Never Underestimate The Hoody !!

You mean the guy who had a Dick Jauron type record before he got a top 5 all time Qb? It's amazing how great of a coach you become when you get a legend under center.

And videotape. And Ernie Adams.

I saw a stat somewhere this AM that roughly 75% of receivers targeted last season are no longer on the roster.

Its hard to believe that you have that kind of drop off and still contend... I am sure they will win the Division, but the Pats will get steamrolled by the Broncos this year....

I was thinking of almost the same thing the other day, and before the arrest and his release from the Patriots.

It could be a good time to be a Bills fan knowing that all Brady has left to start the season is WR Danny Amendola in place of the 100+ catch player in Wes Welker. Danny boy being a player who can't stay healthy, and out of 42 games he started in only 17 in his 7 year career. However they do have ex NYG TE Jake Ballard.

Lets not forget that Belichick lost his legend QB for 15 1/2 games and still managed to go 11-5 while beating the Bills 2x with a QB that hadn't started a game since high school.

If you look at Brady's stats, there is a marked improvement in them after Welker joined the team. Brady will likely fall back to where his stats were before. The problem is that the defense is nowhere near the caliber it was during their SB years/pre-Welker.

likewise, welker had a grand total of 96 for 1121 yards in 4 years prior so..... just saying, amendola is coming to the team with a resume that is not wildly different.

I was thinking of almost the same thing the other day, and before the arrest and his release from the Patriots.

It could be a good time to be a Bills fan knowing that all Brady has left to start the season is WR Danny Amendola in place of the 100+ catch player in Wes Welker. Danny boy being a player who can't stay healthy, and out of 42 games he started in only 17 in his 7 year career. However they do have ex NYG TE Jake Ballard.

Even if Ballard weren't a gimp, during his best (and only real) season he had 38 receptions for 604 and 4 TD's. And it's not like he had a schlub throwing to him.

amendola has played only 4 years with 14, 16, 1, and 11 games during those seasons (admittedly leaving games early or playing pretty banged up along the way)

Even if Ballard weren't a gimp, during his best (and only real) season he had 38 receptions for 604 and 4 TD's. And it's not like he had a schlub throwing to him.

ballard did that in 13 games his first year playing. our own scott chandler has a career high of 43 for 571 in his 15 game season last year.

just some reference material for what a 40 catch 600 yard season amounts to - good not great. certainly doesnt replace an elite weapon but if healthy wouldnt be a glaring hole

Edited by NoSaint

likewise, welker had a grand total of 96 for 1121 yards in 4 years prior so..... just saying, amendola is coming to the team with a resume that is not wildly different.

I (and I'm sure others do as well) feel confident in saying that the odds are against Amendola picking-up where Welker left off. If for nothing else, the durability aspect alone.

ballard did that in 13 games his first year playing. our own scott chandler has a career high of 43 for 571 in his 15 game season last year.

just some reference material for what a 40 catch 600 yard season amounts to - good not great. certainly doesnt replace an elite weapon but if healthy wouldnt be a glaring hole

Ballard had Eli Manning throwing to him. Chandler had Fitz. I'd say they're comparable TE's. But neither is close to Gronk or Hernandez.

I (and I'm sure others do as well) feel confident in saying that the odds are against Amendola picking-up where Welker left off. If for nothing else, the durability aspect alone.

understood, just pointing out that the two havent shown to be THAT different in their pre-brady careers. so it likewise wouldnt be a shock if amendola put together a career year. and brady still slings the ball around like we have watched him do for a decade.

Ballard had Eli Manning throwing to him. Chandler had Fitz. I'd say they're comparable TE's. But neither is close to Gronk or Hernandez.

all i was saying is that the position went from a strength to league average IF gronk also cant play. i think some get the impression they will be calling up a guy stocking shelves - reality is Ballard and Fells are not awful players - not special players but guys that can be a well functioning part of a good offense still.

Edited by NoSaint

all i was saying is that the position went from a strength to league average IF gronk also cant play. i think some get the impression they will be calling up a guy stocking shelves - reality is Ballard and Fells are not awful players - not special players but guys that can be a well functioning part of a good offense still.

What also is being missed is Brady pre-Moss / Welker.

Brady was still tossing 3500+ yards a season, 20+ TD's a year with a TD/Int Ratio of 2/1, and NONE of his WR were posting 100 catches, 1000+ yards a season. (one exception in 2001).

Brady doesn't need an all world WR. Give him a handful of "good enough" WR, and he's still dangerous.

The Pats do not need to be the strongest team in the conference. As long as the Pats remain the strongest team in the division, they are an obstacle the Bills must overcome.

Brady was still tossing 3500+ yards a season, 20+ TD's a year with a TD/Int Ratio of 2/1, and NONE of his WR were posting 100 catches, 1000+ yards a season. (one exception in 2001).

Brady doesn't need an all world WR. Give him a handful of "good enough" WR, and he's still dangerous.

The Pats do not need to be the strongest team in the conference. As long as the Pats remain the strongest team in the division, they are an obstacle the Bills must overcome.

Yea but that means he needs a better defense around him then.

understood, just pointing out that the two havent shown to be THAT different in their pre-brady careers. so it likewise wouldnt be a shock if amendola put together a career year. and brady still slings the ball around like we have watched him do for a decade.

I agree that the Pats' TE position went from tops to league average, again assuming a healthy Gronk. I'm just saying that I think Ballard won't be 100% again and had a top QB throwing to him in NY, and I don't think too much of Fells.

Actually Brady was averaging 3,700 yards and 26 TD's in the 5 years (excluding his first and 2nd years) and 4,600 yards and 37 TD's with Welker. That's a pretty large jump. And again his defense isn't what it used to be. If ever there were a season...

I agree that the Pats' TE position went from tops to league average, again assuming a healthy Gronk. I'm just saying that I think Ballard won't be 100% again and had a top QB throwing to him in NY, and I don't think too much of Fells.

Actually Brady was averaging 3,700 yards and 26 TD's in the 5 years (excluding his first and 2nd years) and 4,600 yards and 37 TD's with Welker. That's a pretty large jump. And again his defense isn't what it used to be. If ever there were a season...

1) with a healthy gronk, its still elite. Without its average.

2) the nfl as a whole skyrocketed in passing stats in that period too, so I wouldn't expect him to fall back to it.