What Is Your Take On Head Coaching – Which Approach Is Best?

PolishDave

Let’s consider these two different styles of coaching:

1) A coach who devises a scheme and tries to acquire players that fit into it and coach them on how to execute it to the best of their ability.

Or

2) A coach who devises a scheme based on the players and talent areas he already has on the team.

I think most coaches in the NFL (especially new coaches) are in the first camp where they dream up the perfect plays on paper and then try to get their team to execute it.

But, my intuition tells me that the better approach would be to have a coach who fits the second category more.

I think Marv Levy was more of the second type. And I think Wade Phillips was more type 2 also.

Do you think it matters all that much or not which of those camps they fall into?

1) A coach who devises a scheme and tries to acquire players that fit into it and coach them on how to execute it to the best of their ability.

Or

2) A coach who devises a scheme based on the players and talent areas he already has on the team.

I think most coaches in the NFL (especially new coaches) are in the first camp where they dream up the perfect plays on paper and then try to get their team to execute it.

But, my intuition tells me that the better approach would be to have a coach who fits the second category more.

I think Marv Levy was more of the second type. And I think Wade Phillips was more type 2 also.

Do you think it matters all that much or not which of those camps they fall into?

Type 2. All sports.

It's not either or. Great coaches do both. Have schemes and principles on how to do it, and try to get talent that fits it. As you see what you really have in players and as Rosters evolve, you morph to capitalize on strengths and protect your weaknesses.

For strict #1s, you miss out on mismatches and fail to maximize talent that materializes out of your system. Also key injuries can destroy your scheme. (Dick Jaurons problem) these coaches are always the 1 or 2 good players at position X away from getting over the top.

For strict 2s you look like you have no plan and end up with a bunch of really good pieces that don't work we'll together. Mike Singletary come to mind.

Any coach that has been too religiously devoted to one approach or the other has a big glaring blind spot that will ultimately prohibit ascending to the top.

Or

Pettine definitely belongs to the 2nd category. I think Wade Phillips is more of the first type. He really needs a good/great NT to make his scheme work. His scheme worked when he had Ted Washington and Pat Williams, but does not have the same success in Houston (or Dallas prior to that).

Marv was a head coach and really doesn't have a specific philosophy other than being a good motivator.