Release Tuel

Nyghtewynd

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, I do respect your opinion, but do believe differently.

Here's my argument in a nutshell. Tuel had very little success in college. He wasn't highly thought of coming out of school. He plays the highest profile position, a position that every team is consistently trying to find an answer for (now and in the future), yet he didn't even get drafted. He didn't get drafted in a draft that the consensus said was one of the weakest QB drafts in a very long time. In other words, Tuel was a player that was signed to the PS to try and develop into a future backup (as was stated on this board numerous times).

Then comes the eye test. Positives: He displays some confidence. He makes pretty quick decisions. He's fairly athletic. Negatives: He has a very weak arm. While he makes quick decisions, they aren't necessarily the right ones. He has a difficult time hitting intermediate routes because of his arm strength shortcomings.

Even on that 3rd and 1 play, Marrone said the ball was supposed to go to Stevie, but the snap was low so Tuel went to Graham. Seriously?

So while I really don't mind signing him and stashing him on the PS, I don't see any history or evidence that he could be counted on to win games NOW. That's the operative word. While other guys out there via Free Agency weren't Tom Brady or Drew Brees, they have experience, physical tools, and have had some level of success. At the very least many of them have won big games in college and some in the NFL. It's obviously not a good situation, but I'd rather have a guy back there that's demonstrated some success and tools that rolling out a complete unknown.

The argument that feel is incorrect is when some posters are confusing potential with ability to play now. People are correct in saying that most of these Vets have shown their ceiling and it's not that sweet. But at least you know what you are getting and you are not signing Brady Quinn to be the savior of the franchise. You are signing him because he's been in the league for years, started games, has a pretty good arm, knows how to read a defense better than a rookie who has never taken an NFL snap, and can step in and hopefully manage the game for a couple weeks. Tuel played in a single-read spread offense in college. That's night and day compared to the NFL.

The reason why it's frustrating is because I do believe that is the minute Kolb went down the FO went out and picked up someone as a backup, he would have been prepared to step in during the Cleveland game.

Thank you for articulating my points better then I did. Tuel was known to have limited progressive reads in College.

My take is Marrone is taking some big chances with some of his options QB, O line. Perhaps he could have gotten away with decisions like Jeff Tuel as a backup QB or a starter like LG Colin Brown while as the HC at Syracuse. This is the NFL and according to ex Falcon HC Jerry Glanville that stands for Not For Long if you don't win.

I like Doug Marrone and really, really want him to succeed in the NFL. I want him to win games, and become a top head coach. Up until this KC game I was repeatedly defending him and Nate Hackett in thread after thread the first 7 games.

This game was decidedly different for me because Marrone / Hackett should have been more aware of Tuel's limitations, and should have called the game in a more conservative manner while allowing his QB limited options. Like it or not, that is my opinion.

I fear Nathaniel Hackett is going to get Doug Marrone fired this year because of some really stupid play calling if the team fails to win several of the up coming games against lesser opponents.2-6 Steelers, 2-6 Falcons,0-8 Bucs, 0-8 Jags all look like winnable games, and the Bills could actually finish the season with a winning record. Even clueless Jauron managed 7 wins.

In summation to the OP. No, don't cut Tuel. leave him as the 3rd string QB and hope he doesn't need to play again this season. Keep the offense simple for EJ & Lewis and depend more on the run game / defense this year.

Edited by FeartheLosing

STOP IT WITH YOUR FACTS

The TD pass, which was really nice, actually went 39 yards in the air. He threw the pass from the Bills 35 and MGoodwin caught it at the Chiefs 26.

I wouldn't call inflating a statistic by almost 50%, facts. (for the mathematically challenged, going from 40 to 60 is a 50% increase).

Speaking of 50%, I would bet that about 50% of the people on this board could throw a ball 39 yards.

The TD pass, which was really nice, actually went 39 yards in the air. He threw the pass from the Bills 35 and MGoodwin caught it at the Chiefs 26.

I wouldn't call inflating a statistic by almost 50%, facts. (for the mathematically challenged, going from 40 to 60 is a 50% increase).

Speaking of 50%, I would bet that about 50% of the people on this board could throw a ball 39 yards.

You are correct. My math stinks.

There are very few throws of 40 or more yards that is required of an NFL QB during the course of a season.

For those wondering if they were capable of throwing a football 40 yards, think of a catcher's throw to 2nd base.