Do the Bills have the best secondary in the NFL?

Rudyc80

Last week i was trying to think of a team that might have a chance to stop indy and was thinking about who has a secondary that would stand a chance and i came up with only a few teams who might have a chance.....and honetsly we might have the best secondary in football!

heres the other teams who are close to us!

Bills....Milloy, Vincent, Clements, McGee is scary good!

Pats(when healthy) not if law is released after thsi season)Wilson Samuels, Harrisson, Law is nice!

Ravens.....Reed and McCalister are just top notch and can make up for the other 2!

Eagles....i think they are way overated but they have Shepard and Dawkins!

Thats all i came up with! Maybe Denver but i doubt it!

You're seriously diluted.  Did our secondary stop a single 3rd and long play all year?

205765[/snapback]

I think this comment speaks to the crucial role which the rush plays in pass defense. The fact that the Bills were second in the league in INTs, but were middlin at best in pass rush (no player in double figures) I think is an indication that alot of these INTs were made by the secondary rather than forced by the pass rush.

Granted there are many factors and the many blowout wins for the Bills during the streak forced opponents to pass and we knew the pass was coming, but perhaps the better question for you is when did our DEFENSE sop a single 3rd and long rather than asking when the secindary did that.

The Bills didn't even see the type of coverages that the combination of Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent could present them with over the course of a full season! Troy Vincent can still matchup with recievers in the slot and the deep ability to get to the sidelines on deep routes is really exciting. Finally, the maturing of Terrence McGee at left cornerback will probably solidify this group into one of the top 2 or 3 deep patrols in the league.

You're seriously diluted.  Did our secondary stop a single 3rd and long play all year?

205765[/snapback]

They certainly got toasted at the wrong times.

I wonder if there is a stat regarding points given up on the

ground and in the air?

vincent moved to FS, so it might take him a year or so to really get it.

and McGee is NOT as good as most want to believe. randel el DESTROYED him that last game... :huh:

but i agree we have a top secondary. backed up by one of the top LB groups.

but the ravens E. Reed is a BEAST.

I love our secondary only a few problems

Depth. Milloy and Vincent aren't exactaly spring chickens. Clements and Mcgee's contracts I think run out after next year. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that, and Kevin Thomas and Jabari greer have proved to be adequate nickle backs at best.

Safety Depth. We have Rashad Baker who showed flashes at fs before vincent came back. A backup making over million dollars in pierson prialeiou, who btw I like in blitz packages, coy wire, who's good at just special teams. God forbid something happens to milloy next season, and Izell reese who should be cut. We should address the depth in free agency/and or draft.

Lack of a pass rush from our front 4. The most telling stat in defensive statistics is obviouisly turnovers. We got a lot of them this year, however the reason we get bullied around by the upper echelon teams like ne, pitt is because of a lack of a consistent pass rush. I'm talking about pressure we don't get it, at least not against the pats, the chiefs game in 2003 another example. The only way to address this is through free agency. I know a lot of people are sour about John Abraham but the guy is a beast when healthy. Or A Darren Howard who averages about 10 sacks a year.

All in all though. These aren't huge problems. Depth in the secondary can always be had, but we still need a better rush out of our front 4. When we rely to heavily on our lb's and db's to generate a rush it's gonna burn us against the better teams in the league. We still have a good enough secondary to compare with the best the nfl has to offer

I think this comment speaks to the crucial role which the rush plays in pass defense.  The fact that the Bills were second in the league in INTs, but were middlin at best in pass rush (no player in double figures) I think is an indication that alot of these INTs were made by the secondary rather than forced by the pass rush.

Granted there are many factors and the many blowout wins for the Bills during the streak forced opponents to pass and we knew the pass was coming, but perhaps the better question for you is when did our DEFENSE sop a single 3rd and long rather than asking when the secindary did that.

205827[/snapback]

Actually the Bills were T-3rd in sacks, I don't think that I would consider that middle of the pack. :huh:

205765[/snapback]

Dan speaks the truth. We're good, but surely not the best. McGee is a great special teams player, but is no stud at all at CB. Clements played better this year, but I'd rather have about 15 other CBs before him. At safety, we look good.

Actually the Bills were T-3rd in sacks, I don't think that I would consider that middle of the pack. :huh:

205914[/snapback]

I called us middlin because in addition to good stats for sacks there was also the stat I mentioned that no player made double digits. I think this is signifcant for several reasons:

1. No one on our DL draws much of a double-team except when that player is at the point of attack and the offense decides to take him out. What BS did for the Bills is that he always mandated a double-team (and sometimes a triple team when an offensive player had chip block duty on him or the run blitz was shifted toward him because he was likely to get through) BS made not only the rushers around him better because they were guaranteed single coverage even when they manned the point of attack, but he made the secondary better as the QB was watching the line rather than concentrating only on the secondary. While he Bills will almost certainly never have a BS again, if one of out rushers demanded a double team it would make the pass rush far more effective and give the secondary opportunities rather than them having to make them for themselves.

2. Its hard to judge based on the stats because timing is not recorded, but there are two factors I'd note for a higher sack count:

A. High motor- Schobel and Kelsay are none as high motor guys because quite framly their sacks often do not come from their beating the opposing OL player, but because the QB holds onto the ball so long but the coverage is so good that eventually they run the QB down. My thinking is that the high number of coverage sacks speaks as much or more to quality of the secondary as to the nice motor of our DEs. I just wish that in addition to persistence they had great first moves,

B. The run-blitz. We produced a top 3 sack number while no one had double digits because Fletcher had some, Spikes had some, Adams great first step got him some and we even aggressively employed the corner blitz. Again i would put this down as a tribute to the secondary because they managed to cover receivers in this pass happy league while often giving up one of their own as a blitzer rather than having him cover.

At any rate analysis of these numbers say a lot of good things about our secondary.

vincent moved to FS, so it might take him a year or so to really get it.

and McGee is NOT as good as most want to believe. randel el DESTROYED him that last game... :huh:

but i agree we have a top secondary. backed up by one of the top LB groups.

but the ravens E. Reed is a BEAST.

205882[/snapback]

It's WAY too early to make a determination on McGee. The game will slow down for him sometime next season and we'll see what kind of player he truly is. Right now, we're seeing a talented athlete struggling with concepts who's using his God given gifts to compensate.

He'll be helped measurably if TV can stay healthy next season and the pass rush can pick it up a notch.

Ah, Baltimroe has the best in the league. 

Then Philly. 

Then Pats - when healthy.

Then Pitt.

Then Buffalo.  We got big names, but no playoffs and no turnovers to carry the offense for 2 or 3 games that would have made the difference.

205975[/snapback]

What does EVERY one of those teams have that we don't? A consistant pass rush.