Marvs Book

plenzmd1

Thought this book was god awful. Certainly needed a better editor. If you really are buying this book to read about Marvs time with the Bills, I would say less than 30% of the book deals with that. Mistakes on scores I remeber in my head and plays I remeber in head.

Thought this book was god awful. Certainly needed a better editor. If you really are buying this book to read about Marvs time with the Bills, I would say less than 30% of the book deals with that. Mistakes on scores I remeber in my head and plays I remeber in head.

202723[/snapback]

Not that I am a literary critic, but I thought his style was folksy and down to earth, his recollections were delivered in such a way as if you were sitting down and chatting with an old friend.

I wasn't expecting a Buffalo Bills only book, nor should he have written a Bills only book, it was his life story, focusing on his career in coaching.

He admits up front that he took literary license in writing the story. Perhaps there were some innacuracies (he identified Quinn Early as having been from San Diego) but I found it to be a good read.

Surprising was the venom that he had for his GM in Kansas City, It seemed to be his lowest point in coaching as he wanted to stay and continue to build the team.

I am in the middle of the book, and I am enjoying it.

I think it runs similar to the way a long conversation with Marv would go (if you were lucky enough to sit and talk with him). The book has kind of a absent minded professorness about it, but that's the way I've always envisioned Marv. He jumps from topic to topic for no apparent reason, but in the end you understand where he is coming from.

Is it a literary masterpiece? Nope, but, for me it is a good read.

202723[/snapback]

I'm enjoying the book. If you are looking for scores and stuff, buy a stats book. This book is all Marv, and what you are getting is anecdotes and personality. I love it.

I'm up to the KC years right now. I have to say I'm enjoying the book - I don't need all the stats and details, I have Sal Maiorana's "Relentless" books for that. It's just good to read the story of one of the nfl good guys.

Very interesting that Marv plucked the genius Bill Walsh out of high school and gave him his first college job. He did the same with one other name coach who I can't recall (Ross?). One of the more interesting pieces for me was how small the coaching fraternity is. Marv's worked with many many big names.

I have been reading the book about 10 pages at a time, since Christmas, and find it very entertaining. Sports books, in general, when written by an athlete or coach, are usually pretty dull reading, for the most part. Marv at least has a style....the man is pretty old, his Bills years, while his most sucessful, are only a small part of his career. This is not a Bills book, it is a Marv Levy book....

I read it and enjoyed it. Marv even admits that he is writing from memory and may not have every thing correct. I too, like the folksy way he writes. It is like sitting and having a conversation with him. It was interesting to read about his experiences in Kansas. Marv doesn't ususally say anything bad about anyone but this particular person must have really hurt him alot.

He admits up front that he took literary license in writing the story. Perhaps there were some innacuracies (he identified Quinn Early as having been from San Diego) but I found it to be a good read.

202745[/snapback]

Actually, unless my memory is as bad as Marv's, the mighty Quin did play in San Diego. I think he started there as a rookie, then went to New Orleans, and then to Buffalo!