Carrington should start at DE

Comparing him to Maybin doesn't do a lot to prop him up as a contributor. Certainly not with his 28M dollar contract.

Despite Maybin's fluke stretch where he had 6 sacks (basically blitzing like an extra DB), he amassed a total of 1 tackle no sacks in 10 games last year.

He wasn't comparing him to Maybin as a player, but rather as to how the Jets utilized Maybin during his time there.

For the record, his $28M contract is a very inflated number, he only got $7.9M guaranteed and has a cap hit of $4M this year; he'd be $4.5M in dead money if they cut him. After this season, his cap hit goes up to $5.5M and the dead money drops to $3M:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mark-anderson/

He wasn't comparing him to Maybin as a player, but rather as to how the Jets utilized Maybin during his time there.

For the record, his $28M contract is a very inflated number, he only got $7.9M guaranteed and has a cap hit of $4M this year; he'd be $4.5M in dead money if they cut him. After this season, his cap hit goes up to $5.5M and the dead money drops to $3M:

http://www.spotrac.c.../mark-anderson/

He was not comparing them directly as players, but was comparing their usage/skill set. If you have to start coming up with schemes like the ones needed for Maybin that doesn't bode well. That's my point. They way they used Maybin was basically as a blitzing DB on the outside in overloaded formations so that he didn't have to take on a LT on his own. And that was only successful for a short spurt. If he can only contribute in a gimmick like that, it basically says he is not a complete player, despite getting paid like one.

I'll point out that Maybin and that scheme were completely neutralized last year (1 tackle, no sacks).

Regardless, Anderson is still getting a healthy salary this year, and the contract information you mentioned supports my opinion that he is a top candidate to be cut. The Bills can save quite a bit of money on him. He's older now, and has had only very limited success in the NFL.To be clear, I'm not saying necessarily that he should be cut, but that the Bills are almost certainly considering it.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

He was not comparing them directly as players, but was comparing their usage/skill set. If you have to start coming up with schemes like the ones needed for Maybin that doesn't bode well. That's my point. They way they used Maybin was basically as a blitzing DB on the outside in overloaded formations so that he didn't have to take on a LT on his own. And that was only successful for a short spurt. If he can only contribute in a gimmick like that, it basically says he is not a complete player, despite getting paid like one.

I'll point out that Maybin and that scheme were completely neutralized last year (1 tackle, no sacks).

Regardless, Anderson is still getting a healthy salary this year, and the contract information you mentioned supports my opinion that he is a top candidate to be cut. The Bills can save quite a bit of money on him. He's older now, and has had only very limited success in the NFL.To be clear, I'm not saying necessarily that he should be cut, but that the Bills are almost certainly considering it.

In a way you illustrate my point. Anderson is not a guy that you can line up against an O-lineman straight up and expect anything but a pancake. As for him not being a complete player, in case you haven't noticed the Bills don't have anybody in the front seven that can be called a complete player. Last year in a very basic scheme, they all typically got handled. The very reason they brought Pettine into the fold was to be flexible in his attack and move everybody around. What you call gimmicky is the only way you will see positive results as the entire front 7 will have to be lined up in a variety of locations, angles and responsibilities to make the big plays. We all love Kyle but he has some glaring weaknesses to his game, they all do. Anderson has much more to bring to the table than Maybin in terms of physical tools, experience, and coverage ability when healthy, and my thought about using him the way the Jets used Maybin was not to suggest that he would be excluded from lining up in other ways. Not every suggestion of usage for a player means the exclusion of other roles. If you don't feel comfortable with the idea that gimmicks and trickery will be necessary on both sides of the ball to win games, then you might want to stock up on Pepto before September.

In a way you illustrate my point. Anderson is not a guy that you can line up against an O-lineman straight up and expect anything but a pancake. As for him not being a complete player, in case you haven't noticed the Bills don't have anybody in the front seven that can be called a complete player. Last year in a very basic scheme, they all typically got handled. The very reason they brought Pettine into the fold was to be flexible in his attack and move everybody around. What you call gimmicky is the only way you will see positive results as the entire front 7 will have to be lined up in a variety of locations, angles and responsibilities to make the big plays. We all love Kyle but he has some glaring weaknesses to his game, they all do. Anderson has much more to bring to the table than Maybin in terms of physical tools, experience, and coverage ability when healthy, and my thought about using him the way the Jets used Maybin was not to suggest that he would be excluded from lining up in other ways. Not every suggestion of usage for a player means the exclusion of other roles. If you don't feel comfortable with the idea that gimmicks and trickery will be necessary on both sides of the ball to win games, then you might want to stock up on Pepto before September.

