The Bills-Lions Preseason Series: Worst in Sports?

silvermike

So, we play the Lions tonight. A late August game against Detroit is going to be familiar, because we've got this matchup every damn year since 2002. That's ten games in the books so far - in the worst ongoing traditional game in sports. Consider the following:

1.) The NFL preseason is always terrible. We know that - after a long offseason, the first game might feel like a drink of water at the end of a desert march, but it quickly degenerates into a month-long panic attack based on key injuries. This year more than most.

2.) The 4th preseason game is especially terrible. The key work is all done, and the starters stay home. So in a meaningless NFL game, this one doesn't even feature familiar faces. It's not even a preview.

3.) The Lions are terrible. At 51-125, they have the worst record in the NFL since this series began.

4.) The Bills are terrible. Sadly true. 27th out of 32 teams in total record for the past decade (thanks Lions, Raiders, Browns, Cardinals, and Rams). But we've got a secret weapon: no other team has missed the playoffs every year in that span.

5.) The games are terrible. Even for preseason, these are some clunkers. One team or the other regularly fails to score a touchdown.

6.) We always lose. Not always, but we're currently riding a FIVE game losing streak in this dud of duds. This would be higher, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be more embarrassing to win.

Agreed that it may be the worst series in sports, but I'm actually intrigued by tonight's installment.

I can't lie and say I'm not interested in watching the Bills handle their QB situation. If one or more of them carve it up, I'll be slightly relieved. On the flip side, if they don't, I won't be any more skeptical, as my expectations are already nil.

Granted, I know that they'll be facing 3rd and 4th stringers for the most part. But those bubble guys will be playing their butts off, unlike starters who would simply be going through the motions.

So while it might not mean much, and the game most likely will be a puddle of hot garbage water like the rest, I must admit this year's edition of the worst series in sports at least has the potential to be somewhat entertaining.

So, we play the Lions tonight. A late August game against Detroit is going to be familiar, because we've got this matchup every damn year since 2002. That's ten games in the books so far - in the worst ongoing traditional game in sports. Consider the following:

1.) The NFL preseason is always terrible. We know that - after a long offseason, the first game might feel like a drink of water at the end of a desert march, but it quickly degenerates into a month-long panic attack based on key injuries. This year more than most.

2.) The 4th preseason game is especially terrible. The key work is all done, and the starters stay home. So in a meaningless NFL game, this one doesn't even feature familiar faces. It's not even a preview.

3.) The Lions are terrible. At 51-125, they have the worst record in the NFL since this series began.

4.) The Bills are terrible. Sadly true. 27th out of 32 teams in total record for the past decade (thanks Lions, Raiders, Browns, Cardinals, and Rams). But we've got a secret weapon: no other team has missed the playoffs every year in that span.

5.) The games are terrible. Even for preseason, these are some clunkers. One team or the other regularly fails to score a touchdown.

6.) We always lose. Not always, but we're currently riding a FIVE game losing streak in this dud of duds. This would be higher, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be more embarrassing to win.

Wow, nice breakdown. Certainly a candidate for worst series in sports.

I do wonder why this arrangement came about?? Is it that RW likes playing a game every other year in Detroit, relives childhood memories?? Feels he's giving something back to Detroit??

That, and he's friends with the Fords.

PTR

Ralph Wilson lives in Detroit and he wants the series to continue.

The main point should be is how the billionaire owners manage to extort regular season prices from fans for meaningless practice games.