Winfield retiring

Well since they are $20m+ under the salary cap the answer is self-evident.

Judging from Byrd's press conference, it appears to be pretty obvious that he doesn't want to play here. If that in fact is the case fine, let him walk rather than pay him as the top safety in the league, as he isn't.

I wonder, do you think it was the same case with Levitre? I don't really remember much about any of his comments, but I didn't get the sense that he wanted out of Buffalo...

Well, for one, vince, because none of those teams are paying $8 million for a guard.

Sorry Vince, but that dog won't hunt. You are presented with a list that includes Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, Mario Williams. Then you choose Urbik and Pears to illustrate your point about not keeping your top players. Really? BTW, I would guarantee you that very few NFL GM's, particularly that successful ones, would have been found throwing 8 million per in the direction of Andy Levitre. He is a solid and consistent player, but not $8 million solid. If your point is that the Bills have not been successful in re-signing their top talent in recent years, I beg to differ. Look back at the list and tell me that again. I don't see how you arrive at that conclusion when presented with those names.

Would I like to go back and add Pears and Urbik to the list? Yes, without question. The Bills did have one of the top rated OL's in the league over the past few years. You don't get there without those type of signings. Or are you suggesting that success was all the result of A Levitre's awesomeness?

Which was awesome. But don't you think they could've signed at least ONE of the two between Levitre and Byrd, if not both?

Neither wanted to sign for Buffalo unless the Bills were willing to break the bank and neither is good enough to do so. When you start overpaying players next player to be renewed expects to be overpaid as well even if there is no money to do so.

Which was awesome. But don't you think they could've signed at least ONE of the two between Levitre and Byrd, if not both?

They did. They signed Byrd for 6.9 million. The last time I checked, that signing counts against their cap for this year and will result in Byrd taking the field for the Buffalo Bills in 2013. That signing needed to be taken into account when evaluating the decision on Levitre. Reality is real! As the man said, "You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts."