I'm afraid Chan was right about Spiller

FireChan

That FG is why we won the game...so yes, what a playmaker

Colin Brown also gets credit for the win then too, right? He blocked for the run. Colin Brown won us the game? Why are we being so negative towards Colin, guys? He's a once-in-a-decade talent and when he bounces back next week, you'll all see! He looks like a future HoFer.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Freddy as much as anyone on this board, he is a true pro and one hell of a teammate... but to say Fred looked good and CJ was awful is short sighted and lazy. Fred had one great run and he also fumbled but was bailed out by one of the Jets 20 penalties.

Spiller essentially played a half and got 10 carries against a very good run D and I'd bet 8 of those carries were out of the shotgun/read option garbage. Its pointless when EJ never keeps the ball.

CJ is an elite back but we haven't game planned for his strengths this season. He's great in space, we all know this. So why less screens, counters, and tosses? AP is great with a fullback in front of him so what do the Vikings do? They put a damn fullback in front of him and let him do what he does.

Fact of the matter is until EJ proves he can beat man coverage and 8 man boxes Hackett is going to have to get creative on how he gets Spiller the ball on the perimeter. These shotgun dives are the equivalent of banging your head against the wall. Just my 2 cents...

Personally I think this Offensive scheme and play calling has as much to do with Spiller's poor results than anything...

But I do agree with the OP...In a way at least...I think more than the every-down thing with Spiller Chan realized there was a way to use Spiller, and a way NOT to use Spiller...Hackett is trying to use Spiller the way he would use any RB...That's why Freddie looks better in this Offense...Freddie is more of a conventional back who gets you the tough yards between the OT's...Spiller needs SPACE...But all too often the plays call for him to hit a clogged gap on the interior, and that is simply not CJ's game...Remember how little CJ saw the ball last year in short yardage after the goal-line fumble vs. NE?...

If I was Hackett I would go back to the drawing board on how to utilize Spiller...Pick out his favorite running plays and screens from last year and start working that stuff in starting this week...One thing is 100% certain...The read option look that has CJ taking the ball and running into a mass of humanity between the OG's and OT's is failing miserably...

Spiller is a different kind of RB...I still think there is no question he can carry the load...But not in the same way Adrian Peterson and other more conventional RB's do it...You have to be creative with the way you utilize CJ...Run a couple conventional running plays to keep the Defense honest...But mainly find ways to get him into space so he can do his thing...

Lastly...It does not help that Defenses are clearly concentrating on stopping Spiller...And they should...We have a Rookie QB who is unproven...This is Hackett's main dilemma...It's the Bills Offense that has mostly been thrown off by what the Defenses are doing to stop them...They are not doing much to keep the Defenses honest through a creative or effective game-plan...This is the problem with most NFL Offenses when you have a Rookie QB...And until Hackett can come up with a few wrinkles, especially on 1st down, it's going to be more of the same...Look at how effective those two simple FB passes were vs. Carolina...That's the kind of play that keeps Defenses honest, and gives your Rookie QB confidence...

Anyway... B-)

Seriously? What the hell was he thinking? Gailey, Pettine, and Fitz and we are 3-0. I liek EJ as the future but if we had Fitz and Gailey no doubt we are 3-0.

Oh not sure about that the jets defense did exactly what they would have vs Fitz. I think the score would have been more lopsided.

Last time I'm gonna comment on a theoretical fitz starting this year comment but really ? I can't say I agree

3-0 w fitz ? Fitz would have 8 Int's by now 0-3 is more like it. Are you forgetting the plays EJ made both vs pats and panthers ? I'll take EJ all day everyday personally.. SJ drop killed EJ's first win vs Brady.

Fitz stunk. It's why he backs up now....just as he did pre buffalo.

That FG is why we won the game...so yes, what a playmaker

When was the last time you saw Spiller get a carry that wasnt a draw up the middle in an obvious play call? He has not been used at all properly and the OL has been atrocious at creating holes inside...atrocious.

A RB needs lanes, period. Whether they are designed or available via cut back, he needs a lane. Spiller missed a few cut backs week 1, but bounced back week 2. This week, there was NO room to run anywhere, not his fault

Kind of saying the same thing here. Spiller is very talented but like many running backs lacks versatility. Tough in between the tackle stuffis not his forte.

Even all world AP is not considered a good 3rd down back.

Workhorse games with touch after touch might not be either.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. TOP reasons for CJ not producing this game - 1)OC used shotgun draws everytime when the JETS D was stacked in the box. 2)not used in the pass/screen game 3) You don't run plays up the middle with CJ, you put the team in the i formation and run offtackle or outside and let him bounce out if he needs to. I do think that the playcallling was at fault here more than CJ. and if you need a 4th 4) the Jets run D Played really well.

Lastly...It does not help that Defenses are clearly concentrating on stopping Spiller...And they should...We have a Rookie QB who is unproven...This is Hackett's main dilemma...It's the Bills Offense that has mostly been thrown off by what the Defenses are doing to stop them...They are not doing much to keep the Defenses honest through a creative or effective game-plan...This is the problem with most NFL Offenses when you have a Rookie QB..OC

Anyway... B-)

Corrected. If we had an OC with more experience coming up the ranks rather than tagging along with HC they could overcome this obstacle. The OC is trying to drive RB as a truck rather than a Ferarri. The coaching staff should be looking for an offense consultant.

Corrected. If we had an OC with more experience coming up the ranks rather than tagging along with HC they could overcome this obstacle. The OC is trying to drive RB as a truck rather than a Ferarri. The coaching staff should be looking for an offense consultant.

You have to start somewhere... No coach ever started with NFL coaching experience when they first start coaching. Bills are a perfect team for this first time coach.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Why are they a perfect team?

The Kid Nate has alot to learn. he is moving too slow for us fans but he aint dumb.

Chan was one of my favorite Bills OC. excepting he wasnt the OC .

as mentioned correctly. Hackett could use some pointers from Gailley about now .

I still am behind the new generation here .

But i better see both spiller lined up as WR and he and Fred in the backfield.

And why no Summers yesterday ?

Learning curve gentlemen ,is the answer i believe. welcome to the NFL.

Spiller is a mismatch not a work horse.

Edited by 3rdand12