Hamza Abdullah is fighting angry with the NFL

NoSaint

What does religion matter here? The fact of the matter is the NFL is a multi-billion dollar entity not paying for the medical bills of the players that have built the game into the success that it is today. What other multi-billion dollar entity does so little to take care of its retirees?

How much more should the NFL charge it's fans to pay for what the retirees want?

Don't you think he went a little beyond voicing and opinion? What other religion would it be acceptable to talk like that?

Yeah. It was a twitter fatwa. :rolleyes:

He lost me at "slaves." Slaves don't have agents. You chose to play football. You could just as easily have chosen not to.

Yeah. It was a twitter fatwa. :rolleyes:

He lost me at "slaves." Slaves don't have agents. You chose to play football. You could just as easily have chosen not to.

In fact, he did. He walked away for a pilgrimage to Mecca. I suspect he would play again in a minute. The slave stuff was ridiculous.

I get being upset about medical treatment (or lack there of) but his rant was pretty all over the place and his main thrust lost a lot of credibility due to it.

In fact, he did. He walked away for a pilgrimage to Mecca. I suspect he would play again in a minute. The slave stuff was ridiculous.

I get being upset about medical treatment (or lack there of) but his rant was pretty all over the place and his main thrust lost a lot of credibility due to it.

I thought it gained a lot of credibility in demonstrating the correlation between playing football and brain damage.

In spite of the public opinion that the players lost in the last CBA, there were major gains made for the players in numerous areas having to do with player safety, player health, and the reduction of the amount of time that NFL players are required to spend at the team facilities. There were also major improvements in their health care, both during and after their careers end.

In addition, the league and players are close to a settlement on the concussion lawsuits.

The league has even increased benefits to earlier generations of players.

I have long advocated for better working conditions for NFL players: they have the shortest careers of all North American professional athletes, they have the highest risk for playing and post-playing chronic and acute injuries, they have the highest risk for catastrophic injuries, and unlike their counterparts in other sports, their contracts are not fully guaranteed.

That said, working conditions for NFL players has never been better than they are right now.

Hopefully they continue to improve.

To the player in question:

1) No one had a gun to your head forcing you to play in the NFL

2) Yet you played in 47 games during an 8-year career in which you had 88 tackles.

While I believe that certain generations of players was exploited and toiled in an unjust system, I don't believe that to be the case with Abdullah and his generation of players.

I don't think his religion has anything to do with it. The post I replied to implied that he was being judged because of religious beliefs. My point was he wasn't. And if he was wouldn't it be disparaging to talk like that? Wouldn't that be the judgment if he was being judged by it? You took my post wrong, who cares what you think, it's called freedom of speech. So it's only freedom of speech if you agree.

1. What you wrote there was very easy to misinterpret.

2. The freedom of speech includes my freedom to disagree, criticize or ignore what you say, as well. Especially when it is written in a way that sounds so wrong.

How much more should the NFL charge it's fans to pay for what the retirees want?

Ha. Considering the vast majority of the income from the league is from the TV contracts. They could do this without eating at the consumer while restricting the astronomical rise in current player salaries as well.

You hear stories of the old timers from the 60's and 70's who had to work in the offseason and can't get the NFL to cover a hip-replacement now as they are living off of the retirement money from their second jobs if they were lucky enough. The NFL owes it to their retirees. Good for Hamza for putting up an internet shitfit

1. What you wrote there was very easy to misinterpret.

2. The freedom of speech includes my freedom to disagree, criticize or ignore what you say, as well. Especially when it is written in a way that sounds so wrong.

1) How do you think this kind of tweet from a Christian would be taken? Thank you Jesus for my family. I have to pay $120 a week to save my f-ing life. Peace be upon you. The NFL is driving us to kill ourselves. Praise you Jesus. FU NFL for slave trade. ?? I'm just saying freedom of speech is criticized differently depending on what your religion is. If Tebow tweeted the example above he'd get maligned for it and he should and most wouldn't be saying what does his religion have to do with it.

Ha. Considering the vast majority of the income from the league is from the TV contracts. They could do this without eating at the consumer while restricting the astronomical rise in current player salaries as well.

You hear stories of the old timers from the 60's and 70's who had to work in the offseason and can't get the NFL to cover a hip-replacement now as they are living off of the retirement money from their second jobs if they were lucky enough. The NFL owes it to their retirees. Good for Hamza for putting up an internet shitfit

Well I agree that they "could" pay this out without effecting the consumer but that's not what happens. It always gets passed down to us. So in theory it sounds great but you never get to the rich. What Hamza is indirectly saying is I want all of you to pay for my medical bills.

I don't know how many Muslims are on this board but I'm born and raised in this religion (Islam) and even though I agree that he's voicing his opinion on Twitter about the NFL, a man who's been to Mecca for Haj (and I haven't researched that fact, I'm just going by what the OP said), should be holier and more at peace with his thoughts and shouldn't voice his opinion in that form of anger.

Your message can be heard louder and clearer if you tone it down and speak from the heart.