Astro-Notes: Colts Preseason: First Half

Astrobot

DEFENSE 1:

Hopkins kick left no return yards. The Gilmore hit set the tone. Carrington Dareus Williams Williams is likely your starting front four. Alonso penetration cause 2 downs to blow up in the Colts' faces.

Brooks tackled instantly on the reception. Penetration by Alonso forced the early throw on 3rd down. Woods dropped the punt; doesn't he want to be on this team? jk... Goodwin is one o the stars of the game, but his dumb hit out of bounds led to a poor drive start.

OFFENSE 1:

Glenn-Brown-Wood-Urbik-Pears is good, not great. Leave it to bounce it out twice for 32 yards total. Loved seeing the TJ Graham block on the first, and Summers' lead block on the second CJ run. The play action play only works if you pass for a while--Terrible screen, and Colin Brown's block sucked. Hilton made a great PR for a good drive start.

DEFENSE 2:

Andrew Luck bootlegged, Fleener is tackled by Searcy. I'm biting sections of the couch. Mario gets a sack b/c he's single teamed by the slowest guy on their line, Castonzo. Should stick to Seinfeld.

Bradham's hit was solid, but Brooks' taunt nets a flag, and now it's first down. Colts' false start (their FB) nets us the penalty yardage right back. Aaron Williams successfully defends a pass play, no catch...Searcy allows a reception, but the fumble forced by Brooks is recovered by the swarming Bills.

OFFENSE 2:

Spiller's getting about 4 yards per carry off the left side. The handoff between EJ and CJ is botched (I blame Summers for getting in the way). Brooks almost INT's Darrius Heyward Bey on the first play from Hasselbeck.

DEFENSE 3:

Alonso shows excellent and quick diagnostic skills on the stop up the middle trap that the Colts run on Hughes. I want TY Hilton on our side; what a great sideline reception vs Gilmore! Hughes stops the run, and Alonso knocks ball out from Fleener, and I think we're in good shape, but Illegal procedure vs Hughes extends the possession. Aaron Williams vs Brown results in a pass breakup, and Colts must settle for FG. Indy 3-0.

OFFENSE 3:

Marquise Goodwin's first KR only goes for 53 yards--what a putz! jk... If you watch, he follows Summers' block through the crowd and he kicks it in gear. Now I'm wondering if they keep Summers and put Gaskins on PS, or waive him altogether. The pass to TE is incomplete, then EJ goes through 2 progressions (Watch the replay) and scrambles 29 yards. No slide at the end; he'll hear from Marrone on that. TJ Graham hauls in a sweet timing pass to advance to the 13. This is huge because TJ had to have great focus as a player occludes his vision almost at the last minute. Pears is called for a false start, the second score-affecting play of the game. Fred Jackson moves 9 yards on a screen, FJ is held by our very own Kelvin Sheppard, and a pass is broken up by the defender's upward movement on FJ. EJ's pass is a little behind (he doesn't lead him and while I've seen Stevie make amazing catches, Hogan's not Stevie). Hopkins FG from the 24, and the score is tied, 3-3.

DEFENSE 4:

After a 28 yard KR, Manny Lawson shows why he's here. He hits the RB immediately for a 1 yard net. RB redeems himself on the next play, though, and I'm not sure this is Alonso losing him as Bentley says. Troup and Bradham bring down RB, and I'm feeling encouraged, but then TY Hilton (did I mention we need this guy?) makes the TD covered by Brooks. Brooks was caught looking on the play fake, and Hilton's too fast. I move second CB up to P1 on the DraftTek Positional Needs. Colts 10-3.

OFFENSE 4:

Goodwin gets a grounder for the touchback..do they already have respect for our new returner? CJ goes for no gain off RG. That's RG. Robert Woods makes his first NFL catch (now he had to dive for it, but it counts nonetheless) and it's now 3rd and 2. EJ makes his second pass that's behind the receiver (Hogan) because he aimed it rather than throwing it. I call up Hackett and ask him to tell EJ to just gun it in there, maybe to Dickerson over the middle. The punt was out of bounds, giving the Colts a drive start at the 40.

DEFENSE 5:

Pettine scales it up and Lawson has his 2nd brilliant play, a TFL for a 1 yd loss. Lawson follows up with his third brilliant play--he tips it at the line, resulting in INT#1 by Crezdon Butler.

OFFENSE 5:

Manuel hands off to Choice, and it results in little gain. He throws to Gragg for seven, which might have been his only catch(?). EJ throws the next ball like a dart, which Hogan does a good job of catching anyway and slides for the first down. I call up Hackett again and ask him to tell EJ to just gun it in there, maybe to Dickerson over the middle. Meanwhile Choice runs for 4 off RG. That's RG. Great line play here as EJ hands off inside to Choice. The Colts stop the pace as Hickman is injured. Belichick writes that down. Choice's next run is short by 1 yard. EJ runs to his right (maybe play-action would have worked here, or bootleg) and throws out of bounds as the receivers are covered--or are they? Look and see the receiver trailing who's wide open. It wouldn't have been an awful throw across EJ's body, but you have to give the rookie credit for not forcing it. FG by Hopkins, 10-6

DEFENSE 5:

Hopkins' line drive bounces out of bounds, penalty takeover at 40. Meeks is in on the tackle on the RB. For a small guy he sure mixes it up. Butler covers Sampson, and the ball's thrown out of bounds. Scott had the QB dead to rights and I don't know how he let him go. Challenge the spot? No, Marrone didn't (we'll find out why). Hughes was caught on a misdirection, covering the drag route. Crezdon Butler showing awareness. Robey on the stop after 4 yds. Bentley calls Nickell "nickel" and it just gets funnnier. The great pressure by Blatnick forces incompletion. Dunno why he was left unblocked. Third down and 6, a great def play by Crezdon Butler getting tomahawk on arm, sets up FG from 44. Vinateri is money. 13-6, Colts.

OFFENSE 6:

107 yd TD return by Goodwin! I worried when Meeks almost interferes from behind. 13-13 tie.

DaRick, Lawson, and EJ offer Marquise congratulations. That has to be a record, at least preseason. 20-13, Bills.

DEFENSE 6:

DeMArco Sampson and Ron Brooks are first in there on the KR. I'm thinking, "Sampson will make this club on ST". Moats makes a solid stop on their RB. Jerry Hughes has the QB dead to rights, and he makes the tackle. A player for the Bills is having difficulty shedding blocks, but I couldn't read the jersey number. Duke Williams is beat covering on a 17 yd pass play. Hughes bats a pass down, getting out in space on his side. He's enigmatic, making great plays and some bonehead plays. Nickell ("nickel"--I'm cracking up) defends a pass. There are only 10 men on the field for the next play, but Colts call time out. Third and 2, Corbin Bryant and Alan Branch gum up the middle, and Meeks almost gets INT #1, but the completion made for first down. Shout out to TJ Heath who becomes untaped from the goalpost and makes a tackle, but holding (caused by Jay Ross The Animal) backs up the Colts, and Heath's tackle won't show on the stats. First and 20, and Butler, Jarron Gilbert, and Ross make a combo play on the screen. Meeks almost gets INT#2 as Bryant, Branch, and Hughes cause Harnish to flush out of the pocket. Nickell misses a tackle. Blatnick makes his tackle with help from TJ Heath and Troup. This forces punt on 4th and 17. Woods doesn't return it and ball falls at 5

OFFENSE 7:

Ej passes out on the flat to Woods, then signals his Radio went out. Great trick when you want to freestyle! EJ to Lee Smith (who's a TE who never was thrown the ball, known only for his blocking). A Colts late hit on Smith moves the ball to the 32. EJ dumps it off to Choice for 5, and they're now at the 37 with 1:13 left. EJ goes right back to Woods on an inside slant and calls time out. 1:08 on the clock and the ball's on the 45. EJ picks up the first down, and there are still 2 timeouts. EJ goes over the middle to Dickerson, then calls a timeout. The ball's on the 33. Showing mature ball management, EJ throws it out of bounds, but holding on our old friend Kelvin Sheppard puts the ball on the 30. :29 to go, Woods catches another EJ pass and makes beeline to the sideline, saving a timeout. We're on the 18 yard line with :24 to go. A Choice dump-off nets no gain, but uses 5 seconds of clock. I get nervous. I call up Hackett again and ask him to tell EJ to just gun it in there, maybe to Dickerson over the middle. EJ finds Scorin' Dorin Dickerson for the 18 yard TD down the middle,. A Hopkins XP finishes off a 95-yard drive, 27-13, Bills.

On the ensuing kickoff with :09, Brian Smith tackles the KR inside the 10 and then a kneel down ends the half.

........Game Balls, First Half.............

1. 50, 107 yard returns by Goodwin

2. Kiko Alonso

3. Brooks hit with Searcy pickup of fumble

4. Manuel making no stupid plays on a 2 minute drill ........

Astro