OMFG - Zel Miller!

MichFan

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
What a tremendous load of stevestojan that post is.  How amazingly original.

17028[/snapback]

Hey, I didn't make the general blanket statement about Democrats and facts, so I provided some facts! :P

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the Daily Show last night was the first I had actually seen of the Hardball segment and parts of Miller's speech.

Can I ask a serious question of both sides, and that is: Is Zell Miller the emperor from Star Wars? I kept waiting for some blue lightning to come out of his hands, and for him to maybe levitate Mary Cheney or something.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...7-2004Sep2.html

this is an interesting article taking-on some of the facts used by the Republicans this week. My favorite is in regard to the claim Kerry voted against the 'new' weapons systems, which, in my opinion were simply updated cold-war era weaponry rather than RMA-styled technology.

DCTom: as an avid buff of military technology - do you think Kerry's vote was in line with Rumsfeld and the RMA proponents in the Bush Whitehouse (versus Clinton who gave the Pentagon whatever it wanted, without considering it's cost-effectiveness)?

Very interesting today: a number of letters to the editor in the OC Register basically stating that Zell is finally sounding the way a Democrat wants their party to sound.

17556[/snapback]

There are Democrats in Orange County? <_<

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...7-2004Sep2.html

this is an interesting article taking-on some of the facts used by the Republicans this week.  My favorite is in regard to the claim Kerry voted against the 'new' weapons systems, which, in my opinion were simply updated cold-war era weaponry rather than RMA-styled technology.

DCTom: as an avid buff of military technology - do you think Kerry's vote was in line with Rumsfeld and the RMA proponents in the Bush Whitehouse (versus Clinton who gave the Pentagon whatever it wanted, without considering it's cost-effectiveness)?

17550[/snapback]

My impression is no...but it's a tough question to answer without a lot of digging, as Congress rarely (if ever) votes on specific weapon systems. Rather, they do a lot of back-room wrangling on the defense budget that can kill or invigorate specific programs. The real test of Kerry's leanings, I think, isn't so much in his votes for omnibus defense budgets, but his wheeling and dealing in the budget negotiations with other senators and the civilian DoD leadership. I don't even know if that information is knowable; if it is, I don't know it.

But the reason my impression is "no" is that Kerry's voting record on the subject implies to me a reluctance to spending on defense, not a reluctance to specific projects. He pretty clearly didn't want to spend money on post-Cold-War acquisition of Cold War systems...but I haven't seen anything that would indicate a desire to spend on revolutionary systems, either. The RMA folks, on the other hand (and who, IMO, are full of crap), have always been perfectly comfortable advocating the spending billions on questionable "revolutionary" programs like the JSF or FCS. Just seems to me that, between the two (Kerry and the RMA folks), there's no real confluence of purpose there.

Take the trouble to read my prior posts in this thread regarding Miller's lies.  Lazy.

If that isn't enough for you, here is an article from Slate on Miller's lies:

Lies, Damned Lies, and Convention Speeches, Fred Kaplan, Slate

17024[/snapback]

What a crock. The author states those systems never came up for a vote, and then mentions a two bills with the same weapon systems in them, that Kerry did vote against. I guess this must be one of those true lies the terminator was talking about.

Interesting take on Miller's speech by Mccain: it could come back to haunt Bush, says McCain.

link

You need to log in to get to the story. It's the Chicago Tribune but no doubt will be picked up elsewhere.

McCain continues to mystify me. Kerry is one of McCain's best friends, his own party treats him like crap and he takes it. Perhaps they have something on him from those Keating 5 days, who knows. It's a shame, I think McCain is a man of integrity otherwise and would be happy to vote for him for President.