Hot Route Question for Xs and Os Gurus

Chilly

for some reason our Coaching staff has a man crush on TJ Graham...They keep trying to get him involved and force things to him. The problem with this is that he is bad a t football. Wasn't that good in college, hasnt done anythign on special teams, invisible in the preseason, and somehow has become our #2 wide out. He must have naked pictures of someones wife or his holding their children for ransom.

Except he's been (surprisingly) getting open... and hasn't had more than one catchable ball thrown his way.

I'm not a Graham fan either. But he's been getting past his man and Manuel either hasn't hit him or seen him.

Edited by JM57

Except he's been (surprisingly) getting open... and hasn't had more than one catchable ball thrown his way.

I'm not a Graham fan either. But he's been getting past his man and Manuel either hasn't hit him or seen him.

It gets under my skin seeing TJ Graham beat his coverage time and time again on his routes. I look at the play in real time and think, "wow, he's open!"

But, then when I look back at it I look at his route and wonder "wtf is that route?!" He will run a 12 yard post on a 3rd and 2. He will run a flare on a 1st and 10. It seems the coaching staff just likes to have him run and run and divert attention. On many other teams this would be failure time and time again but we have SJ13 who can catch the ball in traffic and is very good.

The best thing this coaching staff can do - X's and O's wise - is get TJ Graham running 5 and 8 yard routes in the middle of the field like David Nelson did. After setting up a defense with this speedster in the middle you can have him run seam routes. He doesn't have the size to beat defenses physically but he has the speed to get past the coverage, even over the top safeties. Early on Graham will be able playing in the middle and that is when you run Woods long and get him playing the true wideout routes.

for some reason our Coaching staff has a man crush on TJ Graham...They keep trying to get him involved and force things to him. The problem with this is that he is bad a t football. Wasn't that good in college, hasnt done anythign on special teams, invisible in the preseason, and somehow has become our #2 wide out. He must have naked pictures of someones wife or his holding their children for ransom.

That is as logical saying you hate him because he keeps laughing at pictures of your package you keeping sending him! :nana:

I am really starting to question Hacketts and Marrones coaching ability

I can understand growing pains but I haven't seem a shred of good coaching or play calling in their part

Edited by Max997

Disagree.

It was clear to me from that game that EJ was being coached to throw the sideline streak every time the Jets went into "cover zero" or one deep safety. I mean he did it every single time. It must've been coaching, and it was bad coaching, because the middle was wide open.

The same "bad coaching" had Spiller trying to pound it up the gut when the Jests were reading it every time. it was 100% fruitless, yet they REFUSED to stop trying it!

-Hate to throw the "I" word out so early in this regime, but it sure looked like incompetence to me. -GROSS incompetence, if I'm honest... Forget about what us fans see, it's unfair to a rookie QB to be placed in that position.

What good is having the best QB in the draft, if the guy calling plays fundamentally doesn't understand offense?

Edited by #34fan

Like many have posted. Sticks, seams, slants, and comebacks are his forte. For now. The deep out is still up for debate and the long ball needs work. Hackett has to help him but in the end EJ has to make whatever throw is called. Either that or evolve beyond your coaching. Plenty to ask from a guy in his 4th NFL game.

To summarize: it's never a simple fix, but what is needed to improve . . .

1. Better play calling, scheming, and coaching in general
  2. More accuracy from the QB
  3. The line has to improve protection, you cannot give up 8 sacks and expect the offense to run well
  4. The running game has to get better
  5. Wide Receivers (one in particular) need to get better in all ways

And despite all theses issues, the Bills have been in all three games.

FIx them--and the Defense is helped---and wins are a real possibility.

Take a look at snaps and targets. R. Woods actually leads the Bills WR's in offensive snaps. He's been on the field for 97% of the them. SJ is next at 96%. TJ has been on the field for only 78% of the snaps.

As for targets SJ has been targeted 29 times, Woods 18, and TJ 9. Yeah, that's 3 targets per game.

TJ is not the #2 WR and he's not that involved in the offense. Chandler, F. Jackson and Spiller are all more involved in the passing game as well. My point is that people love to overstate these things. The Bills realize that he's not that great which is why they don't involve him that much.