A Positive Sign: Syracuse, NY Taking Notice Of The Bills!

The Syracuse fans come off here like a bunch of bandwagons, to be honest.

Here is something that might surprise you: Most fans are bandwagon fans. The majority of people follow the good teams. It is why ESPN focuses on the winning and big market teams. That doesn't mean that they should be discounted. It is why succesful teams make money - because bandwagon fans buy the gear, tickets, etc..

Don't confuse that with the fact that there are many of us die hards!

To the internets!!!

(# of home games listed in pre-season)

1986 - 1

1987 - 0

1988 - 1

1989 - 2

1990 - 1

1991 - 1

1992 - 1

1993 - 1

1994 to 1998 - 2

1999 - 1

2000 - 1

2001 to 2013 - 2

Aren't you forgetting the Toronto preseason games? 2008 and 2010 both had preseason games played in Toronto.

Syracuse fan only really cares about the Orange.

If you say Orange Basketball I will give you that. When it comes to football not many people care at all about them. With Marrone bringing them back yes, but 59-3 FSU there was little to no reaction other than yeah they suck.

I live here in Syracuse (but originally from Rochester so not sure if that counts) and I'm a season ticket holder and I'd say its about 50/50 Bills and Giants fans. I think you see more Giants gear at stores because of the recent Super Bowl success making them more relevant to casual fans.

This speaks to my point above about people everywhere being bandwagoners but following success. I always tell people that there is room on the Bills Wagon - lots of room! :bag:

Edited by section122

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what does the consensus of Syracuse cynics think about the Buffalo Bills?

Easy: The Bills are better than the team that showed up to play Pittsburgh two weeks ago and not nearly as good as the team that played the self-destructing Jets two days ago.

.500 team.

Next season schedule will be difficult.

Always listen to the Syracuse cynics when it comes to the Buffalo Bills!

:thumbsup:

The Jets didn't self-destruct on their own. They made big mistakes as a result of the how the Bills played them.

Saved my first post for this. I was born and raised in Endicott, NY became a Bills fan when the Giants moved out of NY. Been to many games with lots of Bills fans from Endicott and Vestal. I have been in NC for 13 years, haven't been to a game since. Going to try to make Fish game in Dec. Thanks for the snow shovel tip.

Go Kiko

Great first post. Nice and succinct!

What % of Bills fans do you think make up the Binghamton area (at least 13 years ago)?

Having the Buffalo Bills play a pre-season game at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY is a brilliant idea.

Homecoming for Syracuse native Russ Brandon.

Homecoming for former Syracuse University football coaching staff of Doug Marrone, Nathaniel Hackett, Tyrone Wheatley, Gred Adkins, Donnie Henderson, and Jason Rebrovich.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2013/01/syracuse_football_loses_three.html

Having grown up in Syracuse, the area really is what ever way the wind blows. In the 1990's it was Bills territory, followed closely by the NYG. By the 2000's it became more spread out with the Giants, then Bills and Jets holding the most fans, followed by a whole lot of randomness.

I actually knew a lot of people who followed the Eagles because of Donovan McNabb (or so they claimed), but following his departure from Philly that fad has faded.

I grew up there too & can confirm the bandwagony nature: lots of random Cowboys, 9ers, & even Dolphins fans. Like someone else mentioned I don't remember any Jet fans but they were always terrible then too.

I don't know if they have more fans than the Giants or not. True test is who do they show when they're on the same time & station? If it's still like it used to be they don't bump either team from their "usual network", meaning they show the Giants if the Bills are hosting an NFC team on fox & vice versa.

Sorry!

Opinions in Syracuse are now turning against the Buffalo Bills.

Being from Syracuse I was happy to see Doug Marrone, et al, leave the SU Orange football program to coach the NFL Buffalo Bills.

There were many, many, many naysayers here in Syracuse about the Bills selecting these college coaches to coach in the NFL.

I ignored the naysayers.

But I'm increasingly believing that the naysayers were 100% correct.

The Buffalo Bills aren't going anywhere with these former SU college coaches!