NFL Coaches SALARY

papazoid

We hired a college coach. Tried to hire Kelly; he wasn't leaving for a small-market job.

Are you sure the Bills made a serious effort to hire Kelly? My assumption is that the Bills had some interest, but Kelly told them not to bother. I never heard what really happened. It's also possible that the Bills took themselves out of the running when they heard Kelly's asking price.

Are you sure the Bills made a serious effort to hire Kelly? My assumption is that the Bills had some interest, but Kelly told them not to bother. I never heard what really happened. It's also possible that the Bills took themselves out of the running when they heard Kelly's asking price.

Kelly told both Buffalo and Cleveland he was staying at Oregon.

Philly offered him the moon financially and full control over personnel, so he shifted gears and bolted.

Kelly told both Buffalo and Cleveland he was staying at Oregon.

Philly offered him the moon financially and full control over personnel, so he shifted gears and bolted.

I think that the looming recruiting scandal at Oregon helped in his decision as well.

I wonder if Buffalo made him an offer anywhere close to what Philly offered (or even made an offer at all).

I wonder if Buffalo made him an offer anywhere close to what Philly offered (or even made an offer at all).

Probably not. Hiring smart, innovative, forward-thinking coaches is just not what this franchise does. There is no way the Bills organization would have given Kelly the support necessary to implement his system, which goes far beyond X's and O's.

Probably not. Hiring smart, innovative, forward-thinking coaches is just not what this franchise does. There is no way the Bills organization would have given Kelly the support necessary to implement his system, which goes far beyond X's and O's.

Don't get carried away over Kelly. He was so "forward thinking and innovative" he kept playing Vick when he had Foles on the bench. Even after Foles blew everyone away Kelly still wouldn't name him the starter until it was obvious to everyone he was the guy. He wouldn't have even made the playoffs if Vick didn't get hurt.

PTR

I think that the looming recruiting scandal at Oregon helped in his decision as well.

It absolutely did...and since he rebuffed all nfl overtures at that point I don't believe an offer was ever made.

Nobody was getting Kelly without giving him full control over personnel. With Whaley in the fold, that wasn't going to happen.

Why do you think that? They gave Marrone what he wanted to implement his system.