Henry free to seek trade

I think we can trade him sometime in february after the pro bowl has been played.  THis is when TO and Dennis northcutt had their little disturbances last year.

204745[/snapback]

If thats true, I'd like to see the Bills trade him as quickly as possible. Not because I loathe the man and what him off the team, but just in terms of value his stock would never be higher then it would be before free agency begins.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If thats true, I'd like to see the Bills trade him as quickly as possible.  Not because I loathe the man and what him off the team, but just in terms of value his stock would never be higher then it would be before free agency begins.

204761[/snapback]

not if theres 1 team left that really needs a tailback, but no tailbacks. Funny things happen in free agency(ie: Volek resigning with teh titans last year). So you never know.

However, that is not likey and I agree that we should have TH gone before the start of FA.

I hoping for TB's 2nd rnd pick.

204268[/snapback]

Pittman has been a pretty good back for TB this season. I don't see Tampa

going after him. Plus, TH couldn't handle competing for the spot....I don't

think he would want to go there either...

If seattle loses Shaun Alexander, he might be a guy they can target.

Feely did go for a 2nd, and RJ was 9th pick in the draft and a 4th. QBs are different.

As for RBs, Dillon was a #2. Faulk in his prime was a 2nd and a 5th.

Henry is a headcase with serious limitations who is coming off an injury.

If we can salvage a 5th, I say that we take it and run.

204488[/snapback]

When some unknowns from St. Louis gets traded for a 3rd rounder, I think

a two time 1000 yard rusher will get much more...It all depends on how

serious and desparate a team is.

Pittman has been a pretty good back for TB this season. I don't see Tampa

going after him.  Plus, TH couldn't handle competing for the spot....I don't

think he would want to go there either...

If seattle loses Shaun Alexander, he might be a guy they can target.

204766[/snapback]

Wasn't Pittman suspended early for beating his wife?? I was thinking between Pittman's legal troubles and Henry being from FL... but you make a good point about TH's fear of competition.

>>>Can't imagine Gruden wanting him either. <<<

Why not?  :)  :lol:

204588[/snapback]

Outside of the obvious, the offense Gruden wants to play is best handled by a #1 who can take passes over the shoulder, a major Henry weakness.

Wasn't Pittman suspended early for beating his wife?? I was thinking between Pittman's legal troubles and Henry being from FL... but you make a good point about TH's fear of competition.

204772[/snapback]

A few years ago Cosey Coleman I believe drove his car directly at his wife, or something similar to that. Those florida teams aren't too discriminate when it ocmes to off-the-field issues and teh way they build their rosters.

Yeah...but if we can't get a decent player/pick in return and its not worth trading him, what do we do with him then?

204262[/snapback]

I think we cross that bridge if and when we get to it.

From our standpoint, we clearly need a quality back who has at least the potential to start to give WM a blow when he needs the rest and potentially to step in if worst comes to worst at a given point and WM gets hurt or rehurts the injury.

Henry in terms of onfield stuff seems to be just the man for this job (he usually needs a few carries to get on track which is not the pedigree of instant offense which we want from a reserve, but he has the production in two previous seasons to be a good fill-in starter if necessary). However, his off-filed talk that he wants to be a starter somewhere and that his time as a Bill is done makes this problematic.

Trading him for a clear back-up RB and/or a draft choice is actually our preferred option.

If there are no takers at a reasonable price I think that it probably needs to be left to Henry to change the tone for the relationship. He would have every reason to want to do so because the Bills have him under contract for next season and if he were to actually hold out he would not qualify toward FA status for time sat out and we would have the rights to him yet again next season.

In theory, he can throw a hissy fit and report to the Bills but simply not play hard or try and accrue time toward FA. However, to do so would be a dangerous game to play as he would compound the performance questions raised by his play last season, would also give credance to the injury fears and add acting as a cancer to his resume, None of these things would serve his interests in getting him the big FA contract he wants. Add to that he would be signing up for a year in hell as his teammates would know he is letting them down through his lack of effort and he would be hanging with them all year.

My guess is that if we can't move Henry, his agent will see first hand what opposing teams are offering for him. It will clearly be in his interests to change his tune and announce that he and TD have sat down and cleared the air and his plan in 2005 is to be the most valuable Bill he can be.

If he is forced to take this stance then what he will likely do is hope under his breath for an injury to WM so he can then show his stuff and be next year\s Drew Brees having proved his stuff and in the driver's seat as an FA.

I think we cross that bridge if and when we get to it.

From our standpoint, we clearly need a quality back who has at least the potential to start to give WM a blow when he needs the rest and potentially to step in if worst comes to worst at a given point and WM gets hurt or rehurts the injury.

Henry in terms of onfield stuff seems to be just the man for this job (he usually needs a few carries to get on track which is not the pedigree of instant offense which we want from a reserve, but he has the production in two previous seasons to be a good fill-in starter if necessary).  However, his off-filed talk that he wants to be a starter somewhere and that his time as a Bill is done makes this problematic.

Trading him for a clear back-up RB and/or a draft choice is actually our preferred option.

If there are no takers at a reasonable price I think that it probably needs to be left to Henry to change the tone for the relationship.  He would have every reason to want to do so because the Bills have him under contract for next season and if he were to actually hold out he would not qualify toward FA status for time sat out and we would have the rights to him yet again next season.

