Merry Christmas PPP!

Tiberius

1) Yes - working hard trying to comprehend how someone finds disparities in wealth a new concept.

2) The government should not legislate charity by way of increasing taxes on those who are wealthy...

3 rather, it should be left to the individual to decide how best to distribute wealth (ie maybe by buying the Christmas stolen for the older lady ahead of you at the bakery or sending $500 to the church down the street for their fuel oil purchases this winter without asking for any notice in the bulletin). We all acknowledge some are less wealthy, and those who are far wealthier than you or me contribute privately to assist those who are needy. Sorry to call you a dumbass - but introducing this topic without admitting that many of us already support the "less fortunate" is a lapse in judgment in my opinion.

1) I never said it was new, but like every other time in history it's changing now, just asked if people thought it was a problem, you know, like Jesus did.

2) So you think all government assistance to the needy, the edlery, veterans, disabled, sick, insane, unlucky and those displaced through no fault of their own should not be helped? God, so glad that is not the majority opinion in this country anymore.

3 Good for you! I do as well. I Just think with so many with so much we can take care of everyone.

Just my values, thanks for the honest reply

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I never said it was new, but like every other time in history it's changing now, just asked if people thought it was a problem, you know, like Jesus did.

2) So you think all government assistance to the needy, the edlery, veterans, disabled, sick, insane, unlucky and those displaced through no fault of their own should not be helped? God, so glad that is not the majority opinion in this country anymore.

3 Good for you! I do as well. I Just think with so many with so much we can take care of everyone.

Just my values, thanks for the honest reply

Why do you throw veterans in with that group? Veterans had a deal with the government when they put their lives on the line. There were benefits awaiting them after they worked for a fraction of minimum wage. You need to take a step back, think a little, learn a little and realize that the Huffington Post is not the best place to get actual answers from.

Sorry to call you a dumbass - but introducing this topic without admitting that many of us already support the "less fortunate" is a lapse in judgment in my opinion.

not only are you dead-on with this, but you are much more diplomatic in stating so than I would have been. I don't know if it's due to lack of imagination, personal ideology, blind partisanship, or what, but too many people automatically look to the federal government for a fix for anything and everything. they don't seem to take into account that there are many, many volunteer and non-profit organizations that provide all kinds of asssistance for those that need it. these organizations exist purely to help their fellow man, and thousands upon thousands of people spend countless hours working on behalf of the truly needy, asking for no money for their efforts, and often times contributing funds anonymously. it's as if the left, in their haste to provide help (by using other peoples' money, I might add) completely ignore any of the methods that already exist and act as if we need some new kind of federal program to solve the issue. how often do you hear the anyone on the left doing a PSA on behalf of Goodwill Industries, the Salvation Army, Meals On Wheels, or any of those organizations? of course, they WILL do a PSA on behalf of Obamacare, generously donating their time and celebrity to a cause supported once again by other people's money. Milton Friedman once said 'government doesn't have a responsibility to the poor, PEOPLE have a responsibility to the poor'. personally, I think he was absolutely right when he said it.

Edited by Azalin

not only are you dead-on with this, but you are much more diplomatic in stating so than I would have been. I don't know if it's due to lack of imagination, personal ideology, blind partisanship, or what, but too many people automatically look to the federal government for a fix for anything and everything. they don't seem to take into account that there are many, many volunteer and non-profit organizations that provide all kinds of asssistance for those that need it. these organizations exist purely to help their fellow man, and thousands upon thousands of people spend countless hours working on behalf of the truly needy, asking for no money for their efforts, and often times contributing funds anonymously. it's as if the left, in their haste to provide help (by using other peoples' money, I might add) completely ignore any of the methods that already exist and act as if we need some new kind of federal program to solve the issue. how often do you hear the anyone on the left doing a PSA on behalf of Goodwill Industries, the Salvation Army, Meals On Wheels, or any of those organizations? of course, they WILL do a PSA on behalf of Obamacare, generously donating their time and celebrity to a cause supported once again by other people's money. Milton Friedman once said 'government doesn't have a responsibility to the poor, PEOPLE have a responsibility to the poor'. personally, I think he was absolutely right when he said it.

You said it much more eloquently than I. Thanks.

Income Inequality and Assault Rifle- two of my favoritest, completely political, lack of any real meaning words.

As far as changes in wealth distribution in this Nation, I refer to George Will who said "This Nation in excellent at creating Wealth, horrendous at spreading it around"

I don't in 2013 going onto 2014 there could be a truer statement.

Hope you are all having a great holiday and enjoying with your families a warm and memorable celebration.

Just so no one can read anything into that statement and rip into me for something I supposidly implied for or against a sacred principle or idea, I'll just throw this little topic of discussion out there on Christmas Eve:

Should we be worried about the rising inequality of wealth in American society? And if so what is the solution aside from bringing back corporal punishment to schools? Oops, sorry, forget that thing about the spankings, just kidding.

It's pretty undeniable the rich are getting much richer and we all know about the real unemployment rate:

http://economistsvie...g-inequali.html

"
: The richest Americans' share of national income has hit a postwar record, surpassing the highs reached in the 1990s bull market... The wealthiest 1% of Americans earned 21.2% of all income in 2005, according to new data from the Internal Revenue Service. That is up sharply from 19% in 2004, and surpasses the previous high of 20.8% set in 2000, at the peak of the previous bull market in stocks.

The bottom 50% earned 12.8% of all income, down from 13.4% in 2004 and a bit less than their 13% share in 2000".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You started a "merry Christmas" troll thread!? That's f'n hilarious. I suppose it is in poor taste, but it's funny none the less. cheers. :beer:

You started a "merry Christmas" troll thread!? That's f'n hilarious. I suppose it is in poor taste, but it's funny none the less. cheers. :beer:

Sad that you feel the plight of the common man and underprivileged is entertaining and a matter of frivolity. Typical.

Why do you throw veterans in with that group? Veterans had a deal with the government when they put their lives on the line. There were benefits awaiting them after they worked for a fraction of minimum wage. You need to take a step back, think a little, learn a little and realize that the Huffington Post is not the best place to get actual answers from.

I don't read the HP and I am a Vet. Ever hear of the Bonus army? The vast majority of Vets did not put their lives on the line, they were like me, in the rear with the gear. So, yes, Vets are in that group.

And God bless those organizations. Too bad that are so inadequte to the task. I wish they were up to the job, but they are not. I'm glad you think its nobel to help people, but can't understand why you think its so evil for government to promote the general welfare like the Constitution says.

How's Tgregg?

I don't read the HP and I am a Vet. Ever hear of the Bonus army? The vast majority of Vets did not put their lives on the line, they were like me, in the rear with the gear. So, yes, Vets are in that group.

And God bless those organizations. Too bad that are so inadequte to the task. I wish they were up to the job, but they are not. I'm glad you think its nobel to help people, but can't understand why you think its so evil for government to promote the general welfare like the Constitution says.

How's Tgregg?

Veterans don't receive "government assistance" for using their veteran's benefits, and I resent you not only saying it but doubling down on it. I didn't put my life on the line for contributing to my own SS benefits, but should that be considered "government assistance"?

Veterans don't receive "government assistance" for using their veteran's benefits, and I resent you not only saying it but doubling down on it. I didn't put my life on the line for contributing to my own SS benefits, but should that be considered "government assistance"?

Ya, veterans benefits are government assistance. WTF else are they? Did you get the GI Bill?

The phrase "promoting the general welfare" has been bastardized....I want my Obamaphone!!! Our founders would chuckle at what is currently classified as essential benefits.

It's an employment contract, not a hand out. You're insane.

Same thing. Vets are an organized interest group with political clout in the government. It's still government assistance, and I'm real glad to of had it.

The phrase "promoting the general welfare" has been bastardized....I want my Obamaphone!!! Our founders would chuckle at what is currently classified as essential benefits.

Well, our founders would of been mortified by the freeing of the slaves, they lived in a different world than we do now.

Now you are really pissing me off showing me what a total ass you are. Are SS benefits a government handout?

SS is government assistance. Sure, we pay in, but we take a lot more out than we contribute. You get pissed over discussing things?

Same thing. Vets are an organized interest group with political clout in the government. It's still government assistance, and I'm real glad to of had it.

Well, our founders would of been mortified by the freeing of the slaves, they lived in a different world than we do now.

SS is government assistance. Sure, we pay in, but we take a lot more out than we contribute. You get pissed over discussing things?

I can see where you might take out a lot more than you ever contributed to. My whole life I contributed somewhere around 15% of my income to SS. I like my pennies on the dollar "government assistance" program providing me with jack schit. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I can see where you might take out a lot more than you ever contributed to. My whole life I contributed somewhere around 15% of my income to SS. I like my pennies on the dollar "government assistance" program providing me with jack schit. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Don't be surprised if your health care costs takes out a lot more than you contributed.