#13 in '13

I have been debating this with a few co-workers for a while now, and I went back and forth between Stevie Johnson, CJ Spiller, and Freddie, and ultimately I decided to go with Stevie as the key to the 2013 season on offense.

The basis for my point of view is how well does he manage having a new QB throwing to him, whether it's a rookie, or Kolb. For a good 3rd of the season, he may very well be the only receiver on the field with game experience enough to be a factor for a new QB, plus, he will have to shoulder the load of helping the new rookie WR talent along as well. Now I'm not suggesting that if he doesn't catch 60-80 balls for 1000+ yards, and 7-12 TDs then he failed the team, I am merely suggesting that it's what he will provide as a leader on offense to a slew of new young talent and new faces that will really determine the flow of the offense, if only for a portion of the season.

I'd love for this thread to be about who you think will be the key to the Bills success, offense or defense this season...

Who's yours?

Offense: CJ. Can he handle 300 carries or 350+ "touches" whether they be runs or catches? Or maybe a better questions is can he be as effective with an increased workload? I think so, but think the offense goes as CJ goes.

Defense: I'm torn between Kiko and Leodis. If Kiko performs as advertised, that will eliminate the gaping hole in the middle to which we've grown accustomed over the past cople years. Leodis represents the CBs in general. Gilmore will be solid, but if they can't get consistently good play from the CB2 and the Nickel spots, whatever pressure Pettine can create will likely be neutralized.

Edited by uncle flap

Can't argue with Stevie. Well put IMO.

Id say CJ. Because IMO, if we had run more in the last few years, we would have limited mistakes while throwing the ball and won more games. If CJ tears people up this year like he did last year, I have no doubt that he will be one of the most valuable people in the NFL.

With all that said, however, is that all of CJs success this year will not fall on CJ. We all know what he's capable of. It's about Marrone and Hackett. If they can manage to get CJ enough touches to turn losses into wins.

I will leave QB out I the discussion. I'll go with Stevie as well. I like the talent around him now but thought that he was the most indispensable player on offense lat year. Not that he was the bet weapon but the drop off from him to who was next was huge. That gap has narrowed some but especially early in the season he will be a key.

On defense it has to be Dareus for me. The Bills passed on AJ Green, Julio Jones and JJ Watt to pick him (all players at positions of need at the time). He needs to develop into the dominant force that he has shown flashes off. I he can along with Williams, Williams and Carrington (at times) that s line could be dominant. If that the case the talented young LBs won't have the pressure on them at this early stage of their careers.

Defensively I totally agree with Leodis McKelvin, and I'll toss in Kyle Williams. For the cornerback position the glaring need for someone to step up is painfully obvious, but for Williams, I think if everyone wants to claim him to be as good as he is, then he needs to be a factor in stopping the run. For a team that has given up as many yards as the Bills have, I think it's time Williams shows how good he is perceived.

Let's just pretend we avoid QB...I'm going to say the O-line as a unit. I don't doubt CJ Freddie and Stevie will do their job but I do believe the o-line will be the make or break of this years offense. Is CJ running through bullet holes or garage doors? Will Stevie catch balls in the air or off a bounce. O-line will be of tremendous importance, especially with uncertain QB play.

why would it be hard for a new qb to throw to sj? his specialty is being open underneath. Any qb can throw a 7 yard pass. Unless we exclusively go deep every play, the idea that SJ doesnt "fit" the new offense is idiotic. What passes exist that a strong elusive wr cant catch?

As far a cj is concerned, I dont think he is a 300 carry back and would definitely slow down with too many carries and hits. Let FJ take it on first and some second downs and tire out the D. then let CJ come in and rip off a 50 yard tds. Those thinking cj can just come in and carry 30 times a game will be dissappointed when his ypc go way down.