Sports Writers, Social Media and The Fourth Wall

IDBillzFan

Oh, I don't follow him. No no no. I would never do him that satisfaction.

I do have him 'listed' though for a Hootsuite Bills Media stream. (that sentence might give some TSW users the spins)

Look, journalists, by way of employment and publication are granted authority via authorship. That's their gig. The only person who can rightfully challenge that authority is their editor. Nobody else matters. Yet, Mr. Graham seems driven to e-smite anyone who dare question his authority. It's not only that he chose to be snarky, rather it's almost more baffling he opted to respond at all. That's what makes him a douche. He's not even secure enough in his own authority to not pick little cat fights whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I think that's MO of the entire Buffalo News sports staff. They're so in lockstep with being pissy dbags that it almost seems like an order from management. I don't know if I've ever seen a less professional group of reporters, with a worse sense of journalistic ethics than that bunch over at TBN.

We deserve better. More John Wawrow's and fewer Bucky's, Sullys, and Harringtons.

Edited by biglukes

We deserve better. More John Wawrow's and fewer Bucky's, Sullys, and Harringtons.

Keep in mind and JW feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

JW is a employee of AP. AP has reported the news on any variety of topics for many decades. There is no personal opinion just facts. Now JW can and does sometimes express his personal opinion here like anyone else. The AP is a different story. facts only no opinion pieces, or comments. JW does a good job at doing just that.

As for fewer Bucky's, Sullys, etc. Maybe sticking with Chris Browns pro-corporate dribble is best for some. Since the other people you noted do express their opinions and at times certainly don't fall in line with what maybe the Bills FO wants to hear or become public sentiment.

Keep in mind and JW feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

JW is a employee of AP. AP has reported the news on any variety of topics for many decades. There is no personal opinion just facts. Now JW can and does sometimes express his personal opinion here like anyone else. The AP is a different story. facts only no opinion pieces, or comments. JW does a good job at doing just that.

As for fewer Bucky's, Sullys, etc. Maybe sticking with Chris Browns pro-corporate dribble is best for some. Since the other people you noted do express their opinions and at times certainly don't fall in line with what maybe the Bills FO wants to hear or become public sentiment.

Its not about being a conformist. Sully is criminally negative and unfair in his rants.

Sully sets the tone for National Media coverage and the population of Bills fans.

If the local coverage guy thinks One Bills Drive is a hopeless pile of doo-doo, why would the NFL Network or ESPN contradict the local guy?

This is where keepin' it in real goes wrong. He needs to help sell Buffalo and the Bills nationally not piss and moan continually.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Its not about being a conformist. Sully is criminally negative and unfair in his rants.

Sully sets the tone for National Media coverage and the population of Bills fans.

If the local coverage guy thinks One Bills Drive is a hopeless pile of doo-doo, why would the NFL Network or ESPN contradict the local guy?

This is where keepin' it in real goes wrong. He needs to help sell Buffalo and the Bills nationally not piss and moan continually.

On the Sullivan topic. I can say this with certainty he is as big a Bills fan as anyone here. He wants the Bills to succeed just like anyone else. His writing style is designed to elicit response either positive or negative. He's not the only sports writer in the US who has that style. In fact he is far from original in his writing style. I can think of several music critics that put him to shame on the piss and moan meter.

If you think ESPN or any other national organization read or need Sullivan to develop their opinions your mistaken. All anyone outside of the Bills nation needs to see is their record over 52+ years Except for only a few eras the team has been below mediocre or worse and flat out sucked. I would call mediocre at .500 winning percentage, look up where the bills fall over their whole existence. And especially the last 13 or so years.

On the Sullivan topic. I can say this with certainty he is as big a Bills fan as anyone here. He wants the Bills to succeed just like anyone else. His writing style is designed to elicit response either positive or negative. He's not the only sports writer in the US who has that style. In fact he is far from original in his writing style. I can think of several music critics that put him to shame on the piss and moan meter.

If you think ESPN or any other national organization read or need Sullivan to develop their opinions your mistaken. All anyone outside of the Bills nation needs to see is their record over 52+ years Except for only a few eras the team has been below mediocre or worse and flat out sucked. I would call mediocre at .500 winning percentage, look up where the bills fall over their whole existence. And especially the last 13 or so years.

Why would you think the National Media doesn't check out the local coverage? That is quickest easiest way to get info. Why do you think the NFL Network brings on the local media to their shows for opinions on a regular basis?

I don't doubt Sully's fan allegiance. Like I said I met him at a bar in Houston covering the game. I am intimately familiar with the Bills record what does that have to do with Sully kicking a city when it is down?

The Buffalo News Press Coverage is the best thing to happen to Bills reporting since TwoBillsDrive.

Tim Graham's articles are usually extremely well written and insightful.

That being said he does respond like Jay and Silent Bob to typical internet BS. I imagine he has a list and The Big Cat is definitely on it.

Him being adversarial doesn't effect my opinion of his writing. I like it.

