Has anyone taken notice that

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks dubs.

Here's another very relevant stat plucked from the Buffalo News today:

"Buffalo ranks fifth in sacks per pass attempt faced, which is a more accurate way to rank pass rush than the actual sack totals."

Great stat and good to see you around again. I also love pressures because when you rush a throw, that can lead to an INT. The biggest thing I've noticed about this defense is they make QBs uncomfortable. I've never seen a Bills D hit Brady as much as they did in the opener. For years, Brady would have all day to throw. Not anymore.

Are the sacks and pressure making the turn int's or the coverage making the sacks? That's what I always find interesting, and in my quick thought - its pressure.

It's a combo of both. Physically, McKelvin and Gilmore are as skilled as any cbs in the league. But you can only cover for so long. Cornerback is so hard to play. It's also about confidence. McKelvin and Aaron Williams lost their confidence. But when a QB gets rushed a bit and they make plays, they get their confidence back. As a result, they are playing the best football of their careers.

Also, you can call a lot more blitzes when you have confidence in your cbs to play man to man.

It's a combo of both. Physically, McKelvin and Gilmore are as skilled as any cbs in the league. But you can only cover for so long. Cornerback is so hard to play. It's also about confidence. McKelvin and Aaron Williams lost their confidence. But when a QB gets rushed a bit and they make plays, they get their confidence back. As a result, they are playing the best football of their careers.

Also, you can call a lot more blitzes when you have confidence in your cbs to play man to man.

Byrd has also found his swagger, and will only get until the playoffs. He keyed in very well on Smiths eyes to get to the places Geno wanted to go coaching and his ball hawking ability helped here, too.

Are the sacks and pressure making the turn int's or the coverage making the sacks? That's what I always find interesting, and in my quick thought - its pressure.

I agree with C.Biscuit.

The pass rush is improved but so is the coverage.

From what I can divine with my naked eyes I would say the sacks are almost a 50/50 split between improved pressure and improved coverage.