December 7th, 1941

boyst

My Dad & Uncles were all WWII Vets. They were a special group. Given similar circumstance, I doubt if the USA could repeat what they accomplished today. RIP Vets!

Eh, I'm pretty sure we could step up if this happened again, in fact I know it. There's a whole bunch of late 20's/early 30's guys and girls with 12 years experience in the Army crawling all over my town (Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville, NC). They all joined after 9/11.

Eh, I'm pretty sure we could step up if this happened again, in fact I know it. There's a whole bunch of late 20's/early 30's guys and girls with 12 years experience in the Army crawling all over my town (Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville, NC). They all joined after 9/11.

We could, and we would. That said, what the American troops did in WW II in response to those attacks 72 years ago today is and was an incredible feat.

We could, and we would. That said, what the American troops did in WW II in response to those attacks 72 years ago today is and was an incredible feat.

No we couldn't. We live in a country nowadays where everyone expects everybody else to step up and solve problems. The sense of responsibility and independence engendered in the Depression-era generation is gone.

No we couldn't. We live in a country nowadays where everyone expects everybody else to step up and solve problems. The sense of responsibility and independence engendered in the Depression-era generation is gone.

You underestimate the people of this country. If we were under attack and it truly was like WWII we would step up. If it was 9/11 and something as silly as going to Iraq and the way that was handled, well, it's just not the same. Without getting this full fledged PPP, 9/11 and the response was nothing like WWII and the response. More importantly, the world was at war at that time.

Tell this to the military members and their families following multiple tours in either Iraq or Afghanistan. Where i might agree with you is the people on the "home-front" are less prone to sacrifice.

Tell this to the military members and their families following multiple tours in either Iraq or Afghanistan. Where i might agree with you is the people on the "home-front" are less prone to sacrifice.

In WWII, the US put roughly 10% of its population in uniform, and 40% of GDP into the war. The number of people in uniform and percent GDP spent on Iraq and Afghanistan in the past ten years is about a tenth that. The comparison isn't even remotely valid - the people fighting the GWOT aren't representative of the nation as a whole.