saying she's brain dead. So while they might have been hoping she'd recover in those first few days, it didn't happen and the family is just trying to keep her around because they mistakenly think she's alive (the mother is claims she's breathing on her own, which she isn't, and that she'd reacting to her touch, when it's probably a primitive reflex arc like decerebrate posturing) and people are giving them bad advice.

Brain death is irreversible, unlike coma. And there are certain criteria that need to be met to be declared brain dead (basically in absence of hypothermia or drugs, not breathing on your own, flat EEG, and absence of cerebral circulation). I'm assuming she met these, since they're saying she's brain dead. So while they might have been hoping she'd recover in those first few days, it didn't happen and the family is just trying to keep her around because they mistakenly think she's alive (the mother is claims she's breathing on her own, which she isn't, and that she'd reacting to her touch, when it's probably a primitive reflex arc like decerebrate posturing) and people are giving them bad advice.

Frankly, and I have nothing to back this up but, I think what we have here might be a confluence of grief and shyster lawyers.

If they can prove even one of the things the mother said, however tenuously, it's just more fodder for the lawsuit that is absolutely coming.

The lead-up to this says that a lawsuit was a certainty anyway, but, if they can prove any of these things, that may just add a zero, or more, to the settlement.

Frankly, and I have nothing to back this up but, I think what we have here might be a confluence of grief and shyster lawyers.

If they can prove even one of the things the mother said, however tenuously, it's just more fodder for the lawsuit that is absolutely coming.

The lead-up to this says that a lawsuit was a certainty anyway, but, if they can prove any of these things, that may just add a zero, or more, to the settlement.

I agree a lawsuit is coming, but I'd bet they won't be able to refute that she's brain dead. You get more money for expensive long-term care than for death, and it's possible they hired a shyster who gave them bad advice and told them to claim she's alive so as to get more money. But it won't work.

I agree a lawsuit is coming, but I'd bet they won't be able to refute that she's brain dead. You get more money for expensive long-term care than for death, and it's possible they hired a shyster who gave them bad advice and told them to claim she's alive so as to get more money. But it won't work.

The "family lawyer" is already trying to set up the lawsuit:

Her mother, Nailah Winkfield, refusing to believe her daughter is dead as long as her heart is beating...

The family's lawyer, Christopher Dolan, said Jahi's condition suffered because of poor nutrition during her hospital stay. "We are very relieved she got safely to where she needed to be," he said.

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "You would be too, if you hadn't had nutrition in 26 days and were a sick little girl to begin with."

http://news.yahoo.com/girl-declared-brain-dead-moved-hospital-084442930.html

Sad thing is that there's enough stupid jurors out there that they'll have a good shot at finding people who will ignore the whole she's dead thing and award the family an obnoxious amount of money for her pain and suffering, etc.

The "family lawyer" is already trying to set up the lawsuit:

http://news.yahoo.co...-084442930.html

Sad thing is that there's enough stupid jurors out there that they'll have a good shot at finding people who will ignore the whole she's dead thing and award the family an obnoxious amount of money for her pain and suffering, etc.

If her heart's beating, take her off the machines.

That would kinda-sorta establish the difference between "her heart's beating" and "her heart's not beating, machines are doing it."