Which players impressed you most yesterday?

RCOHEN13

I watched game 3 times yesterday on the NFL.com preseason package.

Kiko Alonso- hs to be #1 for me... This guy has great instincts and can cover which has been our biggest issue with MLB's forever!

Spiller- in just first 2 carries , CJ looks like he's gonna be a major part and be relied on HEAVILY and i'm comfortable in predicting him landing in top 5 in rushing this year.

BUT.... Guy who impressed me most..... PETTINE.... i LOVE this guy... D was moving around and attacking rather than let the O dictate the game. I for 1 am happy than EJ has to practice vs these guys daily cuz this dude knows how to coach a D. Aaron Williams who i couldnt stand at CB looked great at Safety and i love the fact that even after getting burned, Brooks came up with HUGE play in causing that fumble as well as playing very strong on ST. This D is gonna be exactly what they wanted..... VERSATILE!

WR- its hard to put too much stock into preseason game 1 but with a team so reliant on rookies at QB and WR, everyone seemed very in sync. Only knock on the day was EJ "pushing" ball to Hogan over middle in a 3rd and short and leaving pass bit behind him . Didnt step into throw and it was behind him and would have been a sure first down. However, in reg season, that route will be to SJ13 which is why Hogan was slot guy with the 1's and even tho ball was a bit behind him, Stevie would have made that grab as it was far from uncatchable just a bit behind him.

EJ- looked GREAT outside considering he attempted 21 and hit on 16. Alot were dinks and dunks, but truth is, in a 2 min drill, good QB's do a lot of that as they hit the RB or safety valve in stride and let him pick up some yardage and our guys were getting out of bounds. That 2 min drive was a thing of beauty and even tho i was hoping to see EJ for at least 1st series in 2nd half considering we were getting ball and knowing Kolb was not playing and Tuel would still get plenty of playing time. After that 9-9 TD drive in final 2 min, was PERFECT way to end his day

and that leads to Tuel- i actually saw bunch of his at WSU and he really looked sharp yesterday and really got me thinking that the roster spot for 3rd QB "may" be able to used somewhere other than QB.

We have alot of young corners who were flying around field yesterday and for me, the BEST part of the day was just SEEING a Blitx from slot corner and him getting a sack and another big hit to force an early throw later on by Kip Edwards. I cant remember the last time we were consistently blitzing from all over field! It was a beautiful sight!

We have A LOT of talent and a ton of speed on this squad, and the fact the EJ has to practice daily vs Pettine;s D will only make him that much better. These guys seem like a really tight knit group cuz so many are still "infants!" Let 'em play together. Only way to improve is having them on field. I see no reason to start Kolb and for that matter, KEEP him on roster. His upside is very limited and its not like he's a true vet QB with lots of experience to help groom EJ.

The only valuble insight Kolb would have would be which pain killers are best for diff ailments if EJ's get bruised up! I'd love to see that extra roster spot on 1 of these young WR's which may really come in handy as season progresses when injuries start adding up. Other position that i hope we keep an extra guy and cut from somewhere else is CB. We have a slew of young CB's and have a feeling outside of Gilmore, with Mckelvin already gimpy, and in league where teams employ so many multiple WR sets, its crucial to have as many DB's as possible. We have a bunch of guys vying for roster spot there and with so many unknowns, we may very well see a bunch of diff guys being used.

To end... my fav play of game.... When Indy threw a quick WR screen to outside and had a blocker engaged already on our mighty mouse, Roby, we still managed to make the tackle. With his lack of size, seeing him make a big tackle was a really pleasant surprise cuz he has already been excellent in camp in coverage. Seeing him in live action, and making a great tackle was really nice to see for such an undersized CB.

RC

The 3rd QB roster spot doesn't work that way on game day. If your talking about getting the extra man added to the 53 man roster.

If your just talking about running 2 QBs all year I agree. 7 of these WRs would be much better than 3 QBs. But Kolb is a vet and I'm guessing the coaching staff will want an experienced vet back there in case something happens. But hey, ya never know. I think Tuel definitely makes it though.

The 3rd QB roster spot doesn't work that way on game day. If your talking about getting the extra man added to the 53 man roster.

If your just talking about running 2 QBs all year I agree. 7 of these WRs would be much better than 3 QBs. But Kolb is a vet and I'm guessing the coaching staff will want an experienced vet back there in case something happens. But hey, ya never know. I think Tuel definitely makes it though.