JW is much better dealing with the public. I like his writing as well. I feel like JW is a huge contributor on TBD. (Like TG used to be.) If the buffoon's on TBD drove JW away that would be (another) shame.

There are plenty of people that I don't personally like but may have insightful opinions and point of view. Liking someone personally or disliking someone personally shouldn't effect judging their work product. I hate Jerry Sullivan because his writing is unfair and extremely negative. I had a drink with him at the bar once. He was ok. Although after reading one of his TP articles I wish I would have tipped him off his barstool.

(Not calling The Big Cat a buffoon. His TG crusade is separate from some of the completely unfair and idiotic attacks that TG stupidely engaged. The Big Cat is a great contributer)

Graham is the jackass. The attacks against him started off as criticisms of his article. He then basically said, "how dare you criticize me, you should be grateful that i take the time to sit here on the board." Then he threatened to take his ball and go home is people didn't stop criticizing his articles. Thats when the personal attacks started.

Tim Graham is a pompous ass with the maturity level of a 14 year old girl.

OK, so "we" don't like what TG says/does and call him names and deride him.

But when TG doesn't like what "we" do, he can't name call and deride "us?"

Now who's putting who on pedestal?

Look, I don't want to come off as some TG groupie or apologist, but I thought that his participation on the board was very cool. Maybe a cynic would say he was simply trying to gain readers or attention, but I believe him when he said that he initially enjoyed coming here. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy surrounding this scenario.

Everyone seems to ignore the fact that TG doesn't owe you or I anything. So just like you have the choice to ignore his so-called "rules," he has the choice to "take his ball and go home."

I've asked this upthread (and in other threads broaching this topic) and no one ever seems to answer, but how many of you would continue to post here if you were constantly berated? I know that some people enjoy the give and take that is sometimes the nature of forums like this, but what I see here is TG being criticized for dishing it out when he does AND for keeping his mouth shut (ie leaving TSW). What the hell do some of you want?

OK, so "we" don't like what TG says/does and call him names and deride him.

But when TG doesn't like what "we" do, he can't name call and deride "us?"

Now who's putting who on pedestal?

We're Internet trolls. He's a professional journalist. Of course he gets a pedestal, and along with it, expectations from us for how he conducts himself.

Look, I don't want to come off as some TG groupie or apologist, but I thought that his participation on the board was very cool. Maybe a cynic would say he was simply trying to gain readers or attention, but I believe him when he said that he initially enjoyed coming here. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy surrounding this scenario.

Everyone seems to ignore the fact that TG doesn't owe you or I anything. So just like you have the choice to ignore his so-called "rules," he has the choice to "take his ball and go home."

Where's the hypocrisy? This the Internet, there are no red carpets here. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but if you EXPECT the Internet to grovel at your mere presence, then you're in for a rude awakening. Tim should have known this.

I've asked this upthread (and in other threads broaching this topic) and no one ever seems to answer, but how many of you would continue to post here if you were constantly berated? I know that some people enjoy the give and take that is sometimes the nature of forums like this, but what I see here is TG being criticized for dishing it out when he does AND for keeping his mouth shut (ie leaving TSW). What the hell do some of you want?

I've been berated here many times. And IIRC, it wasn't Timmy "dishing it out" or even participating in the "give and take," because if he had--like JW does--there wouldn't have been issues. Instead, he acted like the King of TSW, and the moment a glob of mud was hurled his way, he got all pissy.

Sully - talented writer with a horrible attitude

Bucky - Sully's attitude with no talent

Graham - pretty good writer and attitude, except online

Gaughan - the best of all of them

Pretty much dead-on.

Think about this as you read the next Sully article that might make sense to what you are thinking as a Bills/Sabres fan ... is he going out on a limb in any way? Do you recall him ever doing so? He blasted Nix mercilessly for the luxury selection of CJ Spiller, but you didn't hear too much of that criticism last season, did you. There might have been a slight mention of it around the time Lynch was named to the ProBowl. There's a reason that most players eventually get fed up with Jerry. He is adept at playing both sides of the coin, re-hashing the past, and using the wonderfully accurate benefit of hindsight to validate his argument/criticism-du--jour.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Pretty much dead-on.

Think about this as you read the next Sully article that might make sense to what you are thinking as a Bills/Sabres fan ... is he going out on a limb in any way? Do you recall him ever doing so? He blasted Nix mercilessly for the luxury selection of CJ Spiller, but you didn't hear too much of that criticism last season, did you. There might have been a slight mention of it around the time Lynch was named to the ProBowl. There's a reason that most players eventually get fed up with Jerry. He is adept at playing both sides of the coin, re-hashing the past, and using the wonderfully accurate benefit of hindsight to validate his argument/criticism-du--jour.

Criticism-du--jour. is exactly it.............One thing in the vein that kills me about him is that he'll be assigned something like the Super Bowl, and instead of just writing about a team, he'll then have to turn the column into "now compare this to the stinkin' Bills" - the thing will have nothing to do with a Buffalo team, but it will be twisted into a critique nonetheless.