The Bills defense so far

dave mcbride

After the Jets....yeah, the Jets rambled for about 130, the front 8 were in the box stopping the run, while the back end was getting shredded. Congrats. You make an excellent point. The Bills 2nd half run defense was wonderful. So wonderful it cost them the game.

How anyone could defend a defense that gave up 180 to a previously impotent running offense is beyond my abilities of optimism.

What the !@#$ does optimism have to do with this? It's a FACT. The Bills didn't "sell out" to stop the run -- jeezus. Lawson, Alonso, and Moats led the team in total tackles.

Edited by eball

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What the !@#$ does optimism have to do with this? It's a FACT. The Bills didn't "sell out" to stop the run -- jeezus. Lawson, Alonso, and Moats led the team in total tackles.

You see KW and Dareus and think they can affect the play consistently. You see this front 7 as talented. I'm sure you think they will help them win on Sunday. Some would call it optimism. I call it delusional. Watch the Ravens, whose offense struggled last week, run all over the Bills...with or without Ray Rice. I know...it will be because Dareus is dinged up and Carrington is out.

I like Lawson and Alonzo BTW.

You see KW and Dareus and think they can affect the play consistently. You see this front 7 as talented. I'm sure you think they will help them win on Sunday. Some would call it optimism. I call it delusional. Watch the Ravens, whose offense struggled last week, run all over the Bills...with or without Ray Rice. I know...it will be because Dareus is dinged up and Carrington is out.

I like Lawson and Alonzo BTW.

If the Ravens are able to use the running game to sustain scoring drives and the Bills can't get their D off the field, I will be the first to acknowledge it. So far in three games that has not happened to this defense; when they've failed it has been on the back end. I don't let raw stats take away from what I see on the field. Opponents' running statistics have largely been filler.

Looking ahead, it appears as though Carrington was the only injury that is significant, and Dareus, Mario, and McKelvin all have a good chance to play.

If the Ravens are able to use the running game to sustain scoring drives and the Bills can't get their D off the field, I will be the first to acknowledge it. So far in three games that has not happened to this defense; when they've failed it has been on the back end. I don't let raw stats take away from what I see on the field. Opponents' running statistics have largely been filler.

Looking ahead, it appears as though Carrington was the only injury that is significant, and Dareus, Mario, and McKelvin all have a good chance to play.

Well, I think that "filler" opens up the opponent's playbook and slows the pass rush, but that's me. I guess we'll just see. I'm guessing 400 plus yards against, 125 on the ground.

We are seeing 2 different things by the way. In the grand scheme of any defense, if you can't stop the run, I can't believe that's good. I don't think the Bills D can stop the run.

What am I saying? Call it what it is -- a defense decimated in the secondary that nonetheless stopped the Jets and got off the field so the offense could try to come back. Two of the three Jet TDs were quick strikes against an overmatched CB, and all of their scoring drives included a big play (40 yards+) in the passing game. THE RUN DEFENSE WAS FINE.

No one is arguing that the Bills D isn't decimated by injuries and that contributes to some of their problems. You're arguing that the run D isn't bad.

Do you honestly think the run D has nothing to do with the passing D? They're not connected in any way? Teams don't run to set up the pass and vise versa?

Also, you didn't answer my question at all. You are saying that those 180 yards are meaningless because, according to you, they had nothing to do with scoring drives. So, are you saying that:

1) The run D is bad but in this game it didn't seem to cost the Bills much.

2) The Bills sometimes don't try all the time to stop the run and just give the opposing team some big gains when they dont' think it will hurt them?

3) The BIlls D doesn't give full effort all the time?

It has to be one of these things for your argument to make any logical sense. Which is it?

My guess is you think it's number 1 and we just disagree on how much it effected this game but I'm not totally positive. They're giving up a lot of yards and a lot of yards per carry and I'm assuming they're trying their best to stop the team each and every play. If that's the case their run D is bad. That it didn't hurt them much this game doesn't negate the fact that it's bad they're just fortunate it didn't hurt them (and I do not believe that it didn't hurt them this game, I'm just trying to look at it from your perspective.)

Edited by MDH

No one is arguing that the Bills D isn't decimated by injuries and that contributes to some of their problems. You're arguing that the run D isn't bad.

Do you honestly think the run D has nothing to do with the passing D? They're not connected in any way? Teams don't run to set up the pass and vise versa?

Also, you didn't answer my question at all. You are saying that those 180 yards are meaningless because, according to you, they had nothing to do with scoring drives. So, are you saying that:

1) The run D is bad but in this game it didn't seem to cost the Bills much.

2) The Bills sometimes don't try all the time to stop the run and just give the opposing team some big gains when they dont' think it will hurt them?

3) The BIlls D doesn't give full effort all the time?

It has to be one of these things for your argument to make any logical sense. Which is it?

My guess is you think it's number 1 and we just disagree on how much it effected this game but I'm not totally positive. They're giving up a lot of yards and a lot of yards per carry and I'm assuming they're trying their best to stop the team each and every play. If that's the case their run D is bad. That it didn't hurt them much this game doesn't negate the fact that it's bad they're just fortunate it didn't hurt them (and I do not believe that it didn't hurt them this game, I'm just trying to look at it from your perspective.)

Well, since you've identified three--and only three--possibilities, then zero other possibilities exist.

@MDH -- it's really not that complicated and boils down to this. Opponents' "big" runs have been sporadic; they're not ripping off run after run, as we've seen all too recently. They're not sustaining drives through the running game, and the Bills aren't "selling out" with 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run. Of course there's interaction between the run game and pass game -- I'm not an idiot -- but I know what I'm seeing out there. The Bills' D kept them in all three of these games while the offense is trying to find itself. I don't care about the number of yards -- it's where and how those yards are earned. Yesterday was all about picking on #26, which is proven in the stats for the scoring drives.

the offense is the bigger problem. The secondary is depleted and they picked on it but the D is on the field far too long every game so far....1,2,3,punt...45 seconds gone, D back out there....thank god for commercial breaks.

Do I think the D looks good? No but I think the impact of this dumb no huddle plays a bigger part of the success of the opposing offenses against our D than many people want to admit.