State Dept. Wants To Make It Up To Russia Over Snowden

3rdnlng

Are you kidding me?

http://www.nytimes.c...enceagency&_r=0

For the State Department, permitting Russia to build the stations would help mend the Obama administration’s relationship with the government of President Vladimir V. Putin, now at a nadir because of Moscow’s granting asylum to Mr. Snowden and its backing of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria.

But the C.I.A. and other American spy agencies, as well as the Pentagon, suspect that the monitor stations would give the Russians a foothold on American territory that would sharpen the accuracy of Moscow’s satellite-steered weapons. The stations, they believe, could also give the Russians an opening to snoop on the United States within its borders.

The squabble is serious enough that administration officials have delayed a final decision until the Russians provide more information and until the American agencies sort out their differences, State Department and White House officials said.

Russia’s efforts have also stirred concerns on Capitol Hill, where members of the intelligence and armed services committees view Moscow’s global positioning network — known as Glonass, for Global Navigation Satellite System — with deep suspicion and are demanding answers from the administration.

“I would like to understand why the United States would be interested in enabling a GPS competitor, like Russian Glonass, when the world’s reliance on GPS is a clear advantage to the United States on multiple levels,” said Representative Mike D. Rogers, Republican of Alabama, the chairman of a House Armed Services subcommittee.

Edited by 3rdnlng

What the !@#$ do we care about "mending" our relationship with Russia? They've done everything they could to be a thorn in our side for years. They don't want a cordial relationship, they want to be a cold war counterweight to our power.

Leave it to that clueless asshat Obama to just keep taking it up the rear end from Putin and think he's going to either get a reach around or a hug.

Is POTUS in to self-flagellation? Oh wait...he certainly isn't into self criticism (see ObamaCare); maybe he just likes the public spanking side of that coin, "Hurt me again, embarrass me in public, Vlad!"

What would Nancy and Harry do?