In theory, he can throw a hissy fit and report to the Bills but simply not play hard or try and accrue time toward FA.  However, to do so would be a dangerous game to play as he would compound the performance questions raised by his play last season, would also give credance to the injury fears and add acting as a cancer to his resume,  None of these things would serve his interests in getting him the big FA contract he wants.  Add to that he would be signing up for a year in hell as his teammates would know he is letting them down through his lack of effort and he would be hanging with them all year.

My guess is that if we can't move Henry, his agent will see first hand what opposing teams are offering for him.  It will clearly be in his interests to change his tune and announce that he and TD have sat down and cleared the air and his plan in 2005 is to be the most valuable Bill he can be.

If he is forced to take this stance then what he will likely do is hope under his breath for an injury to WM so he can then show his stuff and be next year\s Drew Brees having proved his stuff and in the driver's seat as an FA.

204812[/snapback]

I agree nearly 100 % with you on this.

I think that Henry's agent is likely to come back empty-handed.

If someone offers a 3rd, it would normally indicate under-valuing TH. However, due to his productivity drop-off in '04 and apparent injury proneness, TD might take it.

If offered less, Henry and agent will need to find a new plan, IMO.

I think the key to this whole thing might be the Jets, believe it or not. From what I've heard, now they're leaning towards trying to keep LaMont Jordan. I think he's the Raiders' first choice (they tried to get him this past offseason, and is the perfect back for Turner's system). If the Jets find a way to keep him (franchise tag? - they might with Abraham's latest antics decide to franchise Jordan instead), then the Raiders may come crawling for Travis... otherwise, I'm not sure what the market would look like:

1) No chance we give him to them - plus I think they'll target Shaun Alexander.

2) Seattle - I think they end up with Marshall Faulk somehow

3) Arizona - they already have a "pounder" (Shipp) - they'll likely trade for a speed guy (Michael Bennett)

4) Tampa Bay - Henry ain't the right fit for that offense - no question

5) Philly - this might be a great fit, actually - they want a "pounder" to spell Westbrook. They'll also like his low cap number for next year. They're shrewd, though - they didn't even give up a #2 for Owens!

I think the key to this whole thing might be the Jets, believe it or not.  From what I've heard, now they're leaning towards trying to keep LaMont Jordan.  I think he's the Raiders' first choice (they tried to get him this past offseason, and is the perfect back for Turner's system).  If the Jets find a way to keep him (franchise tag? - they might with Abraham's latest antics decide to franchise Jordan instead), then the Raiders may come crawling for Travis... otherwise, I'm not sure what the market would look like:

1) No chance we give him to them - plus I think they'll target Shaun Alexander.

2) Seattle - I think they end up with Marshall Faulk somehow

3) Arizona - they already have a "pounder" (Shipp) - they'll likely trade for a speed guy (Michael Bennett)

4) Tampa Bay - Henry ain't the right fit for that offense - no question

5) Philly - this might be a great fit, actually - they want a "pounder" to spell Westbrook.  They'll also like his low cap number for next year.  They're shrewd, though - they didn't even give up a #2 for Owens!

204913[/snapback]

If the Cards dont see Henry as leaps and bounds above what they have, then they are even more stupid then I thought.

If the Cards dont see Henry as leaps and bounds above what they have, then they are even more stupid then I thought.

204917[/snapback]

What if they think 5th pick(or whatever) in second round is a better option?

it was expected.

2nd rounder is not to much to pay for a young 1300+ yard RB.

but then again TO went for a second...

but AJ feely went for a second rounder....

its all about what they are willing to pay.

and carolina has a good running back. they were lost due to injuries. doesnt mean they wont be back next year. i can see it now. the eagles trade their first rounder for R. Moss cus they dont have any recievers... :lol:

204424[/snapback]

TO going for a second was a red herring. TO should have become a free agent, except that his agent missed some deadline to file for free agency. So San Francisco assumed they still had his rights, which they traded to Baltimore. Except it turned out there was a special provision in TO's contract which gave his agent extra time to file for free agency. On this basis, TO signed with Philadelphia as a free agent. The whole thing went to arbitration, with Philadelphia giving San Francisco and even Baltimore compensation for TO, but not as much compensation as San Francisco would have gotten had there not been this controversy. Had the parties not worked out this compromise, it's likely that neither San Francisco nor Baltimore would have gotten anything, because the wording of the contract favored TO.

you're forgetting seattle - shaun alexander is most likely gone.  oakland's an obvious choice. norv turner likes inside-the-tackles runners like henry and they're desperate for one.  henry had some good games against the fins while turner was there, as i recall.

204532[/snapback]

I think the best fit would be Detroit. There a good young team on the move.

Jeff

I think the best fit would be Detroit. There a good young team on the move.

Jeff

205106[/snapback]

The Lions drafted Kevin Jones this year and he's had a successful rookie season. I don't believe they'd be interested in Henry.

It really wouldn't suprise me to see him traded to a playoff team for a late 1st on the day of the draft if the top RBs are gone towards the end of R1. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia come to mind. Pittsburgh would probably be a more likely destination, given that the Steelers' top two RBs are older than dirt and that they don't ask their RBs to do much besides just running the ball.

In any event, I don't believe the Bills will be willing to trade him for less than they have invested, which is a late 2nd round pick. Even in that situation, I suspect that they would want a conditional pick in the 2006 draft.