Rush to finally release remixed version of Vapor Trails

Great news. Song wise it's one of my favorite Rush albums, but the mix on the original release was an embarrassment. There have been a lot of fan "remixed" versions floating around, but none of them really seemed to do much to my ears. Let's see what they were able to accomplish by going back to the masters.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rolling Stone is streaming the whole damn thing!

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/rush1.html

I'm only on Ceiling Unlimited, but check out the guitars at the end of track 1 - completely unheard in the original. Every single bass line is so much cleaner. I think this is gonna rapidly move up on my "favorite Rush disks" chart.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Rolling Stone is streaming the whole damn thing!

http://www1.rollings...ayer/rush1.html

I'm only on Ceiling Unlimited, but check out the guitars at the end of track 1 - completely unheard in the original. Every single bass line is so much cleaner. I think this is gonna rapidly move up on my "favorite Rush disks" chart.

I'm just starting it now. This is the first new Rush album I've listened to since Roll the Bones. I have to leave in 20 min. to run errands, but I'll finish the album upon my return and let you know what I think. (I love Rush, but stopped listening to new stuff quite a while ago, as you can see)

I'm just starting it now. This is the first new Rush album I've listened to since Roll the Bones. I have to leave in 20 min. to run errands, but I'll finish the album upon my return and let you know what I think. (I love Rush, but stopped listening to new stuff quite a while ago, as you can see)

Then I'm interested to hear your opinion. There was a huge shift in sound that started with Roll the Bones, became WAY more pronounced with Counterparts, and continues to this day. A big-time return to their roots as a guitar-driven "power trio" with reduced use of synths.

Then I'm interested to hear your opinion. There was a huge shift in sound that started with Roll the Bones, became WAY more pronounced with Counterparts, and continues to this day. A big-time return to their roots as a guitar-driven "power trio" with reduced use of synths.

Okay ... I tried, but I don't like it. I respect that they have changed over time. That's totally understandable. Given the fact that this came out in 2002 (originally), I was expecting some meatier bass lines and drumming. Geddy Lee overdoes the chords on the bass, in my opinion. The drums sound like a drum machine ... certainly drums that could be programmed by a drum machine.

These things just aren't so on their first 10 albums. But I get it ... their 10th album was 30 years ago and 13 years prior to Vapor Trails.

They're different bands. I respect the talent in the record, but it's just not the Rush that I like.

Some Rush fans love all of their stuff. I have a very close friend who loves all Rush albums.

I love every album through Moving Pictures.

I like Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. Their synth movement didn't bother me because the drums, bass and guitar all remained phenomenal.

I thought Presto, Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones were okay.

And then I just stopped listening. I'm glad I listened to this and I appreciate you sharing the link.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying it's not my cup of tea.

Now I'm in the mood for old Rush, though. I think I'll do some Fly By Night!

Thanks for that, Gugny. I'm the opposite - I was losing interest by the time Presto & Roll the Bones came around but have gotten more and more back into the band with each more recent album.

You bet. We can certainly agree that they're one of the greatest bands ever!

Okay ... I tried, but I don't like it. I respect that they have changed over time. That's totally understandable. Given the fact that this came out in 2002 (originally), I was expecting some meatier bass lines and drumming. Geddy Lee overdoes the chords on the bass, in my opinion. The drums sound like a drum machine ... certainly drums that could be programmed by a drum machine.

These things just aren't so on their first 10 albums. But I get it ... their 10th album was 30 years ago and 13 years prior to Vapor Trails.

They're different bands. I respect the talent in the record, but it's just not the Rush that I like.

Some Rush fans love all of their stuff. I have a very close friend who loves all Rush albums.

I love every album through Moving Pictures.

I like Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. Their synth movement didn't bother me because the drums, bass and guitar all remained phenomenal.

I thought Presto, Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones were okay.

And then I just stopped listening. I'm glad I listened to this and I appreciate you sharing the link.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying it's not my cup of tea.

Now I'm in the mood for old Rush, though. I think I'll do some Fly By Night!

Try the latest one, Clockwork Angels. I am like you mostly, as you pretty much described me to a Tee with your post. However, I have to say that CA is probably top 6 all time favorite Rush albums. It's THAT good...

Try the latest one, Clockwork Angels. I am like you mostly, as you pretty much described me to a Tee with your post. However, I have to say that CA is probably top 6 all time favorite Rush albums. It's THAT good...

Yes. Post Roll The Bones I'd rank the albums:

Clockwork Angels

Counterparts

Vapor Trails

Feedback

Snakes and Arrows

Test For Echo.

Yes. Post Roll The Bones I'd rank the albums:

Clockwork Angels

Counterparts

Vapor Trails

Feedback

Snakes and Arrows

Test For Echo.

The first 3 tracks on Test for Echo are very good. Limbo & Resist are good. Rest of it... not so much. Rarely does Rush put out an album with that much filler. Before this remix I'd probably have swapped Snakes & Arrows and Vapor Trails on that list. The funny thing is that I've listened to all 6 of these in the last 3 or 4 days.

Ok. I listened to the whole album all the way through last night, something which I could never do with the original since it was so hard to listen to I'd get a headache after a few songs. This is like a brand new Rush album, parts of songs that were buried by the original ****ty production have come to life. Song wise this was always some of their best material, but now that you can actually hear all the distinct instruments instead of a wall of noise this becomes a top 5 Rush album for me. Great stuff.

The first 3 tracks on Test for Echo are very good. Limbo & Resist are good. Rest of it... not so much. Rarely does Rush put out an album with that much filler. Before this remix I'd probably have swapped Snakes & Arrows and Vapor Trails on that list. The funny thing is that I've listened to all 6 of these in the last 3 or 4 days.

Dog Years and Virtuality alone ruin the album for me. Rush really mailed it in on that album.