Math, Science Popular Until Students Realize They’re Hard

No ****.

And it's not just because American students don't want to. When I was in grad school, I had a hard time getting a thesis adviser to work with me, because a lot of professors would only work with foreign students. The reason being simple: I could say "no." If a foreign student talks back, the professor's response is "Do it, or lose your student visa." Tenured professors like slave labor.

No ****.

And it's not just because American students don't want to. When I was in grad school, I had a hard time getting a thesis adviser to work with me, because a lot of professors would only work with foreign students. The reason being simple: I could say "no." If a foreign student talks back, the professor's response is "Do it, or lose your student visa." Tenured professors like slave labor.

perhaps they didn't see the potential. inquiring and receptive mind and all....

This, all of this. People with PhD's in biology or chemistry that don't break into academia largely end up in postdoc land for years and years, because there is no real career track for that sort of thing.

People go on and on about STEM, and it's a nice acronym and all, but it's really more like TE when it comes to having decent (as far as quality of life) career prospects.

Back in the early 1990's my wife had the dilemma w/what to do with her masters in English... LoL... Go on to get her PhD? What does she do then? Clogged academia? She decided to go back to the library (worked there through the years starting up @ the BECPL as a teenager in the 1980s) to get her masters in library & information science (University of Illinois). She has been the director of various local public libraries for over 13 years now.... LoL

Back in the early 1990's my wife had the dilemma w/what to do with her masters in English... LoL... Go on to get her PhD? What does she do then? Clogged academia? She decided to go back to the library (worked there through the years starting up @ the BECPL as a teenager in the 1980s) to get her masters in library & information science (University of Illinois). She has been the director of various local public libraries for over 13 years now.... LoL

Does she know Noah Wyle?