Yes, i'm talking about keeping jsut 2 QB's. I'm very well aware the 3rd QB can now be "active" body for game. I just see no value in keeping Kolb around. If he does see the field, over under on games him staying healthy for is 1.5! I like the idea of having a vet QB consdering Tuel is also a rookie but with team having SOOOO many guys that will be not only on roster, but in starting gigs that are very young players. They have all played off each other and fact they are all so young helps them all relate and form bounds.... Going young will only benifit this team. Having a "vet" back up QB is great if he is a TRUE vet. Kolb has barely played and when he did he constantly got hurt. If they wanted a guy to be backup QB and sorta like a 2nd QB coach, they would have kept Fitz as he would be perfect #2 like he is gonna be doing with Locker in Tenn.

Let the kids play!!! Their will be alot of OOPS plays, but alot of BIG plays. Seeing Goodwin take BOTH his returns back was thing on beauty and i think if Bills are serious about using Mclovin as teams starting CB opposite Gilmore, having him return kicks is not a good idea if they want him upright for year. As good as he was last yr, Goodwin is faster and did any of u notice how decisive he was in picking his lanes... This guy is gonna be what he hoped Roscoe was gonna be and he;s tough as nails and not made of glass like Roscoe and doesnt dance laterally with ball and try and juke everyone like Roscoe did. He sees lane and FLIES!!!

Woods will lead team in receptions this yr! I am actually personally friends with Stevie, and this is no knock on him, but Woods is the catch 70-80 balls this yr and with SJ13 missing so much valuable time in camp, EJ is forming great chemistry with Woods and as he all know, Woods was most polished WR in draft to come out and contribute right away.

Goodwin. It looked like he was jogging and still flying by people on the KO return. It was unreal. I think he can be something sepcial.

Crezdon Butler impressed me most. Showed alot of maturity and athletic ability. Had his head in the game. Talented kid.

EJ, Kiko, Goodwin also played great games, but I think we knew they would. Butler was a surprise and impressed me.

Butler did look good. How bout Edwards on the Slot Blitzes??

EJ, after he calmed down.

Woods, for awareness during the two minute drill.

Tuel, for all around QB play.

Mario, for defensive leadership, getting guys into position.

Alonso, for being all over the place.

Easley, for getting open on just about every play.

Goodwin, for speed and the ability to recognize the seam.

EJ clearly impressed me the most. I expected many more rookie mistakes out there than I saw. Sure he had a rough first couple of possessions, but that's too be expected. To see him recover from that on the road in his first NFL game and lead a 95-yard drive under a two minute drill was spectacular. I saw what I expected from Spiller and Mario as our top two players on the offense and defense. Alonzo looked outstanding on defense as well, but he's not a signal caller by any stretch.

I was very excited to see our Vet Mario he looked very locked in with the defensive scheme. He had a sack where our DLine confused the offense. He had another play where he knew exactly what was going to happen but no one on the Line listened to him and shifted. It would have been a run for loss instead it was a first down.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Goodwin. It looked like he was jogging and still flying by people on the KO return. It was unreal. I think he can be something sepcial.

Goodwin will allow Mclovin to focus on being #2 CB. As good as we was last yr as KR, i think if we plan on him being #2 CB, cant risk him in return game when u had possibly FASTEST player in league on squad. What was most impressive as he read block and just blew past everyone. No dancing or jukes, they flew!

More of a work in progress as WR and cant see him being above #4 as he is VERY raw as WR

Goodwin will allow Mclovin to focus on being #2 CB. As good as we was last yr as KR, i think if we plan on him being #2 CB, cant risk him in return game when u had possibly FASTEST player in league on squad. What was most impressive as he read block and just blew past everyone. No dancing or jukes, they flew!

More of a work in progress as WR and cant see him being above #4 as he is VERY raw as WR

I agree with this, and an angle i didn't really think of.

Also Aaron Williams at Safety, i liked. I think it is a good transition for him. He can come down in coverage as well. Layed a nice hit to break up a play.

I can't believe you watched the game three times, that's insane.

I agree with you on Pettine, I said the same thing to my buddy (after only one viewing, mind you). I would go:

1. Goodwin

2. Tuel

3. Butler

4. Easley

5. Spiller (nothing really surprising there- he's the second best RB in football)

Edited by metzelaars_lives

After Indy coverted two early first downs, I loved seeing Mario getting in the faces of the others on defense. Either somebody did something wrong or he was just trying to fire them up, but either way it seemed to work. Alonzo seems to be exactly what we've been looking for since Puz.

How about Manny Lawson too? He made a few stellar plays. Our linebackers seem to be long and fast which is very refreshing.

Again, it's only pre-season but at least there is more optimism than pessimism after the first game.

I do have to say that the least impressive person for the Bills has gotta be Ray Bentley. My gosh is he awful.

Edited by Wooderson