Dustin Hopkins

ny33

The fact that Hopkins wasn't IRed weeks ago, after Carpenter showed competence for several weeks, is a massive indictment of management. Only the Bills would carry two kickers five weeks into the season and fail to have a veteran backup for our first round QB. Only the Bills would have Tuel as the #2 QB on the roster; he should be the third behind EJ and a vet.

There are plenty of teams around the league that would be in similar situations as us if their starting QB were to get injured.

Those teams would either have a veteran backup, three QBs on the roster, or an early draft pick with an NFL arm as a backup. NO team would carry an injured kicker five weeks on the roster when the starting kicker has been excellent. It's crazy.

The Patriots come to mind.

The Pats have Mallett, who has an arm and is a veteran. Tuel wasn't ready to play. There is no reason to have had a roster spot used for an injured kicker instead of a third QB.

Tuel and Hopkins are both wasted roster spots. Don't get me wrong I've liked most of what the organization has done.

Hindsight is 20/20 but they should have kept Taveres and practice squaded tuel.

I would have been o.k. with Tuel as the third QB, but the fact that he was the only backup and that we have had two kickers on the roster for five weeks is complete mismanagement. Very few franchises are run this poorly.

There are plenty of teams around the league that would be in similar situations as us if their starting QB were to get injured.

really? plenty of teams with a rookie QB starting and an undrafted rookie as the 2nd QB ?

The Saints have carried two kickers a lot the last few years bc Hartley just can't seem to stay healthy

The plan was for Carpenter to kick a few weeks before being replaced by Hopkins but with way he is kicking I fully expect Hopkins to get IR'd

Its funny how everyone is down on Tuel when a lot of ppl on this board thought he should start and didn't think Bills needed a vet backup bc of him. Let's not get too down on him though, he got thrown into a game on the road that he prob didn't get much practice time for.

In saying all that it was beyond dumb to go into the season with just two rookie QBs on the roster

Edited by Max997

I would have been o.k. with Tuel as the third QB, but the fact that he was the only backup and that we have had two kickers on the roster for five weeks is complete mismanagement. Very few franchises are run this poorly.

No doubt about it. Thing is I haven't seen a lot of Hopkins but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that carpenter is better anyways.

Why wouldn't they just shelf this guy till next year.

The Saints have carried two kickers a lot the last few years bc Hartley just can't seem to stay healthy

The plan was for Carpenter to kick a few weeks before being replaced by Hopkins but with way he is kicking I fully expect Hopkins to get IR'd

Its funny how everyone is down on Tuel when a lot of ppl on this board thought he should start and didn't think Bills needed a vet backup bc of him. Let's not get too down on him though, he got thrown into a game on the road that he prob didn't get much practice time for.

In saying all that it was beyond dumb to go into the season with just two rookie QBs on the roster

I don't have a problem with Tuel being on the roster- I have a problem with, as you said, "going into the season with just two rookie QBs on the roster," especially when a roster spot is being used for a second kicker instead of compensating for injuries to other positions.

You can't IR a player who doesn't actually have a major injury.

You can, and teams do so all the time. Any injury keeping a player out for five weeks is long enough for a team to claim that the player would need the recovery time.

The Pats have Mallett, who has an arm and is a veteran. Tuel wasn't ready to play. There is no reason to have had a roster spot used for an injured kicker instead of a third QB.

Mallett's arm and years in the league don't mean much. If the Pats have to rely on him, they're done.

Mallet has barely seen enough playing time to call him a veteran.

really? plenty of teams with a rookie QB starting and an undrafted rookie as the 2nd QB ?

Denver: Osweiler

Saints: McCown

Giants: Painter

Ravens (only have two QB's): Tyrod Tayler - 3 NFL seasons - 18 completions

Falcons (only two QB's): Dominque Davis - 1 NFL season - 0 completions, 0 attempts

Packers (2 QB's): Senca Wallace

Chargers: Whitehurst.

Mallett's arm and years in the league don't mean much. If the Pats have to rely on him, they're done.

Sure- of course going from Brady, Rodgers, Brees, or Manning to their backups would render them done- but that doesn't change the fact that we should have had a third, veteran QB as a backup.

Mallet has barely seen enough playing time to call him a veteran.

Denver: Osweiler

Saints: McCown

Giants: Painter

Ravens (only have two QB's): Tyrod Tayler - 3 NFL seasons - 18 completions

Falcons (only two QB's): Dominque Davis - 1 NFL season - 0 completions, 0 attempts

Packers (2 QB's): Senca Wallace

Chargers: Whitehurst.

There's a massive difference between those players and the UDFA in Jeff Tuel backing up our rookie QB. Never mind the fact that Tuel was mediocre in college and has a weak arm. Some of those teams are carrying three QBs, fyi. No other team has ever carried in an UDFA or late round rookie as their only backup to a rookie QB. That's not to mention the tutoring component of having a veteran backup to EJ. It's embarrassing.

There's a massive difference between those players and the UDFA in Jeff Tuel backing up our rookie QB. Never mind the fact that Tuel was mediocre in college and has a weak arm. Some of those teams are carrying three QBs, fyi. No other team has ever carried in an UDFA or late round rookie as their only backup to a rookie QB. That's not to mention the tutoring component of having a veteran backup to EJ. It's embarrassing.

Taylor and Davis. Meh... Both of those teams could win their division. Losing Falco or Ryan would cost them major wins and likely a playoff seat. That holds more grav0tiy to the situation then the rebuilding Bills.

Taylor and Davis. Meh... Both of those teams could win their division. Losing Falco or Ryan would cost them major wins and likely a playoff seat. That holds more grav0tiy to the situation then the rebuilding Bills.

I'm not disputing that, but E.J. and the rookies would have benefitted from having a solid QB backup to tutor him and Tuel, and come in in case of injury. We need Woods, Goodwin, and Graham to get targets and catches. We should have emulated the Redskins and drafted a mid-round rookie backup, or had a veteran option like the Seahawks did for Wilson last year.

Edited by ny33