Is professional "coach speak" contagious?

patfitz

Having endured the almost full season of the Bills and the nearly first half of the Sabres season this year, I have come to wonder if "coach speak' is actually contagious? From my personal observations, not based on any scientific statistical analysis, it does seem to be. Case in point the overuse of the word "obviously" in Bills' HC Marrone's vocabulalry, that in turn seems to be echoed from the mouth of Russ Brandon all the way down to the local sports radio talk show "parrots". The same phenomenon seems to be happening with the Sabres. I cite both B.R. and A.R. (before and after the "Regier and Rolston" review, now including the "Pat and Ted" dynamic duo) as well as G.R, when I listen to the WGR sports the regulars now routinely refer to the "C" word, as in "compete" when describing the Sabres' performance. I personally have had it up to my gills in "obviously and compete". Are there any other ways that our professional sports team navigators can verbalize their sentiments? Maybe I am too harsh but I obviously care about my level of compete!

Edited by patfitz

"Coach speak" hides incompetency.

I'm from Syracuse and I was high as a kite when the Buffalo Bills selected SU Orange coach Doug Marrone, et al, to lead them.

Nowadays I feel the exact opposite about Marrone and his former SU Orange staff since they've been coaching the Buffalo Bills. I really have NO faith in any/all of them. And I was warned by a lot of SU Orange fans here in Syracuse but I ignored their warnings.

And as I get older I realize that coaching is everything. EJ Manuel isn't the greatest QB in the NFL and with Marrone, et al, coaching him I expect EJ to just get worse over time.

"Coach speak" hides incompetency.

I'm from Syracuse and I was high as a kite when the Buffalo Bills selected SU Orange coach Doug Marrone, et al, to lead them.

Nowadays I feel the exact opposite about Marrone and his former SU Orange staff since they've been coaching the Buffalo Bills. I really have NO faith in any/all of them. And I was warned by a lot of SU Orange fans here in Syracuse but I ignored their warnings.

And as I get older I realize that coaching is everything. EJ Manuel isn't the greatest QB in the NFL and with Marrone, et al, coaching him I expect EJ to just get worse over time.

EJ's progress is not connected with Marrone's vocabulary. Nor is there a correlation between winning and entertaining press conferences.

EJ's progress is not connected with Marrone's vocabulary.

EJ's *lack of* progress is directly related to a coaching staff who have no idea what they are doing. EJ is not playing in Sunday's game against Miami but is expected to play against New England, the last game of the season.

I can't remember a Buffalo Bills season that was a complete waste like this year has been. Two weeks from now when the NFL season ends for the Buffalo Bills we can look back at 2013 and form no credible opinions. None.

Rookie coaching staff or not, that means Bad Coaching!

Having endured the almost full season of the Bills and the nearly first half of the Sabres season this year, I have come to wonder if "coach speak' is actually contagious? From my personal observations, not based on any scientific statistical analysis, it does seem to be. Case in point the overuse of the word "obviously" in Bills' HC Marrone's vocabulalry, that in turn seems to be echoed from the mouth of Russ Brandon all the way down to the local sports radio talk show "parrots". The same phenomenon seems to be happening with the Sabres. I cite both B.R. and A.R. (before and after the "Regier and Rolston" review, now including the "Pat and Ted" dynamic duo) as well as G.R, when I listen to the WGR sports the regulars now routinely refer to the "C" word, as in "compete" when describing the Sabres' performance. I personally have had it up to my gills in "obviously and compete". Are there any other ways that our professional sports team navigators can verbalize their sentiments? Maybe I am too harsh but I obviously care about my level of compete!

It's not "coach speak" at all, but a natural evolution of the language. It's nothing new, it's been going as long as man has used spoken language.

I have my own pet peeves about it, like "He played bad." No, the correct word is poor, and it's !@#$ing adverb, add 'ly' to the end of it!!!). But that's the difference between 'living' languages like English and 'dead' languages like Latin.

ive been watching press conferences from multiple teams in the NFL this season and I have noticed that Marrone is not alone in the use, err over-use, of the word "obviously" ...almost every coach I watched/listened to used the word quit often...kinda funny i never realized it till Marrone became coach tho..I can't recall Gailey using it or even Mularky or Jouron...maybe they made to many excuses to use the word often enough..after all, its hard to win in the NFL.

I see what you did with that last sentence...well played!

Marrone really started to lose me with his comments after he cut Da'Rick Rogers...It was not so much that he cut him, which admittedly I disagreed with...But I also knew it was a good possibility Rogers would be cut...Anyway...Marrone's comments about keeping players "who's produced over a long period of time (when he kept only one WR with ANY real production over any period of time in the NFL)," or the classic "I'm a big believer on the production part of it right now rather than what are we going to get down the road..." Production? In week 3 of preseason? What was this guy talking about?...He really lost a lot of my faith in him with that stuff and it started with the Rogers decision...And to be honest I'm not too keen on where this thing has been going since then...I do however think the guy cares a lot...And he does seem pretty genuine in that way...

We'll see...But it feels like we're going to see some serious "My way or the highway," in this coming offseason...And that would be fine if I just had more confidence in his way...He's got time to turn me back around for sure...And I certainly hope he's the right guy...But I have some serious doubts... B-)

...And I certainly hope he's the right guy...But I have some serious doubts... B-)

Hope is not a strategy. And you definitely are not alone with regard to doubting the competence of Bills HC Doug Marrone. He never really did anything here at Syracuse University. The knowledgeable SU fans have always maintained that the NFL is over Doug Marrone's head.

:death:

Edited by PearlHowardman

I think when people are trying to hide something, or are trying to speak around a subject, and not give a direct answer, they reach for these kinds of filler words, or phrases, like a security blanket. Among a tight group of people, using a word like "obviously" can become habitual, because they are using the term with each other, and listening to each other give interviews. I haven't listened to many Marrone interviews, but I will look for it. The people in this organization need a "security blanket" for every interview.

I find this kind of behavior analysis interesting, especially when there isn't anything else happening with a team that has been out of the playoffs for 14 seasons.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

It's not "coach speak" at all, but a natural evolution of the language. It's nothing new, it's been going as long as man has used spoken language.

I have my own pet peeves about it, like "He played bad." No, the correct word is poor, and it's !@#$ing adverb, add 'ly' to the end of it!!!). But that's the difference between 'living' languages like English and 'dead' languages like Latin.

2003 it was " passes defended " now its " passes defensed "

Edited by playman

2003 it was " passes defended " now its " passes defensed "

The OP wasn't referring to the coach's grammar. He is wondering why people throughout the organization are repeating the same terms, while they are laying out excuses for the team's poor play.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Im amazed people actually listen to press conferences and pay attention to what is said by coaches and front office people

its all BS

I just listen.

not really that amazing .

Blah blah blah has some underlying meaning . I just know it .