Biggest Fantasy Draft Regrets of 2013

Johnny Hammersticks

Usually around this time of year I look over my fantasy football draft recap and evaluate how I did. I usually draft pretty well, and seem to get good value in the later rounds. Every year, however, I always seem to make at least one or two "WTF was I thinking" picks.

This year I took Marques Colston 5 picks ahead of both Dez Bryant and Wes Welker (who went back to back) in the 3rd round. WTF?!?!?

After picking Arian Foster in the 1st round, I took Steven Jackson 2 picks ahead of Peyton Manning in the 2nd WTF?!?!?!

What are some of your 2013 fantasy draft "flubs?"

I kind of already went on a diatribe about this in another thread....but the worst draft day decision I ever made, ever was this year, when I was bent on getting one of the "can't miss" QBs in the draft. We have a 12 team snake draft...so, I had picks 12 & 13...by that time, there was crap left for legit running backs...only two guys left that were undisputed #1's on their teams (two guys I did not want to take, but was kind of forced to) were Ray Rice & Chris Johnson. So, when my next picks rolled around at 24 & 25, I was determined to get the best QB left (our league has high value on QB's) and the best WR...here is where I !@#$ed up royally:

The only two "can't miss" QB's left were Peyton and Tom Brady. The only receiver left, that I had ranked as an upper tier guy, was Wes Welker...all of the sudden, the voice of Matthew Berry screamed at me "you don't want your #1 QB, #1 RB, or #1 WR to be from the same team..." I found this bit of advise less than sound when I heard it (especially IRT QB & WR), but I out thunk myself.

Seeing as I knew I was taking Welker, I took Brady as my QB. I had some concern about Manning's health (at the time there was some "whispers" that he seemed to have lost something on the deep ball), but I had much bigger concerns about Brady and the lack of talent around him. I listened to Matthew Berry instead of myself, and took Brady...I fell into the whole Belichik, Brady, they always get it done..., well, to a degree that is still true (Pats are 5-1).... :wallbash:

I don't think I need to tell anyone that Brady is having a terrible FF year (EJ my drafted back-up had more points on the season before he got hurt, his replacement Terrelle Pryor is neck and neck), but Manning is having a monster season...I really !@#$ed up.

I went back and looked at the scores in my league so far...I would be 5-1 by simply trading Manning for Brady each week...and I have little doubt that the person who drafted Manning would have taken Brady if that what was left to them. That person is 6-0...I am just about dead at 2-4. Trade QB's, I am 5-1, they are 2-4.

This is like the FF equivalent of the Colts getting cute, and drafting Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning back in 1998...imagine how different the NFL would have been the last 15 years or so...

Edited by Buftex

Monte Ball over Gio. Oops. Almost timed out. Could not decide. Fail.

Otherwise don't think team sucking is my fault. Won't bore you with details but let's just say I was relieved this morning to see that my Brandon Jacobs waiver claim was successful - probably not a good sign.

OP Dez in 3rd round - wtf? He was like the unanimous #2wr.

OP Dez in 3rd round - wtf? He was like the unanimous #2wr.

Yeah, 10 team league. 10 RB's went in the first round, with the 1st non-RB (Rodgers) going at #11. In the 2nd round there was a run on QB's, top tier WR's, Jimmy Graham, and a couple more RB's. There were some really good WR's left early in the 3rd and I chose Colston. Thought for sure he was going to have a huge year, but should have picked Dez or Wes.

Dwayne Bowe. Why is this guy considered anything but a 4th rate WR? He has two huge games a year and otherwise is absolutely useless.

Seriously!! I got Bowe in like the 6th or 7th round and I thought I got a steal. I figured he would be "re-born" in Andy Reid's offense, and would be putting up gaudy numbers. Boy, was I wrong. Alex Smith seems incapable of stretching the field, and thus, is not able to capitalize on Bowe's strength as a big-bodied vertical threat. I just dropped him this week to pick up a bye week replacement defense.

Dwayne Bowe. Why is this guy considered anything but a 4th rate WR? He has two huge games a year and otherwise is absolutely useless.

Seriously!! I got Bowe in like the 6th or 7th round and I thought I got a steal. I figured he would be "re-born" in Andy Reid's offense, and would be putting up gaudy numbers. Boy, was I wrong. Alex Smith seems incapable of stretching the field, and thus, is not able to capitalize on Bowe's strength as a big-bodied vertical threat. I just dropped him this week to pick up a bye week replacement defense.

Me too! I ended up trading Bowe for Eli Manning after watching the Chiefs play.

I think Donnie Avery has at least as much value as Bowe!

Me too! I ended up trading Bowe for Eli Manning after watching the Chiefs play.

I think Donnie Avery has at least as much value as Bowe!

I actuallt don't fault Bowe for his lack of production this season. I fault Andy Reid's offense, and Alex Smith's inability to stretch the field. Bowe was much better off last year with Matt Cassell.

I actuallt don't fault Bowe for his lack of production this season. I fault Andy Reid's offense, and Alex Smith's inability to stretch the field. Bowe was much better off last year with Matt Cassell.

I completely agree, except I think it's Smith's fault, not Reid's. Smith just will not throw the ball to a receiver that looks covered when he makes the throw. Bowe's bread-and-butter is to out-muscle his opponent and make the catch. Smith will keep throwing to Avery because the speedster is open,

Kansas City's franchise QB is not yet on the roster.

Drafting Spiller 10th overall when I could have drafted Calvin Johnson, Alfred Morris, Matt Forte, AJ Green

I did draft Fred Jackson later in the draft so it didnt turn out that bad

If it makes you feel any better, although I had the last pick (#12) in the draft, I was fully prepared to take CJ Spiller with the #1 pick if I had gotten it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.