Remain Calm, all is not as lost as it appears

I know this recent loss by the Bills appears common place in the past decade or more. Fumbles, penalties, shooting themselves in the foot and so on can seem to become common place. But remain calm in reaction and bare in mind, the team is building toward a brighter future as of late.

Take the time to study what our needs our. The teams weaknesses and strengths. Draw a line from A to B and look to the draft to see where the team can benefit the most in new personnel coming in. Don't look at this loss as the end all be all for the Buffalo Bills. Many of you are younger and have endured the past 13 years. Well, many of us that are older have seen this before, the late 70's to 90 period.

Be advised, better times are coming. Draw strength as Bills fans from this experience, don't give in to anger. Instead, focus on what can be achieved in the off season since the playoffs are lost.

With that said, I'd like to offer my most humble opinion on one topic. Put aside the fumbles for a moment. This team has a real issue with the deep ball. The QB is young yes, but after a handful of games with EJ at the helm, I can tell you with most certainty, this cat has no real skill with the long ball and unless he finds that skill, it's all over before it begins. Just my 2 cents on analysing what I see.

On the positive, the defense is monster, not quite perfected, but dam near good enough to get it done.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that this is the worst Bills team in...I don't know - 4 or 5 seasons.

And I have no faith in the future for the Bills. Next season another 6-10 or 7-9 - whatever!

You obviously didn't live through the 86 to 88 seasons, this team is far from that era. As I said, draw strenght from the positives, look to the future, for in another season or 2, I strongly believe the Bills will not only be playoff bound, but a force to be reckoned with. It all depends on EJ's development. It all hinges on the QB.

So the guy that thinks our future franchise QB can't throw the long ball wants everyone to remain calm and be patient. What exactly is this brighter future they're building towards?

If all were missing is the long ball threat to spread the field, that's a hell of alot less of a problem then what I saw with this team in the past decade. Admitting progress has been made is the hardest thing to do when you finally come to realize it's not quite a completed product. Look to the QB I tell you, because from experience as a fan this I know, it's the only question mark we truly have.

Well said. Stomach wrenching loss, can't make this Sh$t up type of loss but these players are developing before our eyes ala Aaron Williams etc. we lost a gm 34-31 in OT against a good falcons team despite their record. Look at all rookies and injuries we had. Some people just want to bit$ch instead of hurting with the team over a loss like this instead of against them. Cut or trade Stevie? Wtf? As if he was dangling the ball out with one hand, please trolls go away. This guy lives and breathes bills and wants it more than anyone. Chandler, do we need upgrade at tight end, probably but again he came up clutch getting open. The fumbles, unfortunate and unbelievable but its part of the process.

This team definitely has talent and the potential to be a playoff team in the future.

Defensive line, Alonso, Gilmore, Glenn, Spiller, Byrd... these are top, young talents in the league.

But, I agree on Manuel, he lacks the passing ability to be among the best. And if you don't have a QB, it's an extremely uphill battle.

When your starters make those kinds of mistakes at the end, you can't win. Need some new players...but lets find out about the rookies and the bench right now. Start Gragg at TE, if he can play, great, if not, lettem hit the street and get somebody else. Same with Goodwin and Graham Sit S Johnson, and lets see if the other guys can do it. And, put in a QB who can throw the verticle ball. EJ doesn't have it......a new O coordinator whould also help, but thats not in the cards. Interesting, Chan's downfall as HC was his inability to pick good defensive coordinators..........Marrone has picked a weak O coordinator. We need to see if he has the stones to get rid of this guy. Hackett is as bad a Manuel....they actually deserve each other.

This team definitely has talent and the potential to be a playoff team in the future.

Defensive line, Alonso, Gilmore, Glenn, Spiller, Byrd... these are top, young talents in the league.

But, I agree on Manuel, he lacks the passing ability to be among the best. And if you don't have a QB, it's an extremely uphill battle.

Yes, this exactly. Not that he can't do it, just to early to tell, but so far, his long ball, and some of his check down dump off passes I seriously question. I want my QB to come in with an attitude of confidence and to execute on his end above all else. To date, I don't see that in EJ, not to say he can't develop it, but in the end, I'm skeptical he can.

I think this years' team would have been a playoff team if it had good consistent quarterback play this year.

EJ did miss a number of throws today that should have been better. But, at least they got him to throw the deep ball a few times in the second half.

I still hate how often he checks down. I would rather have him throw the long ball on 3rd and 15 rather than see them try to turn a 3 yard screen into a first down there.

If I was coach, EJ would be spending an hour each morning and another hour each afternoon alternating long ball passes to Graham and Goodwin day after day after day. He should be so used to throwing that route that it is second nature to him. If he can't learn to do that, he will never be the guy I want.

Yes, this exactly. Not that he can't do it, just to early to tell, but so far, his long ball, and some of his check down dump off passes I seriously question. I want my QB to come in with an attitude of confidence and to execute on his end above all else. To date, I don't see that in EJ, not to say he can't develop it, but in the end, I'm skeptical he can.

Anyone who complains about dump off passes while viewing at home without the benefit of the all 22 film to see the coverages is just plain being silly.

Anyone who complains about dump off passes while viewing at home without the benefit of the all 22 film to see the coverages is just plain being silly.

I understand there will be those such as yourself to counter my skepticism. Let's step back into this subject in 2 seasons, shall we? If my hunch is right, based on his current success rates, we'll be discussing the next Bills 1st rd pick or trade for a top end QB talent.

I understand there will be those such as yourself to counter my skepticism. Let's step back into this subject in 2 seasons, shall we? If my hunch is right, based on his current success rates, we'll be discussing the next Bills 1st rd pick or trade for a top end QB talent.

I think a lot of it is going to depend on where they go from here as far as putting the right players around EJ.......

I bet EJ would be a lot more apt to take chances with the ball if he had guys who would actually snap something that was right on the bullseye on every play.....

- His number 1 reciever cant stay healthy and makes mistakes at the worst possible times....then sulks when he doesnt get the ball

- His number 1 TE has no speed or athletic ability.......doesnt fight for the ball........and falls down as soon as he is hit

I think a lot of it is going to depend on where they go from here as far as putting the right players around EJ.......

I bet EJ would be a lot more apt to take chances with the ball if he had guys who would actually snap something that was right on the bullseye on every play.....

- His number 1 reciever cant stay healthy and makes mistakes at the worst possible times....then sulks when he doesnt get the ball

- His number 1 TE has no speed or athletic ability.......doesnt fight for the ball........and falls down as soon as he is hit

Good post, I was waiting for this. I've thought on this long and hard. a 2 and 9 team comes in and I payed close attention to his mechanics since he came into the league this year. Many things were wrong, but not with the receivers, he under threw 7 passes, behind 4, and over threw 9 long balls. That's 20 passes. Not all were incompletes mind you as several were caught by adjustments his receivers made, but in the end, those long ball side line over throws are critical. Putting the pickle in the barrel on those stretches that field for opposing defenses. It's not happening currently.

I'll do you one better. I'm effin furious at the result of the game yet optimistic about the long term of this team.

EJ and the deep ball will be fine. He's ok. So soon we forget the nice throws in the Jets game. Today EJ overthrew a couple but they were good decisions and decent throws. Not sure if even a perfect ball would have resulted in a completion.

In summary...that was atrocious and I'm disgusted. Hopefully next year is better.

I am an EJ "hater" but I thought he looked like a passable game manager the past two weeks. He's shown enough to merit another year of development imo.

Is it rational to be as you say, an EJ "hater", so early in his rookie campaign? If he's shown enough for another year, from where does the "hate" emanate?