Our "Horrible" CB Crew

LB3

Remember how horrible most analysts (national and local) thought our CB depth was going into the season? That was before Gilmore even got hurt. It's starting to look now like we could have one of the better entire defensive back fields in the league. Let's start from the top.

Gilmore - Hasn't played many games, but it looks like this kid could be a shutdown corner for years. He had the bad play against Mike Wallace and a bad half against Bowe, other than those games he's been great. 2 games with no yards given up. That's impressive.

McKelvin - Now that he's playing a lot more press coverage he has improved a ton. You can see his confidence level is so much higher than years past. He's physical and can stay step for step with anyone. He could be a legit number one on quite a few teams.

Robey - If he wasn't 5'7 I think he'd be talked about as one of the best rookie corners in the league. The guy is like glue on the receiver. What he lacks in size he makes up for in instinct and quickness. He diagnoses so quick and we will see him get his hands on more balls this year.

Brooks - Remains to be seen. Has shown flashes of good and bad. As a 4th CB option I think he is pretty solid.

A. Williams - WOW. What a turnaround for this kid. He gets overlooked because of Mario and The Legend but he could be in consideration as this teams d mvp. He's done everything asked of him, and he's done it well. He's gotten burned as corner a few times but he's played markedly better there than in previous seasons. He's got some ball hawk in him. He can cover any guy on their team from #1 wr to te. As a safety he's a beast.

Byrd - Pro bowl talent. I don't care about the holdout or the injury. I really hope he stays.

Searcy,Leonard - Name a team that has back up safeties that can pay that well.

This team should have a bright future and the db's will be a big part of it. Just wanted to show these guys some love.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

"Actually, I remember a lot of people on HERE complaining about our CB depth, but I don't recall it being a National conversation."

Sadly, I watch NFL Network coverage year round and I can only remember negative talk unless it was about Gilmore. Can't really blame them but still.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

One thing to keep in mind is how weirdly consistent our schedule has been. Much like our running game has faced good Front 7's week after week (of course we weren't lucky enough to play the Pats/Bengals post Wilfork/Atkins injuries) we also have not played any real potent passing attacks outside of the Saints.

So I think when you factor that in, along with getting lit up by Geno & Weeden for huge plays, along with playing well in other games despite numerous key injuries, along with benefiting from a pretty good pass-rush, the Secondary grades out to about average for me.

But ya all the griping about lacking depth was never really fair. 5th string CB's aren't supposed to be good afaik.

That Robey stat is interesting.

Per PFF...Robey giving up .52 yards per coverage in the slot. Best in the NFL. He has been very impressive IMO. Aggressive tackler as well.

I love Robey. I don't care that he gave up two TDs to the Saints, he had pretty damn good coverage on both, and the receivers just made great plays. Otherwise he has been outstanding.

I personally dont see ANYTHING from Byrd that Searcy wasnt providing......jmo

And what was thought to be a weakness has in fact turned into a strenghth with the emergency of Robey......all the other guys are pretty much playing the way I expected them to.

I would like to see Gilmore start to get more picks

I disagree with this. There is a noticble difference that I could tell right away... Byrd plays, we beat NE at home

I personally dont see ANYTHING from Byrd that Searcy wasnt providing......jmo

And what was thought to be a weakness has in fact turned into a strenghth with the emergency of Robey......all the other guys are pretty much playing the way I expected them to.

I would like to see Gilmore start to get more picks

Doesn't Searcy backup the Strong Safety (A. Williams) with Leonard backing up the Free Safety (Byrd)?

Remember how horrible most analysts (national and local) thought our CB depth was going into the season? That was before Gilmore even got hurt. It's starting to look now like we could have one of the better entire defensive back fields in the league. Let's start from the top.

Gilmore - Hasn't played many games, but it looks like this kid could be a shutdown corner for years. He had the bad play against Mike Wallace and a bad half against Bowe, other than those games he's been great. 2 games with no yards given up. That's impressive.

McKelvin - Now that he's playing a lot more press coverage he has improved a ton. You can see his confidence level is so much higher than years past. He's physical and can stay step for step with anyone. He could be a legit number one on quite a few teams.

Robey - If he wasn't 5'7 I think he'd be talked about as one of the best rookie corners in the league. The guy is like glue on the receiver. What he lacks in size he makes up for in instinct and quickness. He diagnoses so quick and we will see him get his hands on more balls this year.

Brooks - Remains to be seen. Has shown flashes of good and bad. As a 4th CB option I think he is pretty solid.

A. Williams - WOW. What a turnaround for this kid. He gets overlooked because of Mario and The Legend but he could be in consideration as this teams d mvp. He's done everything asked of him, and he's done it well. He's gotten burned as corner a few times but he's played markedly better there than in previous seasons. He's got some ball hawk in him. He can cover any guy on their team from #1 wr to te. As a safety he's a beast.

Byrd - Pro bowl talent. I don't care about the holdout or the injury. I really hope he stays.

Searcy,Leonard - Name a team that has back up safeties that can pay that well.

This team should have a bright future and the db's will be a big part of it. Just wanted to show these guys some love.

Williams will replace Byrd next year and that will be that. Gilmore, McK, Searcy and Williams for a few years hopefully. Brooks/Robey as nickel. You will see this group show off over the last 7 games. Watch and enjoy. Finally we get the entire D on the field pretty much healthy. Took 9 games to get here, but here we are.

horrible? Are you looking at the placing or the stats?

if this is sorted correctly

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2013&seasonType=REG&role=OPP&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG

Total passing yards per game (allowed by Buffalo) 18th 246.9 ypg against HIGH powered Teams with - Brady, Breese, Dalton.

The 0-8 Buc's are 15th against the pass with 240.5 ypg.

21st New York Jets

28th Washington Redskins

29th Minnesota Vikings

30th Denver Bronco's