I know what you are trying to say, as Anderson has shown occasional flashes of pass rushing skills during his career (with extreme inconsistency). I'm as familiar with Pettine's style as anyone else here. And I am very happy to have it. It's an aggressive defense, however I wouldn't call it a gimmick defense (we haven't even seen it yet). They had a plan in NY to make the most out a lesser player in Aaron Maybin...That's great and all, but it's much better to have GREATER talent where gimmicks aren't required for success. For instance, Maybin was a huge liability against the run. Pettine himself has said multiple times that he likes guys that can do multiple things, Anderson is not one of those guys. He certainly hasn't been one of those guys to this point in his career (he's 30).

I do however feel that we have much more complete players upfront than Mark Anderson, and in a huge way. I still buy into this team having a lot of talent up front, but they have not had the coaching to use it. I also like the moves we made in the offseason such as getting Jerry Hughes and Drafting Kiko. I still believe we have terrific talent in KW, Dareus, Williams, and Carrington up front. I certainly don't equate Anderson's talent level to theirs.

By all accounts, Anderson is well behind the other Journeyman guys like Jerry Hughes and Manny Lawson (For good reason). Yet he is making much more. Like I have been saying from the beginning, he is a strong candidate to be cut. If Aaron Maybin could do it, you don't need to pay 28M for a guy like Anderson to do it.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

All off season I've heard that Carrington is poised to have a monster year. I think we should cut Anderson who did'nt do diddly befoe he was hurt last yr. He is a big cap number and we can use it for another position of need or maybe put it towards Byrd or next yrs free agents to be. Thoughts?

LV

Lets wait till the pre-season is over. I`m not buying any hype.

1. They have plenty of cap room to sign any FA they want. They chose not to resign Levitre and they can make Byrd highest paid safety in theleague if they want.

2. Anderson is not a 3-4 DE. Dareus, Branch, and Carrington will play those roles. Anderson is a 4-3 DE. They will be in the 4-3 over half of the time as the nickel defense, used almost 45% of the time, will be a four man line and they will still use a 4-3 base from time to time.

3. I too am hoping for great things from Carrington. He was drafted to be a 3-4 DE not a 4-3 DT.

4. The real competition and unknown is the DT and NT rotation. If Troupe is healthy then he rotates with Kyle Williams at the nose. If he is not then Branch sees a lot more time at NT. If Kyle Williams plays NT on running downs more than 50% of the time we are screwed. MLB is a huge question mark. Playing a small NT often with our LB's will kill this defense. Opposing teams will avg 5 yards a carry straight up the gut.

Good points except assuming Troupe will play if healthy. He still has to be effective in camp and preseason or he is gone. Still wish we had kept Kellen Heard instead of Troupe, he would have fit perfectly in this D and the kid could play.

b) Also, people love to forget that Kyle Williams' best season was as a straight up NT in 2010. That season was when he was rated like the best defensive player on PFF, made his first pro bowl and was really the season that made him thought of as the player he is today. Does anyone remember just how dominant he was in that game against the Steelers?!?!? The Stevie drop game? It was literally- and I'm not being hyperbolic- the best single game performance I've ever seen by a Bills defensive player in my life. And I go back awhile. But alas, I think he's lost a step due to injuries. I just think that, again, you're overthinking the positional aspect of it.

The 2010 season was also the last season in which Kyle Williams was fully healthy.

Besides the Pro Bowl that year he was AP All-Pro second team (along with Vince Wilfork) behind Ngata and Suh.

What has Carrington shown in 3 years other than an ability to block a point after attempt? Seriously! Some poster named Mr. Nix insisted Carrington would be better than Phil Hansen a few days after the draft. Oops!

pooh on you sir ! last year he came on. pay attention please

Good points except assuming Troupe will play if healthy. He still has to be effective in camp and preseason or he is gone. Still wish we had kept Kellen Heard instead of Troupe, he would have fit perfectly in this D and the kid could play.

he is playing, my boy T T , and i heard nothing of him yet but that.

I still think Branch can play NTover center in a pinch as can Kyle and Dareus too.

Heard was a good big kid. But ithink with some good potential in the linebackers that are not named Kelvin we have more options in how the a-b gaps are handled by the D.

Edited by 3rdand12

Ah gotcha....and I agree that if he doesn't show any signs of being able to produce he'll be cut; much like Merriman last year.

By all accounts, Anderson is well behind the other Journeyman guys like Jerry Hughes and Manny Lawson (For good reason). Yet he is making much more. Like I have been saying from the beginning, he is a strong candidate to be cut. If Aaron Maybin could do it, you don't need to pay 28M for a guy like Anderson to do it.

I must have missed all the accounts, as I don't recall such consensus that "Anderson is well behind Hughes"

And I'm still not sure what that has to do with carrington starting at 34de

Yes. Saying we should cut Anderson so Carrigan can get some run at DE is like saying we should trade Freddy Jackson so Lee Smith gets more reps at TE.

Which will in turn create more competition at the crucial long snapper role. These moves must be made.

Which will in turn create more competition at the crucial long snapper role. These moves must be made.

Interesting note: assuming Powell holds for Hopkins the entire battery will be from FSU (Powell/Hopkins/Sangborn)

And yes, I'm assuming Lindel will be/should be cut.