Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?

Jerry Jabber

Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?

His name is Richardson, and he'll probably go in the mid-late first round. Unless we end up trading down- which I always believe is worth doing- I'd love to swing a deal down to the 13th-16th spot and pick up and extra second and fourth- he won't be in our range.

That would be a good idea. The Bills were able to draft Woods & Alonso in the 2nd round, so it would be great if the Bills could have the same kind of sucess in the draft.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree to some extent. Graham and Gronkowski are just valuable as, if not more valuable than, Watt.

That's the extreme (not the rule). I would say that Watt, Gronk and Graham cancel out. Is Jordan Reed as important as Elvis Dumervil? That is a little better comparison. No team would trade the 10th best pass rusher in the league for the 10th best TE.

Why does this keep coming up? I don't understand...I REALLY don't understand it...

Because a "draft expert" said it during the draft and he was wrong but for some reason we think he might be right about one half of what he said. He said Cordy couldnt play tackle and didnt have the feet for it but would make a great guard.....Well he was wrong and we will never see if he is a good guard because he is an excellent LT

I must watching a different Bills team than the rest of you. The Cody Glenn I've watched has been average to good but not playing at an elite all-pro level people are suggesting. If a stud LT is available in the draft when the Bills pick AND he looks the part in training camp, I would definitely kick Glenn to LG where he could be dominant instead of average to good.

Obviously...the man has allowed very few sacks all year and was graded as the 8th best tackle by PFF so far

Wood was projected as one of the top 2 centers in the draft. He was always intended to play there (I think that Mack in Cleveland was the other 1st round center that year). You move talented guys to the most important positions on the line LT-C-RT-LG-RG in that order (IMO) not away from those positions. You do not take someone playing really well at the most important position on the line and move him to the 4th most important position. It just doesn't work that way.

I don't think that's as true any more. With teams going to more spread formations, and definitely with QB's getting rid of the ball quicker..defenses have had to get more pressure up the middle. They realized that just waiting for the edge rusher to turn the corner wasn't getting there in time. Being a copy cat league, I'm sure every DC watched the Giants' upset over NE in the SB and saw the value of getting pressure up the middle.

To counter that, teams have now been finding (and paying for), quality interior linemen. That's why Logan Mankins is paid what he is paid, and why Carl Nicks went for a ransom to Tampa (it wasn't the cleanliness of their facilities). It is why Ozzie Newsome invests in the position, why NO has two Pro Bowl guards and why drafting them in the 1st is becoming a little more popular.

It isn't that the LT position has been thought worthless, it just isn't the end all and be all position on the OL. I was never a big fan of the "we have a LT and that's all we need" philosophy as much..teams will just exploit the weak spot...now more than ever.

I'm not sure about moving Glenn to guard, I like him where he is...but he does have the potential to be a dominant guard, a Carl Nicks/Jahri Evans type. With a very good LT, the left side would be one to fear.

Life could be worse if that happened.

I don't think that's as true any more. With teams going to more spread formations, and definitely with QB's getting rid of the ball quicker..defenses have had to get more pressure up the middle. They realized that just waiting for the edge rusher to turn the corner wasn't getting there in time. Being a copy cat league, I'm sure every DC watched the Giants' upset over NE in the SB and saw the value of getting pressure up the middle.

To counter that, teams have now been finding (and paying for), quality interior linemen. That's why Logan Mankins is paid what he is paid, and why Carl Nicks went for a ransom to Tampa (it wasn't the cleanliness of their facilities). It is why Ozzie Newsome invests in the position, why NO has two Pro Bowl guards and why drafting them in the 1st is becoming a little more popular.

It isn't that the LT position has been thought worthless, it just isn't the end all and be all position on the OL. I was never a big fan of the "we have a LT and that's all we need" philosophy as much..teams will just exploit the weak spot...now more than ever.

I'm not sure about moving Glenn to guard, I like him where he is...but he does have the potential to be a dominant guard, a Carl Nicks/Jahri Evans type. With a very good LT, the left side would be one to fear.

Life could be worse if that happened.

I agree with a lot of what you said. At the end of the day a LT is still more important than a LG. The gap between the two has diminished some but it still exists.