RE watched/studied bills/jets- EJ n CJ not so bad

enlightener

I replayed some key plays over and over and saw the following... 1. Plays where all 4 receivers ran a 5 yard hook, DBs and WRs alike stood there looking at EJ with no deep route, no crossing pattern. this is pathetic I watched EJ smartly hold it and try to avoid a sack but whats he supposed to do? no wonder he had 8 sacks, I blame the OC not designing plays with outlets. Secondly, the passes out of bounds were EJs fault but whys that the only outlet pass? those are low percentage plays to begin with. 3. CJ- he was given no running room, bad run blocking (besides Brown) I saw Wood do little and Glenn miss blocks, the whole idea of shotgun sweep plays is a joke, those rarely work but even worse when that's your only run play. The fumbles are still on Spiller and his last name is becoming his trademark. GIVE HIM SOME SCREENS AND DRAWS HACKETT!!!! why is it every year there is one coach/player that absolutely holds us back from success? Rob Johnson, Gilbride, Trent, Wanstadt/G.Edwards and this years candidate.... Hackett. One more side note, as bad as EJ and CJ looked, look how good McKelvin and the linebackers look with a new D coordinator. If the former bust McKelvin can be successful with a good DC, maybe its why EJ and CJ look so bad this year.

Edited by enlightener

I don't want to say too much and it be considered as crusading, but I'm a bit confused how only 2 of the 5 out of bounds throws were EJ's fault. But I'm going to leave it at that and exit this thread.

its point # two ---see the point after the 2? I cant space out or put breaks in my posts for some reason.

Edited by enlightener

I replayed some key plays over and over and saw the following... 1. Plays where all 4 receivers ran a 5 yard hook, DBs and WRs alike stood there looking at EJ with no deep route, no crossing pattern. this is pathetic I watched EJ smartly hold it and try to avoid a sack but whats he supposed to do? no wonder he had 8 sacks, I blame the OC not designing plays with outlets. 2. passes out of bounds were EJs fault but whys that the only outlet pass? those are low percentage plays to begin with. 3. CJ- he was given no running room, bad run blocking (besides Brown) I saw Wood do little and Glenn miss blocks, the whole idea of shotgun sweep plays is a joke, those rarely work but even worse when that's your only run play. The fumbles are still on Spiller and his last name is becoming his trademark. GIVE HIM SOME SCREENS AND DRAWS HACKETT!!!! why is it every year there is one coach/player that absolutely holds us back from success? Rob Johnson, Gilbride, Trent, Wanstadt/G.Edwards and this years candidate.... Hackett. One more side note, as bad as EJ and CJ looked, look how good McKelvin and the linebackers look with a new D coordinator. If the former bust McKelvin can be successful with a good DC, maybe its why EJ and CJ look so bad this year.

I agree that Hackett seems to be in over his head. Let's hope he's smart and a fast learner. Maybe he will learn and get better along with Manuel. We can only hope.

I think many of our concerns are coming to fruition: Hacket does appear over his head. I hope the plays are simple so the rookie QB can make fewer mistakes, and not due to inexperience at OC.

Either way, that game, especially our offensive playcalling and inability to hit the fly route, was unwatchable.

I can watch McCoy run the same plays no problem. Spiller is back to happy feet if you watch him play.

You're right.

But yesterday was not CJ's fault. The offensive line just couldn't create any holes for him.

And sure, play-calling was very much to blame for that as well.

Edited by microscopes

You're right.

But yesterday was not CJ's fault.

And play-calling was very much to blame.

LOL, LOL, LOL....I knew you couldn't just leave the thread alone. You said you were exiting the thread and suddenly appear. I'm ok with that mind you, you are now free to walk about the thread.

I can watch McCoy run the same plays no problem. Spiller is back to happy feet if you watch him play.

That's when coaching comes into play. Screens, line him up as a wr, direct snap, the freaking wildcat. The point is switch the damn play. This is not tecmo bowl. We have more than 2 running plays...

Ps. You cant compare the two. It's like Reggie Bush. He's explosive in space. RB like Cj are not power backs.

You realize I replied and talked about SPILLER, right?

"But I'm going to leave it at that and exit this thread"...but then you decided to edit the post and come back in with CJ. Plus the initial " :huh:" was somewhat perplexing since I knew what the OP was talking about. Just made me chuckle.

That's when coaching comes into play. Screens, line him up as a wr, direct snap, the freaking wildcat. The point is switch the damn play. This is not tecmo bowl. We have more than 2 running plays...

Ps. You cant compare the two. It's like Reggie Bush. He's explosive in space. RB like Cj are not power backs.

I only can't compare them b.c you don't want me to. Don't you think they have a reason they are not doing screens? Just like the reason they weren't going down field but you wanted them to throw it and look how that turned out.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

I replayed some key plays over and over and saw the following... 1. Plays where all 4 receivers ran a 5 yard hook, DBs and WRs alike stood there looking at EJ with no deep route, no crossing pattern. this is pathetic I watched EJ smartly hold it and try to avoid a sack but whats he supposed to do? no wonder he had 8 sacks, I blame the OC not designing plays with outlets. 2. passes out of bounds were EJs fault but whys that the only outlet pass? those are low percentage plays to begin with. 3. CJ- he was given no running room, bad run blocking (besides Brown) I saw Wood do little and Glenn miss blocks, the whole idea of shotgun sweep plays is a joke, those rarely work but even worse when that's your only run play. The fumbles are still on Spiller and his last name is becoming his trademark. GIVE HIM SOME SCREENS AND DRAWS HACKETT!!!! why is it every year there is one coach/player that absolutely holds us back from success? Rob Johnson, Gilbride, Trent, Wanstadt/G.Edwards and this years candidate.... Hackett. One more side note, as bad as EJ and CJ looked, look how good McKelvin and the linebackers look with a new D coordinator. If the former bust McKelvin can be successful with a good DC, maybe its why EJ and CJ look so bad this year.

EJ turned low percentage plays into 0% plays. 5 yards out of bounds isn't a tad over or underthrown, it's uncatchable. And that's a waste of a down.

Still like the kid, but you can't just say, "who cares they don't usually work anyway."

"But I'm going to leave it at that and exit this thread"...but then you decided to edit the post and come back in with CJ. Plus the initial " :huh:" was somewhat perplexing since I knew what the OP was talking about. Just made me chuckle.

I'm staying away from anything EJ related.

Just talking about Spiller.

Agree about Hackett. He's over his head. I hate to say it, but he needs to study some of last year's film of how Chan used CJ in getting him out into open spaces to move the ball down the field, as well as Chan's play-action & screen pass variations. That's my 2 cents, anyway. Go Bills!