Jets rookie whines about Pats*

That article bases the entire argument on one stat only, actual number of flags thrown for roughing the passer.

So much more goes into it, such as calling or not calling holding calls on the offensive line. If say Brady's

and Peyton's lines are allowed to hold more, give illegal shots to the face and helmet, and generally get away

with more, then fewer defenders are going to be getting to the QB on a consistent basis, therefore the lower

the oportunities to get a roughing the passer call. So, that stat does not even come close to telling the full story

of the gripes about protecting star QBs (particularly Brady).

As the Jets player said, you can't ignore that the NFL did instate the below the knee rule right after Brady is out

for a season due to a knee injury. And yet when Wilfork nailed JP in the knee on purpose, he doesn't even get a flag.

I stopped watching the NBA about 10 years ago because of the star treatment and unbalanced calls. And I hate

seeing the NFL go in that direction, but it does look that way despite the apologists.

I think for the most part the officiating in the NFL is pretty good, even in most Bills games. But one or two calls a game

can make a huge difference in a game or season. Say a star team is down in the 4th quarter, they have a 3rd down that

if they don't convert they may lose. A lineman gets away with a blatant hold that the announcers don't even comment on

and the QB completes an 11 yard pass to continue the drive. They may not score and still lose the game, but they're given

that one extra opportunity. Even one missed or bogus call a game or every other game over the course of a season may

allow a team to pull out a few extra wins.

You can see that type of thing every Sunday, especially for the star QBs and star teams. It's not blatant, but its pervasive.

No doubt those guys (Brady/Manning types) win because they're damn good and future HOFs but they and they're teams

definitely get the benefit of the doubt more often than other teams/players. And they do get more protection than non-household

name QBs.

I don't think i have ever agreed with a post as much as I agree with this one, Well stated Folz!

BigPappy

Oh, you mean the Carson Palmer rule? BTW I stopped reading at the bold, you can't argue with somebody who can't get simple facts right.

My bad...you're right, the hitting a QB below the knees rule was created after Carson Palmer's injury. And then the rule was clarified after

Brady's injury to not allow a player on the ground, who wasn't blocked, to lunge at the QB below the knees (what some in the media were calling the Brady rule).

http://www.boston.co...nees/?page=full

I was wrong. But that doesn't discount everything else I said. And at the time the original rule was instated, a lot of people we're calling it the Palmer Rule

and saying it was because he was a "star" QB...so it's kind of the same thing anyhow.

http://answers.yahoo...15154143AAInZ81

Obviously our perceptions differ on this issue, I feel there is some bias and you do not. That is fine, but if

you stopped listening to everyone who ever made a mistake, you'd soon find yourself in a very quiet world.

Edited by folz

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/10/13/4835644/saints-patriots-2013-referees-holding-tom-brady-junior-galette

Check out the video of the blatant textbook hold by the Cheats* that wasn't called last week on the Brady TD. One of many similar we've all seen over the years....

BTW--I'd love to hear Drop Kick's excuse for that one....

Hey, Drop Kick--still waiting to hear your excuse for this game changing call that gave the Pats* a win (one of many such garbage calls over the years)....

Reffs don't catch everything, reffs missed calls that allowed the Saints to score. It goes both ways.

Are you kidding me? The winning play? That is called 100% of the time! I first opened the link thinking it was going to be borderline... That is incredible! I honestly wanted to give them the benny of doubt, then I saw that... It was the winning play!

The refs didn't miss it. That is the back judge's sole job to look for holding... He didn't miss it! That's called 100% of the time!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Are you kidding me? The winning play? That is called 100% of the time! I first opened the link thinking it was going to be borderline... That is incredible! I honestly wanted to give them the benny of doubt, then I saw that... It was the winning play!

The refs didn't miss it. That is the back judge's sole job to look for holding... He didn't miss it! That's called 100% of the time!

Yup--a Saints fan pointed out in a comment thread that there was a ref looking directly at it, too. As we know from our own experiences with the Cheaters* that's just bid'ness as usual for them. I was laughing my arse off at some of the Pats* fan board comments downplaying this, including several "fans" saying that this was legal 'because they'd seen it done many times before without being called' You can't make this stuff up.

All of you saying that all star QB's get this treatment, I have to disagree--it's mainly one team, IMHO.....

It isn't called 100% of the time, because that happens to Chandler Jones at least one a game without getting called.

Link please, and to a game changing call. We all know those only go one way in Cheats* games. Want me to link to a bunch more screenshots of non-calls against Cheat* linemen vs the Bengals (you know, the game where the Cheats* weren't whistled once)?

Yup--a Saints fan pointed out in a comment thread that there was a ref looking directly at it, too. As we know from our own experiences with the Cheaters* that's just bid'ness as usual for them. I was laughing my arse off at some of the Pats* fan board comments downplaying this, including several "fans" saying that this was legal 'because they'd seen it done many times before without being called' You can't make this stuff up.

All of you saying that all star QB's get this treatment, I have to disagree--it's mainly one team, IMHO.....

Link please, and to a game changing call. We all know those only go one way in Cheats* games. Want me to link to a bunch more screenshots of non-calls against Cheat* linemen vs the Bengals (you know, the game where the Cheats* weren't whistled once)?

Glad they got cameras all over the place... Analyse every inch of the game, digitize it on down to video games. Too funny if this gets to be a bug/glitch in Madden 2014! LoL Somebody write EA Sports! LoL

It isn't called 100% of the time, because that happens to Chandler Jones at least one a game without getting called.

LoL! Yeah... On the winning play. You gotta be kidding. This is called 100% of the time. The refs didn't miss it, this is the back judges SOLE job. Now you are saying they are reffing games like the NHL. You gotta be kidding.

Honestly, I was prepared to write this off before I opened that link. I was thinking it was some whiny Saints fans getting ticky tacky... I almost fell off my chair when I seen it!

Just give it to them! LoL

I think today's game should clearly show the Pats were not receiving preferential treatment from refs, in fact, the case can be made for quite the opposite.

There's a first time for everything! Just think, only 20-30 more such losses and karma will be about even!

I also disagree with your premise--the call against the Cheats* today was apparently a "good call" in the sense that the infraction called was a textbook example of the penalty in question. The fact that it's not consistently called perhaps is a different story than, say, missing a blatant penalty to let the Cheats* win a game (ie, a truly bad/missed no call). Have fun stewing this week!

I think today's game should clearly show the Pats were not receiving preferential treatment from refs, in fact, the case can be made for quite the opposite.

Of course! I had this argument w/somebody @ work. CYA this week!

Pats* should be on a 3 game skid if everything is on the up and up! The League tried desparately for them to win against Cincy by not calling a penalty all day for them that game. Cincy wouldn't play dead and mother nature in Ohio wasn't playing Pats* ball too! Then last week against the Saints! This game against big market Jets was the "come clean" game... The League's hand was forced to call it straight!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois