List of best safeties in the game

Nobody. I know somebody has to be, but I'm not paying a safety over $7 mill a year. Too easy to find a guy that can get the job done for much less. You pay a guy like Mario Williams big money so you don't have to throw money at a Byrd type.

With that said, I won't call it a bad move if they go to $8 mill. The fact that there are safeties (Antrel Rolle, Eric Weddle, Troy Polamalu, Dashon Goldson) have cap hits over $10 mill for some seasons is crazy.

I think safeties, much like guy's like Mario Williams, are paid for their reputation as well as their actual play. A better QB wouldn't have thrown the ball anywhere near Byrd in our last game. Just like Mario gets double-teamed on the regular, allowing Dareus and Kyle to make plays, a guy like Byrd is good for the rest of the defense. Having guys that offenses have to scheme for is a good thing.

bills have had more than enough cap to spend on byrd. i don't understand the i don't want to spend Xamount on him he's not worth it ideas. its not your money! and the bill are not in any kind of salary cap jail. this FO needs to sign and keep there own players just ike russ said right right before they let andy levitre walk for nothing. so far it looks like business as usual for this front office. not resigning talent that was drafted here. you can even look at this silly tornoto series as a $$$ move. its been a epic failure for the team on the field and the players express that it sucks. those people don't care if they win or lose. this FO is conducting business as usual.

bills have had more than enough cap to spend on byrd. i don't understand the i don't want to spend Xamount on him he's not worth it ideas. its not your money! and the bill are not in any kind of salary cap jail. this FO needs to sign and keep there own players just ike russ said right right before they let andy levitre walk for nothing. so far it looks like business as usual for this front office. not resigning talent that was drafted here. you can even look at this silly tornoto series as a $$$ move. its been a epic failure for the team on the field and the players express that it sucks. those people don't care if they win or lose. this FO is conducting business as usual.

I don't agree. There are only so many dollars to go around under the cap. If you have capable guys at a good price (Ie Williams, Williams and Searcy) you may consider allocating those dollars elsewhere. I like Byrd and have been in the keep him camp (the whole time). If the numbers got too big those dollars could possibly better used in an area of need.

Part of the reason that the Bills paid Mario what they did us because they did not have anyone that could do what he does. The Bills do have guys that could fill Byrd's role (not quite as well). They have certain areas (ie LG and TE) that need serious upgrading. Would you rather have Byrd, Chandler and Lee Smith or Searcy, Vernon Davis (just an example) and Chandler? Those are the real decisions that front office people make.

well, since I'm a season ticket holder of this franchise, technically it is MY MONEY that they are spending. But I do agree that my money wants to keep Byrd a Bill

I like the idea of getting rid of Mario, and Bryd. To much money for guys who don't make enough game changing plays.

Exactly how many game changing plays should Byrd be making? Name two safeties who, in your opinion, make more "game changing" plays than Byrd.

I don't agree. There are only so many dollars to go around under the cap. If you have capable guys at a good price (Ie Williams, Williams and Searcy) you may consider allocating those dollars elsewhere. I like Byrd and have been in the keep him camp (the whole time). If the numbers got too big those dollars could possibly better used in an area of need.

Part of the reason that the Bills paid Mario what they did us because they did not have anyone that could do what he does. The Bills do have guys that could fill Byrd's role (not quite as well). They have certain areas (ie LG and TE) that need serious upgrading. Would you rather have Byrd, Chandler and Lee Smith or Searcy, Vernon Davis (just an example) and Chandler? Those are the real decisions that front office people make.

you say there is only so many dollars to go around but the bills have more than enough cap space to sign him and still not be in any salary cap problem. and i think they'll draft a TE. the TEs that will be available this year could be had much cheaper than a vernon davis. pettigrew/gresham could be had cheaper . but i think they'd rather draft one. and yes id rather have Byrd-draftpick, vernon davis is a top 3 TE. we wouldn't be able to get a TE of that caliber without spending huge money.

well, since I'm a season ticket holder of this franchise, technically it is MY MONEY that they are spending. But I do agree that my money wants to keep Byrd a Bill

its kind of your money in a sense. but they don't care what you or i think. they make more off TV deals than season ticket holders. if they really cared would they have sold off one of the valuable home games that season ticket holders pay for to toronto? would they charge you fell price for 2 pre season games? i just question the money management of this team over the last 10 or so years.

I like the idea of getting rid of Mario, and Bryd. To much money for guys who don't make enough game changing plays.

and than what? the bills won't spend that money and drop it right in there own pocket if its not spent on players. pay your good players and move forward. draft well and pay your guys.

well, since I'm a season ticket holder of this franchise, technically it is MY MONEY that they are spending.

In no real sense is it your money anymore. Once you spend your money on something, it belongs to the seller to do with as he pleases. If the Bills don't spend "your money" on Byrd, you are not going to get a refund.

you say there is only so many dollars to go around but the bills have more than enough cap space to sign him and still not be in any salary cap problem. and i think they'll draft a TE. the TEs that will be available this year could be had much cheaper than a vernon davis. pettigrew/gresham could be had cheaper . but i think they'd rather draft one. and yes id rather have Byrd-draftpick, vernon davis is a top 3 TE. we wouldn't be able to get a TE of that caliber without spending huge money.

Ironically, Davis' contract is almost identical to what is being thrown around for Byrd. That is why I used him as the example. He is not a free agent but that caliber of player at a position of need was the example. It is just the type of decision that front office people have to make.

So for the example you prefer Byrd to Vernon Davis? I could go either way on that personally but in our situation and with our safety depth I would probably pick Vernon Davis. Again, it is not a real option as he is under contract but the type of decision that Whaley has to think about. It is not as simple is "Byrd is good so pay him whatever." I am not saying that they do not have the room to sign Byrd. I am saying is that room better used elsewhere? The real answer is that it depends on your options.

Edited by Kirby Jackson